Recommendation for DDR2 ram for Asus P5KC?

Paladash

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
Hi Guys,

Just in the process of putting together my checklist for a new system and am scratching my head a bit on the memory I need. I'm looking at using the Asus P5KC mobo, as I've had an Asus board before and was happy with it, and this mobo will utilise both DDR2 or DDR3 memory. I'm not spashing-out on DDR3 memory now as it's just toooo expensive. Will be using Vista 64-bit so wish to buy 4GB of RAM.

The other 'main' components in the system will be:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping (2.4GHz 1066MHz)
PSU: Enermax Galaxy 1000W EGX1000EWL ATX2.2 Modular PSU
GPU: Keeping my 8800GTX

I've never overclocked anything before but may give it a go once I've had the system for a while so, with this in mind, does anyone have any recommendations on DDR2 RAM for this set-up please? Would like something offering good 'base line' performance, reasonable overclocking opportuities, and 'stability' (very important). What a wish-list! :) The mobo has 4 x DDR2 slots btw..

Any suggestions most appreciated. Cheers guys!

fretman

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
I would not recommend OCZ ram. Go with Kingston ram as they're a recognized brand name for this board.

I have the P5KC with OCZ PC2-6400 ram and I can't get my system to run at the spec speed of 800mhz. And apparently I'm not alone in this. There are alot of stories about people who cannot run their OCZ ram at spec speed on this board.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
DDR2 are becoming so cheap right now with the advent of the DDR3. Performance wise with gaming DDR2 and DDR3 will not much have difference but a few fps. Overclocking wise you should use good quality high performance memory. DDR2 800 would be a balance overclocking pair for that Q6600. Corsairs have stable DDR2 800 and goes for around $80. I'm assuming you're only going for mild overclocking with the cpu air cooled so a DDR2 800 would be perfect for it. DDR2 1066 rams will have high overhead but with air cooled cpu you woun't be able to push the fsb high enough. So again the DDR2 800 be a good match. And yes since you are using Vista 64-bit you can use 4x1Gb ram so that would be around $160-$180 for the ram.

Wow! A 1000watts PSU.

Either of these 2 will do.

Memory - $100 shipped - $40 MIR = $60!! Solid performing CAS 4 DDR2
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory – Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145034

Memory - $115 shipped - $47 MIR = $68!! Good OC’ing RAM + CAS 4 too.
Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory – Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146565

Not sure on 2x2gig, haven't done any research on those, but if it's from Corsair/Crucial/GSkill/any major brand, should be fine.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Crucial's Ballistix line is the best! The thing I like about Crucial is you know for sure your getting the very best Micron IC's which is what OCZ, G.Skill, Corsair and all the other memory companies use in their RAM line-up most of the time. Micron is the same company as Crucial, so you know for sure what your getting.

There have been times when Corsair was using Promos IC chips in there Dominator series and that didn't make a hole lot of people happy at all. I have the Crucial Ballistix Tracers running at 1200MHz @2.2 volts.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148069

Agreed on skipping DDR-3 for current builds, unless you are a "Cash Is No Object" type who wants to show off the E-Peen, or break overclocking records and heat the house for the upcoming winter. Me? Next computer for the new memory, I think.

I have the same Processor - It'll do a 333Mhz Front Side Bus (3.0Ghz overclock) on stock power settings (or less!), no problem. Interestingly enough, that works out to a roughly 1333 Mhz on the memory side of things. So if you are planning on running 1:1 FSB:Memory then you'll want to make sure your memory and Mobo support that. IMHO, 1:1 is a lovely target. But reality is what it is, and the DIMMS I currently have don't like running that fast. At least not four at a time on this particular motherboard.

So I set them at 1066 (533 apiece), which is exactly what they are rated for. My system is beautifully stable and cool running at that setting (333Mhz/3.0Ghz into memory running at 1066). Idles in the low 30's C, and stabilizes around 57C for hours at a time under Prime 95 test 1.

If you want to push more than that, the random buzz is that 3.2Ghz (355 Mhz FSB at the stock 9 CPU multiplier, 400 Mhz if you lower the multiplier to 8) seems to be roughly the first, reasonably attainable, hurdle for an air cooled system. Some individual chips will run faster on air. Others? Not so much... Personally, I'm happy with 3Ghz, though.

Oh - When you do your install, know that Vista 64 is fussy about installing over 4GB of RAM. Might work.... Might not... Best to install over 2G and upgrade after you have installed your chipset drivers. I've also been advised to leave the network unplugged until you're done with the OS install, chipset/GPU drivers, mobo apps, and BIOS flashing routine. But I didn't do that, and it worked out fine so...

Vista 64's default security settings are pretty aggressive. For example, it'll nuke anything who's security certificates don't pass, and it may or may not allow you to unpack zip/rar files directly to your target directories. I ended up unpacking to the desktop and moving after. Haven't decided whether that's all on Vista, or if WinRAR isn't smart enough to understand when the OS asks for administrator permissions. W/E - easily fixed by lowering security settings.

Also: I have the same card, and nVidia's latest 64 bit drivers are quite nice, indeed...

Paladash

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
Thanks guys!

Forgot to mention, I'm in the UK! But no problems; I can look at the products you've recommended on the UK sites.

Basic question, but if I decide not to overlock would I be better-off purchasing 1066Mhz RAM over 800MHz? I know the 800 seems a bit cheaper, which is fair enough. I use the machine purely (well 90%..) for gaming so speed's of the essence :)

I've been looking at:

Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2 Dominator PC2-8500C5 TwinX (2x1GB)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-119-CS&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

O if your not going to be overclocking then don't waist your money on 1066, 800 will be plenty. I am running my Crucial's at 800MHz 1:1 even though they are rated for 1066MHz. Basicly I waisted money here, you have a chance here to save money without loosing any performance.