Sign in with
Your question

Gaming PC please help me out!

Last response: in Systems
September 12, 2007 1:11:38 AM

Hello everyone!,
I have been in the market for a new gaming computer for a while now. I have been thinking about building my own. Listed below is the build I am currently debating. I have also been thinking of buying a ready built system mainly because of the monthly payment option. I'm a college student, and I could use the extra gain in credit, as well as the spread out cost. I'm looking to spend no more than $2300 on either option. The build listed below came out to around $1800ish. Few things aren't listed like OS and some cooling accessories. Any help, suggestions, comments, please let me know what you all think!

Antec 900ATX Mid Case (looking into maybe something bigger)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz
Seagate 500GB SATA HDD
Corsair DHX XMS2 Dominator Dual Channel 2048MB PC8500 DDR2 1066Mhz
BFG nForce 680i SLI NVIDIA Socket 775 ATX Motherboard
OCZ 850w GameXStream Power Supply
BFG Nvidia 8800GTXOC2 768MB
or
Keep my current BFG 7600GTOC and wait for the 9 series to make a decision.

I have a 22" samsung 226bw, Bose 3.1, along with a X-Fi FPS sound card that I will be keeping from my current computer to go with my new one

Thanks for any help and suggestions!!

More about : gaming

September 12, 2007 1:20:56 AM

you should look into the Gigabyte P35 DS3R or DS3L boards... they're good price/value, and allow for good OC'ing.

Also, look at EVGA video cards, they offer a step-up program, so if you were to get the 8800gts 640 or gtx even you could step up to a 9 series within 90 days or so of purchase... and only pay the difference in cost. (that's what I believe is the deal anyway, you can read more on their website.)

Not going to say much about the ram, there's a really nice Crucial Ballistix set on newegg for $110 (ddr2 800) but if you want the 1066 that's your option.

As for looking at a bigger case... you shouldn't have any problems space/airflow wise with that antec 900, but if you're looking for a good full size check out the thermaltake armor series cases, they're great.

not sure what else to advise on, PSU might be slightly overkill, you could look at a nice Corsair 620HX or a PC P&C 750W or something... it's all up to you.

Best of luck with your build!

September 12, 2007 1:27:35 AM

Thanks alot for the advice!
I have been looking to downgrade the RAM a bit, so I will look at that option. As far as EVGA goes, I don't know much about them. I have had a few BFG products and I like thier performance and warranty. Not sure how they would compare. I understand what your saying about the PSU. I guess I was looking at future adaptability. Not sure what the newer 9 series would run well on if I choose to upgrade to one of those. Just trying to play it safe lol.
Related resources
September 12, 2007 1:29:04 AM

The RAM is overkill.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... should be fine.

You don't really need an overclocked GTX like that. MSI has a great and cheap GTX at Newegg for $500.

The power supply is overkill. Go for a NeoHE 550W. It is $60 after MIR. The HX520 should do the job too.

If you're future proofing with the PSU, the HX620 should be good enough. PC&P Quad Silencer is great if you want to shell out the dough, though.

Are you overclocking?

September 12, 2007 1:31:52 AM

Well, as far as EVGA goes, I've got a few friends that have been using them for years, and I've got one currently, I like them just fine. We also enjoy the lifetime warranty on them, and actually one of my friends is about to use that feature (after having his card 3 years) and no questions asked they're going to take care of it for him.

I think it mostly comes down to personal preference when you're up around BFG/EVGA and such... if you go down to a lesser name brand like MSI or something you might notice a performance drop. Also gotta look at clock speeds on the cards, because that'll make a difference.

I can understand wanting future-compatibility. You could look into the P35C DS3R if you have a little more to spend on the mobo... it has ability for DDR2/3 RAM so you could potentially upgrade to 3 in the future (if it ever comes down from 3-400 per kit... lol)
September 12, 2007 1:35:31 AM

I don't plan to do any OC right away, but I would like to do some moderate clocking as time progresses. Thanks for the advice...I'm going to look into those changes.

September 12, 2007 1:36:36 AM

The MSI 8800GTX is 610mhz, faster than the cheapest EVGA.
EVGA's stepup plan and lifetime warranty make them a great choice. If you're willing top spend $30, I would.
September 12, 2007 1:40:50 AM

Didn't realize that about the MSI... then again I never looked into them too much. I wrote them off as a low-budget video card and didn't give them a second thought.

Have you used one before Sanji? Do you know if they perform on the same level as the EVGA's and BFG's? I guess I can be quick to judge at times with brands I'm not too familiar with.
September 12, 2007 1:44:07 AM

So everything else seems pretty fair? I'm going to look into the PSU, GPU, and RAM, since I can save money with those choices, I may spend it on a more future proof mobo.
September 12, 2007 1:44:45 AM

In terms of video cards, there is no real difference between brands.

One might be slower thanks to their clock rate, but there isn't a real difference. The difference lies in the warranty. EVGA really shines there.
September 12, 2007 2:29:30 AM

evga is a great company and i will continue to buy from them as long as their products are reliable

as for the ram i don't think you need 1066. patriot and supertalent 800 perform just as good as the 1066. ram timings and benchmark percentages are within .1 most of the time, so it makes no sense to pay more for ram that isn't going to help you.

and as for the 9x series, you will be waiting a while. the november release is false as told by other forum users. there is absolutely no news at all about a supposed 9x series on the nvidia website as well. NONE

great video card. so keep with the 8800gtx and don't go with the ultra because you pay an extra $100 for a 3-5 extra frames (most of the time)

My computer:
e600
pc2 6400 2x1gb 800mhz
7950gt 512mb stock superclocked
p5w dh deluxe
2 seagate 15k SAS hard drives in a raid 0
!