Does NC Soft support relocation?

Hi

Just curious: Does NC Soft (NC Soft Europe that is) support your
relocation to Brighton if they hire you? In other words: Does the
compensation include a relocation package? Does anybody know?

Somebody who was hired as a Community Manager by them recently refused
to comment on this but said that Google would reveal the information. I
thought I was good at googling things but apparently I'm not... :-(

thanks,
Thomas

On Wed, 18 May 2005 15:39:59 +0200, Thomas Adams
<thomas.o.adams@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi
>
>Just curious: Does NC Soft (NC Soft Europe that is) support your
>relocation to Brighton if they hire you? In other words: Does the
>compensation include a relocation package? Does anybody know?
>
>Somebody who was hired as a Community Manager by them recently refused
>to comment on this but said that Google would reveal the information. I
>thought I was good at googling things but apparently I'm not... :-(

You're best bet is to email them rather than posting in a newsgroup
they don't support or read. The most likely answer is "no". Game
developers don't tend to get a lot of benefits except for the -big-
positions. Definitely not community managers or GMs, who are both just
glorified customer service reps.

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814

Dark Tyger schrieb:

> You're best bet is to email them rather than posting in a newsgroup
> they don't support or read.

I actually did but got no reply. Hence my posting. The same question in
the official forum was also never replied to.

> The most likely answer is "no". Game
> developers don't tend to get a lot of benefits except for the -big-
> positions. Definitely not community managers or GMs, who are both just
> glorified customer service reps.

Why are they asking for uni degrees then? Isn't that a bit too much
asked for a CM? I mean, reading and writing web boards, liasing with
game mags and exhibitions doesn't exactly sound like you can only do it
when you have a uni degree in something.

What are the big positions you mentioned? I assume marketing is one, how
about localisation? That's certainly something not everybody can do so I
think they might invest in somebody that fits the requirements a bit
more than usual.

~T.

PS: Is there a more suitable newsgroup for this topic?

Thomas Adams <thomas.o.adams@gmail.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>Dark Tyger schrieb:
>
>> You're best bet is to email them rather than posting in a newsgroup
>> they don't support or read.
>
>I actually did but got no reply. Hence my posting. The same question in
>the official forum was also never replied to.
>
>> The most likely answer is "no". Game
>> developers don't tend to get a lot of benefits except for the -big-
>> positions. Definitely not community managers or GMs, who are both just
>> glorified customer service reps.
>
>Why are they asking for uni degrees then? Isn't that a bit too much
>asked for a CM? I mean, reading and writing web boards, liasing with
>game mags and exhibitions doesn't exactly sound like you can only do it
>when you have a uni degree in something.

For the same reasons you need to be a high school graduate to be a
garbageman.

They get so many applications for any position they have to cull them
somehow.
A uni degree will at least give them some hope that you know how to
buckle down and get the job done, and at least a faint hope that you
will actually be able to communicate clearly.

Imagine instead they've hired someone straight out of highschool who
puts out press releases (or forums posts) using things like u for you, r
for are, ur for your and you're and can't tell the difference between
to/too/two and there/their/they're.

It would make cryptic look exceedingly unprofessional to have someone
like that communicating in their name.

>What are the big positions you mentioned? I assume marketing is one, how
>about localisation? That's certainly something not everybody can do so I
>think they might invest in somebody that fits the requirements a bit
>more than usual.

I would assume upper management positions and/or very highly skilled
programmers/artists.

There's never a need to get a customer service rep from elsewhere since
it's not really a "highly skilled" position.

Xocyll