New gaming rig in the works

Hi there, this is the new rig I am in the process of building, and I'm looking for some input.

The focus will be heavy on gaming; current and future, multimedia, possibly a dual boot XP/Vista so I am looking to max out performance. I'm also a pack rat so my current 1.6Tb will probably be expanded in the future.

Any suggestions and improvements are greatly appreciated, current cost clocks in at 2270$ I don't want to raise the price too high but 2000 to 2500 (cad $) is pretty much my comfort zone. I'll be buying the parts in batches, case, proc and audio are probably going to happen by the end of the week.

Mobo: S775 ASUS STRIKER EXTREME NF680 PCIE
(I am not certain if I should go for this guy, or a cheaper board with similar functions, feel free to make a suggestion of a board you believe would be adequate. Tried checking out the P5K-e\wi-fi but asus's web site is just driving me nuts with it's slowness today and I'm not sure I want wifi anyway.)

Proc: Core2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHZ LGA775
Audio: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Case: Antec 900 Advanced Gaming Case
Power: OCZ GameXStream 700W ATX12V 24PIN SLI Ready Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black
Heatsink: Coolermaster GeminII Copper Aluminum 6 Heatpipe Cooler 2X120MM LGA775 Socket AM2 S939 S940 S754
Heatsink fan: 2x Yate Loon D12SL-12 120MM Quiet Cooling Fan 1350RPM 47CFM 28DB 3PIN & 4PIN Sleeve Bearing OEM
Video: BFG TECH GeForce 8800 GTX OC 768MB GDDR3 PCIX
Ram: 2x CORSAIR 800MHZ DDR2 NO-ECC 2048MB TWINX
10 answers Last reply
More about gaming works
  1. Hey looks alright. I wouldn't the do that Striker, save some money, its not really that good of a board and you aren't doing SLI. Get a nice P35 board. the P5K is alright, you can go with that.

I don't know if you need the XtremeGamer card. I'd say get one later if you feel like the onboard audio isn't up to your standards.
  2. I've always had nothing but trouble with on board audio, most of the time it ends up being a realtek card and those card have absolutely no proper driver support and can crash certain games (Battlefield 2142 was a prime example.)

Plus its not that expensive just 120$, the striker however is mucho expensive, which p5k would you recommend?
  3. Well if you can get a Gigabyte DS3R. If not it depends what you need. If you want RAId get the P5K Deluxe. If you don't you can get just the basic P5K.
  4. Alright, I think I'll go for the P5k-deluxe, might not raid right now but it could be an option for the future, I checked out the p5k3, then I checked out the price of 2 gigs of ddr 3 and that option became very much unappealing :pt1cable:
  5. I remember hearing that the Gemini II isn't really that great. If I were in your shoes I would get a Thermalright Ultra 120, or something to that effect.

Best of Luck
  6. Ive got a P5K-e Wifi and its suiting me well... and it has RAID... the only difference with the Deluxe is the extra LAN port and some more copper.

XtremeGamer is useless... id step up to an XtremeMusic or even up to the Fatal1ty series.
  7. What makes the XtremeGamer useless exactly compared to the extremeMusic?

Fatality is interesting, I might keep it in consideration depending on how my spending goes :)
  8. Its not really an x-fi ... its a bit of a fake... i know it still has the x-fi chip but its been stripped of a few features and wouldnt reall offer anything over an onboard audio. No gold connectors .. alot less connectivity , no game port , no front io option (not on the extrememusic but still has the connector)... and its not as pretty haha... the fatal1ty adds the RAM and the upper market fatal1ty has the front io panel.
  9. The Gemeni 2 is meant to be used with 2 120 fans on top (hence the shape) so on it's own it may suck, but with the 2 yate loons, acording to a friend of mine who has a slightly less performant rig than the one I'm building it does an amazing job.

the one you are suggesting is just a heat sink right? at least thats what it looks like from the picture, not sure if I trust that completely.
  10. Daakuryu said:
    The Gemeni 2 is meant to be used with 2 120 fans on top (hence the shape) so on it's own it may suck, but with the 2 yate loons, acording to a friend of mine who has a slightly less performant rig than the one I'm building it does an amazing job.

the one you are suggesting is just a heat sink right? at least thats what it looks like from the picture, not sure if I trust that completely.

Sorry to confuse you like that. Yes, you will need a fan for the Thermalright Ultra 120...so yes, it will be quite a bit more expensive than the Gemini 2. IMHO, the Ultra 120 extreme is the BEST air cooler out right now, so if you are looking for maximum overclocking, this is the way to go.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems