Sign in with
Your question

Hard Drive file system errors

Last response: in Storage
February 21, 2008 3:45:19 PM

Hi guys, I' m having a bizarre problem to check out.

I was playing a game on my computer and on a day that it was snowing in Greece (Probably, you don't care about the background of the problem, but whatever).
I got a very very very quick power failure (triple, to be exact).
The UPS didn't had the time to respond (and I also have a belkin surge protection installed before the UPS).
Therefore I am experiencing a lot of freezing problems.

I was thinking about the memory so I got 3 succesfull passes with MemTest
At the start I was thinking about a bad installation of the lately installed programs but the freezing is keeping on and on to occur, after that I was checking out about the drivers but they also look good.
When I was trying to defragment the drives, I run a chkdsk on all drives and found that the first one (my system report a system file problem.

I did a chkdsk offline, and windows didn't not report any problems and started normally after that but the computer still freeze at anytime...

So, is there any way to get the file system fixed or do I have to get a format on my drive (low level), or worse is there any hardware problem on my drive? :??: 

My computer: ASUS M2N32 WS Professional, AMD Athlon 6000+, 4GB Twinmos Twister @800, 2*WD 80GB 7200, XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog Edition, Creative Audigy, HL DVD-Drive Drive and Pioneer DVD-RW Drive.
February 21, 2008 4:14:32 PM

That is typical of Windows to report file issues running chkdsk while the OS is being used. Since it didn't report any problems during the second one, I would bet there isn't anything wrong with your file system.
February 21, 2008 4:37:22 PM

Ok, nice with that but the problem is that I still don't know why the computer is freezing (at anytime, gaming, defragmenting [not the drive where is the system], surfing on the net, downloading, etc...).

Anyone with an idea?
Related resources
February 21, 2008 5:00:28 PM

freezeron,

Go to "run", type in "eventvwr.msc". Go through there and find the errors. Figure out what is causing the freezes and such. Another thing you can do is make sure you don't have any bad sectors, a tool like HDtune can tell you pretty simply. Open it and windows will report reallocated sectors. If it's a fairly high number, say 50 or greater, then you might want to consider getting a new drive.

You probably don't have bad sectors, but it doesn't hurt to check. So, use the info from event viewer to figure out what is causing the crashes, and then go from there. If windows won't fix the file system, you might need to back up data and reformat.
February 21, 2008 5:20:38 PM

The eventviewer doesn't see anything wrong...
And the HDTune doesn't report anything bad (health status) OK with big green letters (05) Reallocated Sector Count: Current 200 Worst 200 Threshold 140 Data 0 Status Ok.

Should we move the thread to another section?
!