Nvidia 9000 series?

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
same price as the 8800's that came out last year

and no one knows when the cards are coming out but Nvidia a while ago said they would release new line of cards every year, so if that statement runs true we should expect them around December

biohazard420420

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Normally I would agree with them coming out around december but I would have expected to at least have a little info on the 9000 series card by now if that was true. I think they are probally going to put off releasing the 9000 series till mid next year since while the 8800 ultra cant max out every games graphics wise right now (at extreme res of course) that there is no calling for an even faster card right now and of course they have no competition right now at the high end anyway.

andybird123

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007

Last year, the 8800's came out in November, there was no official word from Nvidia till late october. All the rumours have said that SOMETHING is coming out in November so I'd expect to hear something official over the next 3 weeks.

blashyrkh

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
Well, AMD will present its new line, RV670 (HD2950) at the of november so I don't think NVidia will just stand in the corner watching during holiday season. I think we should all be expecting something (I believe it will be mid-high end, like an 8700 cad) by the end of this year.

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
There are normally some leaks of information. There have only been ones from theinquirer.net.

Don't hold your breath or anything... no one knows what may be popping out... or not.

pidesd

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007

consider a rma for it have been said that ati has a nice refresh coming soon that might be worth waiting for. seriously.
you would save a little i think (maybe hundreds) and have a much less hungry and noisy and heaty card.

by the way the gtx is a big gamer card (or big pocket card;))

lets face it. the gtx is just an abnormally sized card not meant to make money with. it s just like the cadillac escalade.

halcyon

Splendid
LOL, I just went with the GTX so I could actually function in games I might try. It seemed like the best solution for 2500x1600 for less than $550.

However, if ATi or nVidia come out with something nicer w/in the next 2 months, then I'll know what to ask the wife to give me $$ towards for Xmas.

...besides its gonna be cold before too long, the GTX will serve as a nice space heater.

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006

LOL, how true that is :)

Halcyon - don't send it back - no-one knows for sure what is coming out, when, or how well it will perform.

Just look at the HD2900PRO - that surprised everyone.

pidesd

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007

for something that performs well it sure does!

the only good thing i find good about the gtx which is totally personal is that indeed it would serves as a nice source of heat during those cold days

halcyon

Splendid
Oh, I'm gonna keep it, I don't need to have the very best graphics card, anyways, ...just wanted to try gaming @ high res on the 30". If it doesn't fit in my Thermaltake Mozart TX case (yes, I did measure) then the Dell XPS600 will be getting a nice upgrade.

...now if these new cards from ATi and nVidia are single-slot designs and way cooler (spelled quieter) and less power hungry then I'll definitely have a reason to look into that when the time comes.

pidesd

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007

true but but it s kind of foolish to think the 2900xt was a long term solution. i think that it s the same situation for the 2900 pro too. they were never meant to be money trees i think.

halcyon

Splendid
I was really considering an 2900Pro 1GB but by the time I made up my mind The Egg was sold out. I think the GTX will outperform it nicely (heck for $140 more, it damned well better) and be quieter (possibly, or am I dreaming?)

...but the 8800GT that I saw a pic of was a nice looking piece, indeed.

pidesd

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
well you have some time to think about it but i doubt the 8800gt would handle 25*16 easily...

but maybe a x2950xt for a chunk less?

oh by the way i once did some math on how much i saved with a good power supply compared to a generic one. and let me tell you that the efficient one was worth every penny. i would save the totality of the cost of my psu in 5 years in terms of electricity bill. and the difference in watts equal to around 60 watts, something similar or even less ( i didnt remember the numbers exactly) compared to the video card market in terms of consumption if we compare lets say a 8800 gtx to a a 7900gt.

just something to keep in mind IMO

halcyon

Splendid
Maybe. I'm kinda of prejudiced toward nVidia. If an ATI card performs 5% better and cost the same or less then that'd be an eye opener for me. ...I've read that these 2900Pros are really something ATI should be proud of so I was ready to take a risk, but I went with the old safety blanket anyways. ...and no, it's not because I hate the red PCB. ...had a bad experience with some ATI drivers a while back.

So, this x2590XT, think it'll render a GTX impetent? (Be faster and cooler and quieter?) That'd get my attention no doubt...if nVidia didn't have an immediate answer to it, that is. Heck in that case I'd not care if the PCB was rainbow colored.

pidesd

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245246-33-launch-rv670-november

check this out.well we never for sure when it ll come out you know how it is but still... it looks like amd is getting to something.

well nobody knows about how well it will perform but given that the architecture is the same... with a die shrink to 55 instead of 80... it just bodes well. nvidia by then might have released a card too if you prefer nvidia but i have no info on that.