How to OC my video card

jnojr

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Seems like this ought to be a sticky... what tools do I need to OC my video card?

I have an eVGA 7600GT 256-P2-N615-TX and the latest version of RivaTuner. The RivaTuner site has some pages that talk about setting up fan profiles and such, which I did. But what core / memory clock values should I try, and how should I test in order to make sure they work?

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Basically you bump 4-5 MHz at a time (core or memory not both). Then run something like HLDemo or Doom3Demo or SourceDemo. Something that is graphics intensive and look for artifacts. Log the temperatures while you are doing this.

If there are no artifacts bump it up some more while watching your temperatures to make sure they don't get too high (I'd take something like 10-15C above what they get at stock cooling). If you get an artifact turn it down some.

Once you get your max memory or core clock, set it back to stock and do the same thing with the opposite value. Again looking for artifacts and checking temperatures.

Once you get the maximum for both, set them both to what you determined to be the max. Then artifact check again. Then have fun!

jnojr

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
OK... I found and installed the HL2 demo and Doom3 demo. I'm trying to get them to go through a timedemo. Doom3 just goes back to the new game screen. HL2 I've given up on, because of all the Steam crap.

What is a demo that will adequately stress the GPU that I can quickly and easily launch a demo?