Sign in with
Your question

did i make a mistake bidding on this gpu on ebay? plz help :(

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 1, 2007 9:04:10 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item...

Its AGP as you can see and i am the current high bidder num3n. I was just wondering if i over payed for this item... im really worried and have extreme buyers remorse.. I have sent a message pleading with the seller to get rid of my bids but i somehow doubt he will do so.. I really only have a budget of about $80 and I just wanted to breath some last bit of life into my system before i go and get a totally new system when the next high end graphics card comes out. So i have really gone over budget, this was my first ebay bid ever and so am a total noob.. what on earth should i do? :( 

*also if anyone else has a higher budget than me and needs the best (i believe its the best anyways) AGP card available on the market, then go ahead and bid
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2007 9:32:30 AM

No that is one of the better video cards that you can get for AGP. There are only maybe 2 or 3 better than the x1950pro that you are biding on (x1950xt/7950gt). Only possible problem would be your PSU. You need to have a decent PSU with good amount of AMPs on the 12V rail to support the x1950pro. What PSU do you have and what are the amps on the 12V rail?

Edit: The x1950pro agp models go from $150-$180 right now on Newegg.com, so I wouldn't spend too much more on it. Look here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
October 1, 2007 9:43:20 AM

It's $155 new at Newegg (after rebate)
So your saving $25-$30 for something that is used for 1 week?
Up to you
Related resources
October 1, 2007 10:30:29 AM

You can cancel your bid.
October 1, 2007 12:40:42 PM

since forever ago, alot of people have 2 accounts because of this. They use one to check the max bids people leave to see if they have a winning chance and then retract their bid. They use the other for real bids. Sometimes people use the other account to raise the bids of their own auctions, hoping that they can extract the most out of someones max bid before exceeding it and buying the item themself.
October 1, 2007 2:08:59 PM

Yeah, 256 and 512 shouldnt really matter on that card.
October 1, 2007 3:53:22 PM

OK CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO RETRACT MY BID(sry for caps..) the bidding is almost up please PLZ tell me how to retract my bid or i may have to cancel my credit card so i dont have to pay... and the seller is not responding to my messages... even though its been over a day..

so please how do i retract my bid

*OMFG thank you guys so much for telling me that i could do that, thankfully i am no longer bidding and now i have seriously seriously learned my lesson. My Jove that was sooooo stressful

I guess my ebay account is screwed up however since it shows i retracted my bid.. (however it is a good day and a half before end time so it shouldnt be a problem..)

*also is 420 watt ocz enough for a 7800GS ?? and someone mentioned the 7950 as an AGP card, does that mean it has 2 cores, because as far as i can remember having two 7950GTX was quad sli

*also i was wondering since iv already made a topic, could someone tell me where the information related to my paypal account is stored on my ebay account??
October 1, 2007 5:41:04 PM

So you're saying you only had $80 to spend and yet you bid $112 on the card? At what point in time did you think $80 = $112? The bidding process clearly states that you're responsible for your bid. If you only have $80 to bid with, then you put your max bid at $80 minus the shipping charges or $67 in this case.

If that was my auction I would make you pay for it or have eBay shut down your account.
October 1, 2007 6:21:47 PM

I've retracted 2 bids on 2 different items in the past 6 months. You just have to select a reason.
In my case it was on Anthlon64 cpu's.
Information the seller listed about item was incorrect.
There are other options also (or just come up with one). not recommended
October 1, 2007 6:41:05 PM

i have a feeling that someone will out bid you, so you dont need to worry about it.
October 1, 2007 6:54:49 PM

Quote:
Since never ago! Ebay DOES NOT allow you to retract a bid kiddo!
What your talking about is fraud. By committing this fraud, your ripping other people off. How you say? Because they bid higher to outbid you and then you retract your bid, leaving them to pay the higher price. You cant get any more dishonest than that. :non: 

here we go again...will you never learn?

of course you can retract your bids, everyone who has ever used ebay knows you can retract them. admittedly you have to have a good reason and its not just willy-nilly but of course you can retract them...

oh and no, its not fraud to retract your bid. in your scenario, the person was agreeing to pay that price anyway and remember if you bid 100$ on an item and you only need 50$ to win, ebay bids up to the highest price for you so in reality, you retract your bid and that person now has to pay less because the amount needed to win has been lowered.

*gets on loudspeaker*

"umm...can mrsbytch have a fact check on isle 3 please? fact check, isle 3? thank you"
October 1, 2007 7:52:32 PM

Quote:
Since never ago! Ebay DOES NOT allow you to retract a bid kiddo!
What your talking about is fraud. By committing this fraud, your ripping other people off. How you say? Because they bid higher to outbid you and then you retract your bid, leaving them to pay the higher price. You cant get any more dishonest than that. :non: 

Boo-Hoo :sarcastic:  Dishonest, is the sellers with their shill biding accounts, along with eBay allowing it and at the same time does nothing to protect buyers.
October 1, 2007 7:58:52 PM

maverick7 said:
*also is 420 watt ocz enough for a 7800GS ?? and someone mentioned the 7950 as an AGP card, does that mean it has 2 cores, because as far as i can remember having two 7950GTX was quad sli

No, that would be the 7950GX2 which is not AGP. The 7950GT is a single slot, single core GPU that is both AGP and PCI-e.
October 1, 2007 8:06:46 PM

Quote:
Yeah, 256 and 512 shouldnt really matter on that card.

You'd be suprised... It won't make it a faster card but it does give you more headroom when it comes to AA and texture size - and of course, if your monitor blows up and you decide to treat yourself and get a newer, bigger one, you can run at native res easier without worrying about running out of VRAM.
October 1, 2007 8:31:46 PM

yup, and IMO your pretty stupid to buy ANY form of computing hardware of ebay its just too risky
October 1, 2007 8:40:29 PM

Ahhh how old are you? You made a decision to bid on this item and you knew what you were getting yourself into when you did, so I would say that if you are the highest bid....be a man and suck it up and pay for the card. :pfff: 
October 1, 2007 8:44:11 PM

agreed, while i was arguing with mrsbytch for his/her incorrect statements, i agree with the general feelings that if you bid you buy, it is a contract and you need to honor that. that is the reason why there are a number of times and places that ebay verifies that you want to bid and reminds you that it is a binding contract. it is fair and honest, unless extenuating circumstances apply (that's for you to decide, to each his own there) you must honor that bid.

but things happen and thats why you can retract your bid...as we have already discussed (beats the dead horse a few more times for good measure)
October 1, 2007 9:04:30 PM

Noya said:
Boo-Hoo :sarcastic:  Dishonest, is the sellers with their shill biding accounts, along with eBay allowing it and at the same time does nothing to protect buyers.

Though doing this thing with bidding on your own auction strictly to see how high it will go is surely dishonest but not strictly against ebay rules, I do believe it's actually a criminal act. I'm not 100% on this so don't jump on me if I'm wrong, but I do know that making a bid is equivilent to signing a legal contract. As such, failure to comply with said bid allows the seller to sue you if you don't pay. But on the switch side, if a seller is making false bids to raise his own price, then retracts to the previous highest, I believe to not be prosecuted for accounting fraud of some sort he would have to disclose that A) he did this and B) allow any bidders to in turn retract their bids, otherwise it's discrimination of some sort, have to treat all bidders the same, you can't give yourself special treatment. It all has to do with that bids are legally binding. So in short, it being dishonest and could cause you to lose you're ebay account are the least of your worries, I'm about 99% certain it can land you in prison for 25 years.
October 1, 2007 9:15:45 PM

cyprod said:
I do believe it's actually a criminal act. I'm not 100% on this so don't jump on me if I'm wrong, but I do know that making a bid is equivilent to signing a legal contract.

Retracting a bid is not fraud, it's breach of contract.
Breach of contract is civil law, not criminal.

Damages would be limited to what you owe the person you had the contract with... not jail time.

If people could go to jail for avoiding contractual obligations, there would still be debtor's prisons... :heink: 

Fraud is criminal, but like I said, retracting a bid by itself is not fraud. If you bid and retract for the sole purpose of raising other people's bids, yes, that's fraud. But that's not what the OP wants to do, he simply wants to retract his own bid...

October 1, 2007 9:27:39 PM

cleeve said:

Damages would be limited to what you owe the person you had the contract with... not jail time.

If people could go to jail for avoiding contractual obligations, there would still be debtor's prisons... :heink: 

Breech of contract is civil, which would be not paying for the bid, but placing bogus bids on your own auction can't be breech of contract because it's making contracts with yourself. I believe it's fraud, and fraud is criminal.
October 1, 2007 9:34:21 PM

cyprod said:
Breech of contract is civil, which would be not paying for the bid, but placing bogus bids on your own auction can't be breech of contract because it's making contracts with yourself. I believe it's fraud, and fraud is criminal.

...yes, but the original poster simply wants to retract their bid from someone else's auction. Civil.

In any case, no judge is going to put you in jail for 25 years for fraud under $1000... you might get 25 years for murdering someone (with considerably less time for good behavior). :D 
October 1, 2007 10:23:58 PM

too be quite honest i retracted my bid because i want a warranty with my card so i will be buying an Nvidia BFG card instead because of the lifetime warranty.. also i just made that $80 up.. i had more than enough money to spend on that but didnt want to bother with ATI or a HIS card which supposedly goes bad a lot.. (so i have read)

also the seller wouldnt respond and i did not know if he would ship to Canada, and i asked him but he did not respond so in turn i canceled my bid and im sure there will be no ill effects of my doing so

*and someone said something about taking it like a man and paying it.. that is just stupid, i didnt want it so i did what i did and in turn there is no negative effect whatsoever..
October 1, 2007 10:41:06 PM

cleeve said:
Retracting a bid is not fraud, it's breach of contract.

Fraud is criminal, but like I said, retracting a bid by itself is not fraud. If you bid and retract for the sole purpose of raising other people's bids, yes, that's fraud. But that's not what the OP wants to do, he simply wants to retract his own bid...

Fraud can be criminal or civil. Google 'civil fraud'
October 2, 2007 4:03:37 PM

zornundo said:
Fraud can be criminal or civil. Google 'civil fraud'

True, but retracting a bid by itself isn't fraud, civil or criminal.

And civil fraud carries no criminal penalties, like jail time...
October 2, 2007 5:59:37 PM

maverick7 said:
*and someone said something about taking it like a man and paying it.. that is just stupid, i didnt want it so i did what i did and in turn there is no negative effect whatsoever..

I think it would be best if you just stayed quiet now.
!