Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 Boot Cycle Problem

Last response: in Motherboards
October 4, 2007 6:09:24 AM

When i turn on the PC its comes up With "Award Bios Detecting IDE Drives" also the cpu fan
makes little attempt to spin but will just move a inch and gives up woddling on its bearings
(like muscle spasms)then the whole pc the turns off and then powers on again and it will just keep going

Tryed putting my brothers PSU and the cpu fan sometimes will
spin up and go but the pc still shuts off
and does the cycle again

Also tryed cpu fan on his mobo and it spins

System Specs Below

Case: Thermaltake Armor
PSU: Thermaltake Tough Power 750W
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 ''Rev 1.1''
CPU: Intel C2D E6750 ( Using Box Fan )
RAM: Corsair XMS2 DDR2 CM2X1024-6400C4 800Mhz 2 1GB Ram Modules
GPU: XFX Geforce 8800 Ultra
Drives: 4x 'Segate Barracuda 320GB'
Floppy Drive
Sony DVD +/-R Drive

i already RMA'd my previous DQ6 Rev 1.0
even have a E6600 here and tryed that. same thing :( 

October 4, 2007 6:27:08 AM

Odd indeed.
Try isolating it down to the mobo only, take out EVERYTHING exept cpu.
See what happens then if still no joy, could be a mobo issue.
Sometimes u need more ram voltage. Can u get into bios?
Also read ur mobo manual. There may be jumpers and stuff IDE vs SATA type thing.
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2007 6:44:37 AM

Are you getting any beep codes? You can check the manual for the meaning of these.

I also agree with the strip down. If it works, add one component at a time until failure occurs.
Related resources
October 4, 2007 7:26:23 AM

@mrmez was bench teseting it before this the way you said and yere same things happens

@tlmck Just got one from a old pc pluged it in no beep codes what so ever just the same boot cycle stuff

on a side note the Post Screen That I get Has No picture labels of the award, or energy star, its just thoose words i stated before it looks kinda blank? :??:  is it normal for it not to show them if somethings not working?
and no can't get into the bios either:( 
October 16, 2007 11:31:34 PM

Try this

Turn off the pc and the powersupply (if it has an on/off switch). Unplug the AC powercord. Use a paperclip to short the clear CMOS pins

Wait for a minute

Plug the AC powercord back in

Turn on the powersupply

Power back up your pc....it now should default back to the original bios...i have to do this every time i flash the bios on my X38-DQ6

Hope it helps

Kevin
October 19, 2007 8:24:39 PM

Sorry i didn't post back i did get it working it was a mix of power problems and having both ram sticks in

Howeverafter i got i working everything setup and was even enjoying the Ut3 Demo
My big Bro comes in saying i should put the second stick in i was like na i didn't really need it i was all happy but he said it would be a waste if i didn't .... Well he did it anyway
(but the 2nd ram was causing the problems tryed it even on different voltages .not going to high off corse )

Now No Matter Weather i have 1 or both rams sticks in the pc now will beep and instatnly turn off and boot cyle and keep instanly beeping and turning off .... :( 

Now Im Wondering Will Reseting The Bios Kill My Raid 0+1 Array?

if so would there be away to Fake anew array and put the disks when its off in before boot and it willl be like nothing happend?

coss i really cringe on having to install all that crap Again! took days
October 20, 2007 9:45:41 AM

No, resetting the BIOS will not hurt the array, you will just have to reset the proper settings in the BIOS.
October 24, 2007 5:46:34 AM

Got Time Out Of my busy schedule to take a another crack at it.
and after reseting The bios i get Pretty much the same thing
excpet now theres no signal from the graphics card to the monitor and no beeping either
still turns off instantly
basicly back to step one but worse don't even get a screen , Tryed single stick and both sticks same thing
Donno what to do now.
October 25, 2007 1:53:07 AM

Only the obvious can come to mind here. You are using the 4+4-pin 12V power connected to the mobo right... not just the main atx cable? Also you should have 2 pcie power connecters from the PSU (not a molex splitter) to that 8800 ultra. I imagine 1 pcie power to the 8800 utra is actually enough but you can never be too careful in situations of weirdness.
November 25, 2007 9:11:29 AM

Hey guys i'm having a very simular problem, i have....

GA P35 DQ6
E6850
CORSAIR PC8500 C5D 2 X 1024
GIGA 8800GTS 640MB
COOLERMASTER 600W PSU

It will make a beep once then reset and continue to do so, sometimes if i turn everything off and unplug psu it will switch on the following morning but it will beep once reset and then load up. if i shutdown and then try to reboot 10 - 15 mins later the probs start all over again.
December 5, 2007 11:05:39 AM

I have a GA-P35-DQ6 and it seems I have the same problem.

Q6600 Kentsfield @3.0Ghz
Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 Motherboard
2GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 Memory
EVGA Geforce 8800GTX 768MB Graphics
500GB Raid 1 System
320GB Raid 1 Data
CoolMax 700 watt power supply
Vista Ultimate 32bit
Antec 900 MidTower

Occasionally, when I boot, it will beep once and reset, do this twice and then I have to go into bios and reset the CPU buss speed and memory multiplier. Most of the time it works just fine. In other words it is unpredictable.
December 5, 2007 12:09:07 PM

Had the same problem with my GA-P35-DQ6 and a q6600. Tryed to find the problem by testing part to part. Found nothing.

Then i changed the cpu fan to a better one and the problem vanished. Strange isnt it.
December 7, 2007 3:16:27 PM

Hi,

I got a problem similar, when I start my computer, the memroy test doesn't go through and the computer stops. After severral reboot it's the same deal. I have to remove the RAM and put it back and then the computer will start.

I have played with the BIOS, but I cannot solve this issue... anyone having the same problem ?

Quote:
Then i changed the cpu fan to a better one and the problem vanished. Strange isnt it.

A power issue on the fan causing the system to crash ?
December 7, 2007 8:40:09 PM

no problem here

Intel Q6600
Giga P35 DQ6
Palit 8800 GTS 640mb
2x1GB Corsair xms 2 ddr2 800
2X1GB Kingston value ram ddr2 800
4x74gb raptor - raid 0
2x500GB Samsung
Xfi Xtreme music
LG 226 WTQ
Plextor 716SA
HEC Zephyr 750
ThermalTake Aquarius 2
ThermalTake XaserIII

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=226328
December 7, 2007 10:41:29 PM

Slyfox said:
no problem here

And that helps the people in this thread, how?
December 8, 2007 3:24:26 AM

I have found something very interesting !!! I unplugged my USB printer from my PC and now I don't get the memory test freezing when booting !!! This is very weird, I'll keep you posted on this one ;) 
December 8, 2007 7:54:58 AM

major photon said:
And that helps the people in this thread, how?

how do you set your bios?

sorry im not good in english
December 8, 2007 4:07:28 PM

Slyfox said:
how do you set your bios?

sorry im not good in english

Sorry, I did not see the link. :ouch: 

I am pretty sure the problem here is that the P35-DQ6 is a little finicky about memory. I am running a Q6600 at 3.2 GHz on air and my Corsair Dominator memory is specd at DDR2 1066. But, my computer will not boot reliably 100% of the time when overclocking unless I set the memory in bios as DDR2 800. In fact, I can't clock past 3 GHz at all unless I under-clock the memory.
December 12, 2007 6:35:42 PM

Slyfox said:
no problem here

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/8614/gigap3512pl7.jpg

Intel Q6600
Giga P35 DQ6
Palit 8800 GTS 640mb
2x1GB Corsair xms 2 ddr2 800
2X1GB Kingston value ram ddr2 800
4x74gb raptor - raid 0
2x500GB Samsung
Xfi Xtreme music
LG 226 WTQ
Plextor 716SA
HEC Zephyr 750
ThermalTake Aquarius 2
ThermalTake XaserIII

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=226328

Hi I have my GA-P35-DQ6 with 4GB(4x1gb) DDR2 XMS2 (cm2x1024-6400)
but but My computer is not recognizing all the memory ... Pulled out one by one and tried the modules, the module DDR2 1, does not recognize the memory ..

Tried the modules DDR2 and when installing the first module does not work. It seems that is off..

The system only recognizes 3Gb (When Turn On - Bios PC and in the Windows VISTA 64 Home Premium) ..

Do tou know something about this problem??

Many Thanks!

December 13, 2007 12:36:39 AM

Are you saying that one of your module is like "uncompatible" with your MB ? This is also happening to me with a of my G.Skills 8500HK (I have 4x 1Gb in total), I RMA'ed it and expect to receive a new one in a few days.

For me, this module in particular stopped my PC from booting and the MB mades the 3 beeps indicating that there was a memory problem.
December 13, 2007 5:52:29 PM

prouted said:
Are you saying that one of your module is like "uncompatible" with your MB ? This is also happening to me with a of my G.Skills 8500HK (I have 4x 1Gb in total), I RMA'ed it and expect to receive a new one in a few days.

For me, this module in particular stopped my PC from booting and the MB mades the 3 beeps indicating that there was a memory problem.

No,, iN THE Board THE First module not reading any memory (CM2X1024-6400 - XMS2 CORSAIR), the module 2,3 and 4 working fine.. Only the 1 not reconized any memory (xms2 -4X1gb).

Thanks
June 26, 2008 2:20:18 AM

I don't know if this is any help, but I'm having the same problem and I'm inclined to believe this is a mobo issue since I have seen this issue posted all over the web with this mobo. Here's what I've been running into:

Here's what I'm running-

P35-DS3R
Q6600
2x1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1066
550 watt Antec PSU
8800 GT
2x WD Raptor 74GB
1x WD 400GB HD
1x Floppy
1x Sony DRU-710A DVD+/-R/RW
Win XP Pro

When I first built this PC in the fall I kept getting the repeating power on/off issue when I first tried starting the PC. I walked away in frustration and when I tried to power it on a couple hours later it POSTed fine and has been running well ever since.

Today I decided to upgrade to a Corsair TX750W PSU after I was getting some stability issues when I added 2 more sticks of RAM. (I pulled the extra RAM out and that fixed my stability issues). After I reconnected everything to the new PSU, the on/off cycling issue started again. I tried disconnecting everything but the CPU and tried one stick of RAM at a time in each slot, but no luck. I tried reconnecting the old PSU, but the same on/off thing is still happening.

The MO is the same as everyone else seems to be reporting. If the 4-pin ATX cable is disconnected, everything stays powered up but no POST. If the 4-pin ATX is connected the the power off/on thing happens (see the youtube video posted above, I have the same issue).

If anyone has any idea how to fix this, then please post. Otherwise, I'm SOL since I'm way outside of the RMA window, and it looks like I'll be springing for aome Abit/Asus/MSI lovin...
July 11, 2008 2:58:36 PM

anyone fix i am also getting this problem on the

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P45
July 15, 2008 7:10:37 PM

GRRRR! I am pissed off again!

I have had the same issue (power cycling problem) again, the first time i resorted to replacing the mobo with another Gigabyte GA 965 P and now sometime last night the same thing happened again to my second mobo.

So this is now the second time a Gigabyte mobo has died on me in a year, I am in Nigeria so there's no hope in hell of flying back to whichever country i bought the board in for a replacement. You can't get decent electronics here, even boards this old are scarce! No chance I'm going for another Gigabyte that's for sure.

I've googled this to destruction and there is no solution to the problem that i have found at all. I think i've tried absolutely everything!

Interestingly enough, if i power up the PC without any RAM (and the 12V 4 pin plugged in) it still has the same problem but doesn't even give any error beeping. If i unplug the Gfx card (8800GTX) or one of it's power plugs and try again, I get a continous beep until the mobo does another power cycle (mine takes about 6 seconds from hitting the power). Hope that might be useful to someone!

And it makes no difference if you try with another PSU, I've done exactly that without anything plugged in except the Gfx card, ram and cpu and it's the same problem so I can only assume that it's the mobo and not the PSU. I've not had any BSOD, errors or any problems at all before this (again - exactly the same as the first time)

Gigabyte, please can you explain what the porblem is (just so we understand a little better)? I really hope for your sake you win me back as a consumer at some stage, but at this point there is simply no way!
July 16, 2008 1:17:20 AM

yea i gave up on mine after 2 days of no luck, bought a asus pq5 pro
!