richard1967_uk

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
I recently upgraded to Vista Business from XP Pro and it was, overall, a smooth process - or at least I thought it was.

Sounds dumb I know, but when I installed Vista I forgot all about my 2 drives in RAID 0 array and just let Vista do its thing. The other day I was suprised to find I was nearly out of disk space and it suddenly dawned on me I was only running on 1 disk.

My question is, to restore my RAID 0 array do I need to do a reinstall and start from scratch or can the switch be made with data on 1 drive?

My mobo is an ASUS P5N32 SE Deluxe.

Thanks.

Richard

xnamerxx

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
yes you have to start from scratch most times. Nvidia software may let you migrate to a raid 0 setup but dont count on it. Ive been using my vista with my raid 0 setup since it came out you just need to be carefull about drivers.

The simple solution is to forget about raid-0 and just install the second drive.
There is generally no real world(vs. synthetic transfer rate benchmarks) performance advantage to raid of any kind.
Go to www.storagereview.com at this link: http://faq.storagereview.com/tiki-index.php?page=SingleDriveVsRaid0
There are some specific applications that will benefit, but
gaming is not one of them. Even if you have an application which reads one input file sequentially, and writes
it out, you will perform about as well by putting the input on one drive, and the output on the other.

blotch

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
Nope, your gonna have to start over but unless you changed Mobos I dont know why you lost you array. I upgraded from XP to Vista and never had to touch my raid0 array. I use the Intel Chipset on my MoBo for raid.

Smoked Turkey

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
You could Ghost the data off of the one drive to 'somewhere else' then Pull the Ghost back down on the RAID array.

Microsoft has a Ghost like utility called ImageX.

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
I haven't had issues with RAID arrays disappearing when transitioning to Vista. I've done it on an NF4 and RD580 based boards with no issues. I'd make sure that the appropriate N'vidia RAID driver is loaded.

-mcg

TRENDING THREADS