Sign in with
Your question

Nividia - Refresh & and 3-way SLI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 1, 2007 10:26:20 AM

Seen this at neowin.net

"Nvidia Corp. not only plans to refresh its lineup of performance graphics accelerators this year, but also intends to introduce its 3-way SLI multi-GPU technology aiming extreme performance enthusiasts. But will the new triple SLI technology truly become a high-performance solution, or will share the destiny of Nvidia quad SLI?

http://news.expreview.com/2007-09-26/1190792420d3763.ht...
According to a slide published by Expreview web-site, which is presumably from Nvidia Corp.’s roadmap, 3-way SLI is Nvidia’s new “ultimate gaming platform”, which will offer ultimate performance in three-dimensional games. ATI, graphics product group of Advanced Micro Devices, also plans to offer 3-way CrossFire multi-GPU technology, however, one of the graphics processing units (CPUs) in such configuration will be able to compute physics effects in case the game supports this capability.

Initially Nvidia plans to enable triple SLI support for the top-of-the-range GeForce 8800 GTX and Ultra graphics cards, however, eventually it may support 3-way configurations of other GPUs as well. Systems with three graphics cores will be powered by Nvidia nForce 680i as well as nForce 780i platforms with the former supporting PCI Express 1.1/1.0a, whereas the latter featuring PCI Express 2.0 along with a special “BR04” switch for more efficient multi-GPU operation.

Exact capabilities of 3-way SLI platforms were unclear at press time. However, the exact feature set will mostly depend on driver support. Besides, performance boosts over single- or dual-GPU configurations will also depend on drivers. Back in 2006, when Nvidia unveiled its 4-way SLI technology, actual systems featuring four GPUs could not offer leading performance in all games due to poor drivers. Currently quad SLI technology is not supported for Windows Vista and customers who paid over $1000 for graphics cards alone have to take advantage of only two GPUs instead of four.

Nvidia did not comment on the news-story."

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/200709281607...

More about : nividia refresh sli

October 1, 2007 11:34:01 AM

sooo.... for extreme gaming you need 3 Ultra cards at 700$ each, which sums up to 2100$ only for the GPUs. How about you make ONE FAST CARD PLEASE!!!!! They are so bored to come up with new tech that they just add one more card?? C'mon ppl!!!! All gamers are not rich!
October 1, 2007 11:43:10 AM

lol...costly stuff...and not to forget a power hog.
Related resources
October 1, 2007 12:45:37 PM

And I thought SLI was a waist of money! Some games in SLI mode only give you 25-35 fps more, thats worthless if your already getting 60+ fps. I will never support a product like SLI, its not the money either it just not a good solution to a fps issue.

These companies actualy think that tripple graphics is the solution for hardcore gamers, thats as stupid as buying three houses your only going to use one.
October 1, 2007 1:02:04 PM

I would like to see the benchmarks for those, just to see if there is a reasonable gain in performance. There is no way I would get three of them... I am questioning 2 right now, but I am also looking at maybe just water cooling my videocard and then just overclocking it...

Maybe they are just trying to get close to god... the holy trinity.... or not.
October 1, 2007 1:20:31 PM

Ridiculous. Just ridiculous. Anybody spending money on that surely has more money than brains.
October 1, 2007 2:14:07 PM

3 High end video cards and no room for a good sound card?
October 1, 2007 2:14:07 PM

It's weird how the rest of the computer industry is working towards smaller, faster and more energy efficient components. Then you have video cards.

Though if the car industry is any indicator, if they market this right we could soon see email and flash game junkies with 3 way SLI.
October 1, 2007 2:19:30 PM

systemlord said:
And I thought SLI was a waist of money! Some games in SLI mode only give you 25-35 fps more, thats worthless if your already getting 60+ fps. I will never support a product like SLI, its not the money either it just not a good solution to a fps issue.

These companies actualy think that tripple graphics is the solution for hardcore gamers, thats as stupid as buying three houses your only going to use one.

You don't understand the point of SLI then. What resolution do you run your games at? Most of the people that run SLI run their games at 2560 x 1600 or 1920 x 1200 and this is where SLI makes the biggest different, and with an FPS difference of more than 25-35. Why bother with SLI when you run your games at 1280x1024?
October 1, 2007 2:25:37 PM

WHat a waste, they will all overheat. no air flow.
October 1, 2007 4:18:42 PM

gwolfman SLI generally shows a ATLEAST a 70% performance increase at any resolutions aslong as your CPU isnt bottlenecking it, so you're both wrong.

Since the pre-render limit is 3, this should still give some decent improvement. Maybe 2 will prerender while one will do AA and stuff?
October 1, 2007 5:05:02 PM

cool! no heating bill this winter!

beach party at my place in canada january 12 everyone s invited!

dont bring your dishes. i make them!

take note that my bathroom may not be accessible. my power supply will probably be in there
October 1, 2007 5:28:35 PM

if your lucky you ll probably have 2 or 3 more hurricanes down there in the states next year
October 1, 2007 5:30:42 PM

Hatman said:
gwolfman SLI generally shows a ATLEAST a 70% performance increase at any resolutions aslong as your CPU isnt bottlenecking it, so you're both wrong.

?? What? Please show me some real world OR synth benches where SLI gives >70% performance at all resolutions...
October 1, 2007 5:38:24 PM

ok my 2 cents worth........
going by my system i play games @1920x1200 max settings with one 8800gtx and i get 35-90fps in all my games i play. i dont even see the point of getting two let alone three i dont see any diff what so ever between 35 or 70fps
i truly dont get it. Has any one heard of the saying .....BRAINWASHED OR CON JOB. OR "VISTA" opps i coundnt resist lol.

October 1, 2007 5:39:12 PM

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/vga-charts/battlef...

Use battlfield2 as an example. On most other games unless there is a CPU bottleneck which there is on like prey it gives a good % improvement. Or use any of the 3dmark06's HDR stuff to see it.

Difference is sirkillalot that when new games come out you may not be able to play them all at that quality.
October 1, 2007 5:46:41 PM

Hatman

true true, then i start downgrading specs eg: shadows antx16 to 8 then 4 then 2 then off then i just upgrade my vid card again :) 
October 1, 2007 6:05:44 PM

Using all games overall benchmark on the TomsHardware VGA charts, which incorporates a wide range of resolutions and games, the range of percentage perfomance increase from single card to dual card configurations is 12.35% - 61.65%. The average performance increase is 36.52%. Also, if you take resolution specific benchmarks, on battlefield 2 for example, there is a much greater performance gain from HIGHER resolution comparison than the lower, mostly because the higher resolutions require more graphics memory, and SLI will effectively double that.

Left column is the GPU name, 2nd column is overall games FPS from 2007 VGA charts, 3rd column is overall games FPS from 2007 Dual GPU charts, 4th column is percentage difference. The min, max, and avg percent difference is shown.
October 1, 2007 7:01:27 PM

Well thats a load of crap for starters because 2x 512mb doesnt "effectibly" make 1gb, its "effectivly" 512mb.
October 1, 2007 7:21:38 PM

agentsmith957 said:
...there is a much greater performance gain from HIGHER resolution comparison than the lower, mostly because the higher resolutions require more graphics memory, and SLI will effectively double that.

While SLI tends to work better at higher resolutions, I don't believe it's due to the amount of memory.

I don't think SLI effectively doubles memory because each card must duplicate the same textures in it's own memory. Two 256MB cards in SLI do not yield 512MB of texture memory.

At least this is how I've always understood it.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 1, 2007 8:02:31 PM

Personally I'm not a fan of Xfire/SLi, but to me the major benefit is for large panels to SMOOTH OUT the MIN fps.

Now the thing is with the GX2 experience it is surprising that they can't get SFR+AFR mode or 4 way SFR to work as it requires less read ahead.

I'm very interested in seeing Quad Xfire and if they can get super-tiling to work or not?

October 1, 2007 8:34:54 PM

Supposedly in Vista64bit atleast, nvidia are working on getting it functioning with 2x GX2's, due to less OS limitations.
October 1, 2007 8:44:09 PM

yes, people, Don't forget what ended up happening to quad sli, it died a horrible death, good concept, but nvidia and m$ didn't support it
October 2, 2007 1:45:30 AM

Not that I would ever go triple SLI but that does look like a beast of a system. How it actually performs is another story of course...
October 2, 2007 3:46:10 AM

SLI doesnt double the system memory (that is 512mb + 512mb=1gb) instead if you are running @ 1920x1080 one card is rendering 2073600 pixels and all 512mbs are being used for all those pixels, now if you add SLI, you cut the cards rendering in half so now that same card and same 512mbs are only rendering 1036800 pixels each... making it a lot easier and allowing the cards to do there jobs that much quicker...

October 2, 2007 5:12:51 AM

a technical limitation under DX9 is what killed quad sli performance more than anything, driver issues less so (probably why quad sli didnt have any official support i would think)... 'hopefully' that DX design limitation has been removed under DX10, and performance then wont be hindered like before. which 'may' explain why nvidia is offering above standard sli now as an actual feature, instead of something that 'could possibly maybe work well... or not'.
October 2, 2007 8:10:01 AM

Screw triple SLI, what about the refresh people?? THE REFRESH!!?
October 3, 2007 3:06:11 PM

More importantly, YOU HAVE FREAKIN CHRONO AS YOUR AVITAR!!!

YOU ARE A GOD VALTIEL!!!!
October 3, 2007 3:31:21 PM

As much as I want to buy two more 8800GTXs, I don't see this being any more successful than Quad SLI. On the other hand, now that I've seen how the Crysis beta gives my 8800GTX a beating, maybe a few more wouldn't be such a bad idea...
October 3, 2007 3:39:13 PM

Quote:
sooo.... for extreme gaming you need 3 Ultra cards at 700$ each, which sums up to 2100$ only for the GPUs. How about you make ONE FAST CARD PLEASE!!!!! They are so bored to come up with new tech that they just add one more card?? C'mon ppl!!!! All gamers are not rich!

QFT
October 3, 2007 4:16:59 PM

Speaking from someone who already has two GTX's SLI and actually can "see" the benefits of SLI, I don't understand why one would need another Ultra or GTX for Physics rendering alone. I would think two GTX's or Ultras and one GTS 640 or 320 for physics would suffice?
October 3, 2007 5:13:25 PM

blashyrkh said:

Justr because nvidia call it extreme gaming doesnt mean it is lol, they alrady got you hooked.

If you want to see proof that MOST gamers are rich, go to nvidia SLIzone lol... they got newbies buying 2 ultras and nto having a clue what to do with them..

Still, I think this is promising, better if they make it for 3 mid range cards though. Then you can get one, then when you need more power get another, then do it again, then upgrade to the next high end single card and repeat, would be class.
a c 114 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 3, 2007 5:43:20 PM

look at all the room for the cards to breathe...

An entire system of video cards......
October 3, 2007 5:49:25 PM

Its kinda good for me I was thinking of gettnig a 680i black pearl for my bday so I could get another GPU with it too.
October 4, 2007 12:25:24 AM

It would be nice if NVidia/ATI would have two GPU's on one card as a standard, don't know why either of them have done this and stuck with it. NVidia only did this once.
October 4, 2007 12:33:31 AM

Hatman said:

Since the pre-render limit is 3, this should still give some decent improvement. Maybe 2 will prerender while one will do AA and stuff?

The third card is for physics calculations. This has been said for about a year now, ever since the AGEIA PhysX card debuted.
October 4, 2007 1:29:58 AM

NVIDIA thinks that they will make more money this way which they will not.

I agree with Ape that SLI is basically for the eye candy on 24" and bigger screens plus high resolutions like 1920x1200.

Wasnt 2 8800GTX pretty much enough? Sometimes I think 3 might bring down the FPS since we will have to see latencies.
October 4, 2007 2:32:40 AM

i think too that sli is just for the extreme segment.most people are not ready to buy a new power supply. anyway by the time you ll want to put another card in sli it then getting a new card will be the best option in the end. the only way i see multi gpu making it s way to the mainstream segment is by making the cards much less power hungry. i foresee more a muti gpu card in the future if something
October 4, 2007 4:04:32 PM

I FIGURED IT OUT!!!

You know how AMD is coming out with their tri-core! This is a way for them to keep up with AMD! THE HOLY TRI-GPU!!!

The only problem is that they are not under the same heat spreader, cost to much, generates to much heat, no airflow, makes me want to kick puppies, and I don't think there is a power supply large enough to handle 3 GTX or 3 ULTRA'S.

Might this rein in the era of dual power supplies for the retardly rich and not so famous?
October 4, 2007 4:06:01 PM

if they make a 8pin to 2x 6pin PCI_E comverters, theres plenty of PSU's.
!