Boot sequence does not recognize HDD

Phrydom

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2006
We had a power outage at the house and now my homebuilt PC does not recognize my HDD during boot. It did not want to even turn on the first couple of attempts, but now I can get to the mobo BIOS and although the bios is set to auto recognize any HDD installed, it does not. I have checked all connections to no avail. I have two internal HDD and neither one is recognized so I doubt BOTH failed, could this be my MOBO?

Specs:

ASUS P5B
Core 2 Duo e6700
2 Gig RAM
(2) HDD

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Are these IDE or SATA HDDs?
Does the bios show the dvd/cd rom drives?
How old is your system?
Check the clock in the bios is it current or back at the mobo reset date?

Phrydom

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2006
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA II 320GB HDD

The BIOS does show the DVD/CD Drive

I built the system less than a year ago.

I have the PC in the truck (at work now) so unable to check the clock just yet, will give that a shot at lunch.

onestar

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
There are several possibilities here. Make double certain your boot drive is set as the first drive in the BIOS. Sometimes a power surge resets the BIOS boot order, sometimes it just frys the drives.

See if a different machine will recognize the drive, ...if yes, and you have checked the BIOS boot settings...then you can almost *** the surge caused motherboard damage. ...if no, then you might have lost your hard drive.

obiwan05

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
start with one drive and boot up with it plugged into one sata port at a time and see if any detect it.

Also try different power connectors on a different cable from the psu...

TRENDING THREADS