First Build, All Components Are Here Except PSU

G

I have received all my computer components except my Seasonic S12 650W PSU today. The PSU won't be here until Saturday.

Should I get started on my build or just wait until the PSU gets here?

I mean can I seat the processor and thermalright ultra in the mean time and just let the mobo sit around until Saturday to power up?

Anything else I can get ready before ths power supply arrives?

byrddogg77

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
Hiya Deuce,
It depends on your case. On all of my cases I can slide in my PSU without having to remove the motherboard. Do you have enough space?

If so, you can install everything and just slide the PSU in place and hook up the power cables on saturday.

G

I'm not sure. I would think so though, the case is the Antec Nine Hundred. Seems like there's plenty of space. The PSU goes on the bottom.

If it matters I have the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme cooler and the 8800GTS320 Vid card. They seem to be the largest components that may inhibit this.

akhilles

Splendid
antec-nine-hundred-in-monte-medium.jpg

Surely you can put the psu in last. Here's what I'd do:

- unpack boxes & check the contents
- build the barebone (cpu, hsf & ram) on a cardboard or the mobo box
- clear cmos
- double-check jumper positions if any
- get the wires/cables out of the way in the case
- install in this order: standoffs, case cooling, dvd, hdds, floppy, drive bay devices, barebone mobo, front panel wires, drive cables, case cooling wires, & lastly the video
- route the cables & tidy them up
- close the case
- get too excited to have a good night's sleep Friday :)

Or you can scratch that & build a hamster death trap. :D

G

Ok I have the hard drive, dvd burner, cpu, heatsink, memory, and graphics card in and I have the mobo mounted in the case. I have the SATA cables running from teh hdd and the dvd to the mobo. I have the extra power cable plugged into the vid card but i'm not sure where to plug it in from there... I've done it before with an ATI card but I think it plugged into the ide plug of the hard drive... A little help here would go a long way.

Tomorrow I am going to attach the fan to teh heatsink and to the door. I really don't have much room for the metal clasp so I was thinking of zip tying it, would that be ok?

Anyway I'm not sure about clearing the cmos and the jumpers, I don't know how to do it, what it is and what it does. I think the cmos is the battery in the mobo that just needs reset and the jumpers have something to do with that, but I'm really hazy on it. Any help I would appreciate.

Also, the fan on the top of the case... I think that's exhaust right? If it is I'm going to mount my 120mm fan on my ultra-120 facing that exhaust to blow the hot air right out the top of my case. Is that a good idea?

Thanks for any and all help/pointers. I didn't realize what I noob I was at this until I got all the parts out and had to start doing it!

G

I guess I should note that the graphics card is an 8800GTS 320MB

jj14

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Hi!
I have a similar build - using antec 900 - and would change the install order slightly.. from what was recommended by akhilles
"install in this order: standoffs, case cooling, dvd, hdds, floppy, drive bay devices, barebone mobo, front panel wires, drive cables, case cooling wires, & lastly the video"
to install the mobo with your CPU/HS etc (barebone) before installing the rear exhaust fan. In my build, it was very hard (if not impossible) to get the mobo past the drive bay devices and the rear exhaust fan.

Extra power cable? You mean the PCIE connector from the PSU right? You should not have to plug it anywhere else... or did I misunderstand your Q?

which fan are you talking about? the HS fan? If so, there is no need to attach it to the door (if you did, you wouldn't be able to open the case up...) As a side note, it may not be possible to have the side fan for the case (if you are planning to install one) if you install the Ultra 120 - mine doesn't fit after the Ultra 120 Extreme... no space in the case

Usually, people put the 120mm on ultra 120 facing the rear exhaust, but I don't see any reason to not have it blow the hot air out the top exhaust instead... might actually work better!

akhilles

Splendid
What jj14 said.

The side fan is not necessary. If it fits, it doesn't hurt.

Zip ties are fine. I used to use those that came with wonder bread. lol. I bought a roll at home depot. It lasts forever. Be sure that none of them is close to any fans.

The power splitter/adapter that comes with a video card is not necessary. Use the 6-pin pci-e cable from the psu. A good psu usually has 2 or more.

I'm sure Antec knows airflows. The rear fan & top blowhole fan are exhausts. The front & side fans are intakes. The key is to balance the airflow. i.e. 2 x 120mm in + 2 x 120mm out = good.

Clearing CMOS is an important step that is often overlooked. See, if somebody used the mobo & changed the bios settings to fit his hardward, they may not work with yours. Sure you may say you're sure it's brand new, but the staff at the factory can make mistakes, though rarely.

Bobsama

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
I'd say plan your airflow. I have a Scythe Infinity, Thermaltake Purepower 500W, and I'm getting and XClio 188A... I'm going to have the air moving North to South.