amd_03

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
I'll be moving in a few weeks, so I wanted to completely backup my important data. I also want to compile all my old backups into one large collection. To do this I bought an Icy Dock MB664US-1S and a Seagate 250Gb hard drive. First I tried USB, and it did not work. It appeared to install drivers, but nothing came up. I then plugged the eSATA bracket that came with the Icy Dock into the second SATA header on my motherboard, and it did not work either. I have tried both USB and eSATA with the speed limit jumper on and off on the hard drive, but it still does not work. I have searched for info on setting up eSATA, but can't really find anything. Can someone help me figure out how to get this drive to work? My motherboard is an Asus A8N-SLI Premium. Thanks.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Have you partitioned and formatted the new Seagate drive mounted in the new Icy Dock case? You cannot use any disk until that is done.

If you have not, go to Start ... Administrative Tools ... Computer Management. In the "tree" structure on the left, go to Storage ... Disk Management. In the right-hand upper panel will see all the current drives. In the lower half you'll see all your connected drives. Your new drive may be there but not partitioned, etc. Right-click on the drive to reach a menu to do these operations.