What the hell is happening?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I had a sudden cut of power, when the computer came back on and I tried
to download the latest headers, the damned thing decided to discard
all articles before march this year, so I've lost a large number of kept
articles going back about a year.

Why the hell did his happen?

Can I recover the lost articles?

How can I stop this happening?

--
Alan

Reply to alan (dot) holmes27 (at) virgin (dot) net

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"How can I stop this happening?"

Purchase a UPS?

Tom

In news:nyCze.20316$y86.16620@newsfe1-win.ntli.net,
Alan Holmes <alan.holmes@virgin.net> typed:

> I had a sudden cut of power, when the computer came back on and
> tried to download the latest headers, the damned thing decided
> discard all articles before march this year, so I've lost a
> large number of
> kept articles going back about a year.
>
> Why the hell did his happen?
>
> Can I recover the lost articles?

Are you talking about newsgroup articles?

Unsubscribe and resubscribe to the newsgroups in question. You'll
get all the messages on the server.

Why are you saving messages this long? In general there's no need
to. They are archived on googlegroups,
http://groups-beta.google.com/, and you can always search there
for anything you want to find.

> How can I stop this happening?

Buy a UPS.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Are you referring to newsgroup messages already downloaded into OE or
newsgroup messages you'd Copied to a local OE folder?

Assuming the former, right-click on the newsgroup in Folders pane >
Properties > Local file > Reset. When you next poll the newsgroup for
messages, all messages currently residing on the newsserver you use (it's
not the MS newsserver) will be downloaded again.

Different newsservers have different retention policies. Some keep messages
available for only a short period of time (e.g., 24 hours, 7 days). The MS
newsserver (news://msnews.microsoft.com) keeps them available for 90+ days
as a rule.
--
OE6-specific newsgroup:
OE General newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP

Inside Outlook Express
http://www.insideoe.com

Alan Holmes wrote:
> I had a sudden cut of power, when the computer came back on and I tried
> to download the latest headers, the damned thing decided to discard
> all articles before march this year, so I've lost a large number of kept
> articles going back about a year.
>
> Why the hell did his happen?
>
> Can I recover the lost articles?
>
> How can I stop this happening?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

> Different newsservers have different retention policies. Some keep
> messages available for only a short period of time (e.g., 24 hours, 7
> days). The MS newsserver (news://msnews.microsoft.com) keeps them
> available for 90+ days as a rule.

Which is why he probably lost older ones. He's got all new mail/news stores,
the old ones were likely corrupted by the loss of power, especially if OE
was open at the time it occured.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.invalid> wrote in message
> "How can I stop this happening?"
>
> Purchase a UPS?

What the hell is a UPS?

Alan

> "Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.invalid> wrote in message
>> "How can I stop this happening?"
>>
>> Purchase a UPS?
>
> What the hell is a UPS?

The opposite of a DOWNS :}

Actually it's an Uniterrupted Power Supply.

--
Tony Marston

http://www.tonymarston.net

>> Tom
>> "Alan Holmes" <alan.holmes@virgin.net> wrote in message
>> |
>> | I had a sudden cut of power, when the computer came back on and I tried
>> | to download the latest headers, the damned thing decided to discard
>> | all articles before march this year, so I've lost a large number of
>> kept
>> | articles going back about a year.
>> |
>> | Why the hell did his happen?
>> |
>> | Can I recover the lost articles?
>> |
>> | How can I stop this happening?
>> |
>> | --
>> | Alan
>> |
>> | Reply to alan (dot) holmes27 (at) virgin (dot) net

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Uninteruptable Power Supply. IE a big battery that runs the computer for long enough for it to shutdown normally.

"Alan Holmes" <alan.holmes@virgin.net> wrote in message news:iuMze.24101$y86.135@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...

> "Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.invalid> wrote in message
>> "How can I stop this happening?"
>>
>> Purchase a UPS?
>
> What the hell is a UPS?
>
> Alan
>

>> Tom
>> "Alan Holmes" <alan.holmes@virgin.net> wrote in message
>> |
>> | I had a sudden cut of power, when the computer came back on and I tried
>> | to download the latest headers, the damned thing decided to discard
>> | all articles before march this year, so I've lost a large number of kept
>> | articles going back about a year.
>> |
>> | Why the hell did his happen?
>> |
>> | Can I recover the lost articles?
>> |
>> | How can I stop this happening?
>> |
>> | --
>> | Alan
>> |
>> | Reply to alan (dot) holmes27 (at) virgin (dot) net

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

But he's not using the MS server(s), so we don't know about the sever he is
using (NTL?).

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

>> Different newsservers have different retention policies. Some keep
>> messages available for only a short period of time (e.g., 24 hours, 7
>> days). The MS newsserver (news://msnews.microsoft.com) keeps them
>> available for 90+ days as a rule.
>
> Which is why he probably lost older ones. He's got all new mail/news
> stores, the old ones were likely corrupted by the loss of power,
> especially if OE was open at the time it occured.

>> Are you referring to newsgroup messages already downloaded into OE or
>> newsgroup messages you'd Copied to a local OE folder?
>>
>> Assuming the former, right-click on the newsgroup in Folders pane >
>> Properties > Local file > Reset. When you next poll the newsgroup
>> for messages, all messages currently residing on the newsserver you
>> use (it's not the MS newsserver) will be downloaded again.
>>
>> Different newsservers have different retention policies. Some keep
>> messages available for only a short period of time (e.g., 24 hours, 7
>> days). The MS newsserver (news://msnews.microsoft.com) keeps them
>> available for 90+ days as a rule.
>> --
>> OE6-specific newsgroup:
>> OE General newsgroup:
>>
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
>>
>> Inside Outlook Express
>> http://www.insideoe.com
>>
>> Alan Holmes wrote:
>>> I had a sudden cut of power, when the computer came back on and I
>>> tried to download the latest headers, the damned thing decided to
>>> discard all articles before march this year, so I've lost a large number
>>> of
>>> kept articles going back about a year.
>>>
>>> Why the hell did his happen?
>>>
>>> Can I recover the lost articles?
>>>
>>> How can I stop this happening?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

But if his server is synching with the msnews server, then it may also be
dropping posts over 90 days old.

--

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
> But he's not using the MS server(s), so we don't know about the sever he
> is using (NTL?).
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC
> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx

>>> Different newsservers have different retention policies. Some keep
>>> messages available for only a short period of time (e.g., 24 hours, 7
>>> days). The MS newsserver (news://msnews.microsoft.com) keeps them
>>> available for 90+ days as a rule.
>>
>> Which is why he probably lost older ones. He's got all new mail/news
>> stores, the old ones were likely corrupted by the loss of power,
>> especially if OE was open at the time it occured.
>>

>> "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Are you referring to newsgroup messages already downloaded into OE or
>>> newsgroup messages you'd Copied to a local OE folder?
>>>
>>> Assuming the former, right-click on the newsgroup in Folders pane >
>>> Properties > Local file > Reset. When you next poll the newsgroup
>>> for messages, all messages currently residing on the newsserver you
>>> use (it's not the MS newsserver) will be downloaded again.
>>>
>>> Different newsservers have different retention policies. Some keep
>>> messages available for only a short period of time (e.g., 24 hours, 7
>>> days). The MS newsserver (news://msnews.microsoft.com) keeps them
>>> available for 90+ days as a rule.
>>> --
>>> OE6-specific newsgroup:
>>> OE General newsgroup:
>>>
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
>>>
>>> Inside Outlook Express
>>> http://www.insideoe.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Or it could keep them.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

> But if his server is synching with the msnews server, then it may
> also be dropping posts over 90 days old.
>

> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> But he's not using the MS server(s), so we don't know about the
>> sever he is using (NTL?).
>>
>> --
>> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
>> Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
>> http://www.fjsmjs.com
>> Protect your PC
>> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx
>> http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/
>>
>> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

get a UPS (uninterrupted power supply) as backup.