DISK BOOT FAILURE (sometimes????)

mindspin311

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
Ok, I have a N650SLI-DS4 mobo, and I get some weird problems.

First off:

I had all my components working and running vista on a evga 680i board. (RMA'd)

HDD: WD IDE 7200 RPM 500 GB HDD, Optical: Lite On 20x Lightscribe DVD-burner

The HDD still has a OEM copy of vista on it. (heard OEM doesn't work with different mobo, but how am I having trouble booting from DVD/CD?)

Boot sequence is correct

DVD and HDD are IDE (dvd-middle, hdd-end)

DVD does spin when I try to boot from disc.

Tried to reset cmos, no luck

All cables are connected (doublechecked)

HDD jumper is all the way to right (master)

DVD jumper is in middle (slave)

If I put the vista cd in, I get this, [[time until next line]]:

Verifying DMI Pool Data ....... [[10 sec]]
Boot from CD/DVD : [[2 sec]]
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER [[INF]]

If I try the gigabyte boot disc, I get the same, but a few times, it entered some utility which gives me the option to backup or reboot. I try backup and it says not enough space on HDD.

I know all my components work, because I had them working on my 680i.

The bios is detecting the HDD and DVD drive (and it detects them on primary ide when I startup), and I set dvd to boot before HDD.. (I wonder how many people are gonna not read my entire post and suggest this)

I also periodically get a new black screen where it gives me the option to start windows normally, safe mode, last good config..

ALL THIS STUFF IS COMPLETELY RANDOM AND HIT OR MISS!! MAKES NO SENSE!! I REPEAT THE EXACT SAME THING AND GET DIFFERENT RESULTS!!

Oh I should also note that when I pressed the power button 1 time (didn't hold to shut down, just pressed) at the boot error, press enter screen, I got a long continuous beep until I turned off the power. Not sure what that is.

Anyone???

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Sure, wipe the HDD clean and reload the retail OS or obtain a new product key for the OEM version.
Think about it.........what happens to a Win OS when the motherboard fails and has to be replaced.

Folding@Home

mindspin311

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
I'm not worrying about the OS at this moment. I'm taking it one step at a time. What I'm having a problem with now is not being able to boot from dvd (the same drive I used for my other mobo)

I had got the gigabyte boot cd to work, but now it doesn't (even though I didn't change anything from it working till it didn't)

What problems could explain this?

mindspin311

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
Ok, tried switching to another ribbon cable. It worked. Vista also runs on new mobo and old HDD. Isn't an OEM version of vista not supposed to work on new mobo? I'm happy it's all working, but not sure why vista is running.

royalcrown

Distinguished
NO, you are not SUPPOSED to transfer it to another PC because of the EULA or license agreement, it has nothing to do with the actual functioning of vista, it is a legal thing.

royalcrown

Distinguished
So basically he did not need to format and would have had to reinstall needlessly had he done that..

royalcrown

Distinguished

Probably because the H.A.L. detected different hardware and installed the drivers on boot up before he got to his desktop, at least the ones he needed. It happens plenty of times, you do not always have to reformat.