Sign in with
Your question

2900pro performing poor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 1, 2007 3:30:38 PM

I have set-up my new 2900pro, but I have a problem with the card stuttering badly in games. 3Dmark benchmarks also stop responding when I double click on them to load up.The performance is worse than my old 7800GT, which cannot be right. BTW I am using the latest ATI drivers.

My computer specs are:
Vista Home basic
4400X2 (939)
2GB Ram
2900Pro
550W PSU

I am guessing that it could be my PSU causing the problem, but I am not sure. I only had one PCIE power connector, so I used a 2xMolex to 6Pin PCIE power adapter for the other. Could it be my PSU that is to blame?

Thanks in advance :) 
October 1, 2007 3:50:27 PM

Sounds unstable for sure, something aint right.

PSU... maybe if it's a generic brand and it's rated at peak output. Depends what it's putting out on the 12v rail. What model of PSU is it exactly?
October 1, 2007 3:52:48 PM

Yeah It's an Ebuyer Extra Value PSU, which it states 30A on 12V.
Related resources
October 1, 2007 6:25:37 PM

Hmmm. if it's 30 amps peak, it's touch and go with a card like that. Hard to say for sure if it's the problem though.

Do you have a buddy who has a good quality PSU you can borrow and try out?
October 1, 2007 7:26:54 PM

cleeve said:

Do you have a buddy who has a good quality PSU you can borrow and try out?

Unfortunately not :( 
October 1, 2007 7:45:55 PM

Is there a local PC shop you could go to? Perhaps if you described your problem to them they might let you try your system with one of their test PSUs on their workbench.
October 1, 2007 7:59:50 PM

cleeve said:
Is there a local PC shop you could go to? Perhaps if you described your problem to them they might let you try your system with one of their test PSUs on their workbench.

Good luck with that. All the PC shops in my area are the greediest mofo's around. Just take advantage of a stores liberal return policy and nab the best PSU they have and give it a shot.
October 1, 2007 8:02:34 PM

I was at COMPusa yesterday and they now stock Corsair HX520 and the HX620 as well as some other named brand PSU's . Might try that
October 1, 2007 8:36:17 PM

on a side note, how much more power to the 2900's take compared to the x1900's? (NOT the x1950's btw)
October 1, 2007 9:02:07 PM

Couldn't this be a driver problem?
Have you uninstalled and cleened out the old nvidia drivers?
October 1, 2007 9:04:23 PM

I uninstalled the Nvidia Drivers before I installed the ATI card
October 1, 2007 9:32:54 PM

try it at 20 % lower clocks (use ccc or atitool) for gpu and cpu (bios settings )so it needs a lot less power and disconnect everything you don't use (cdrom, second hd etc.)

if it's more fluid and stable it's probably your psu failing or your temps to high.....
October 1, 2007 11:14:42 PM

The manufacturer will inform you that you can not use a 2 to 1 adapter, it wont work and it should be written somewhere in you booklet.
New psu is your only option, in theory using an adapter sounds correct but its not.
Sorry
October 2, 2007 12:08:36 PM

I have purchased myself a new PSU, which should be more than capable. The new PSU has not solved anything and I am still experiencing stutter. I have tried re-installing the ATI drivers, but this does not help. My games are running like crap and I am out of ideas :( 
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2007 12:14:37 PM

Did you try driver cleaner for those old nVid drivers?
October 2, 2007 1:02:26 PM

i would use driver cleaner if i were you, and reinstall the ati-drivers, check your temps, make sure that there is now power cabling near your computer that gives off alot of EMI, you'd be suprised at what that can do to your performance do NOT doubt that. It has happend to me twice now in my life.

If the new PSU doesnt work,
and none of these work.
Then call tech support, and inform them of this, you cannot doubt the possibility of a bad card.
October 2, 2007 6:15:14 PM

Tried cleaning the drivers as suggested, but that didn't improve things and I even went to the extreme of re-installing Vista with little luck. I'm considering whether to re-intall Windows XP to see if it can bring some joy.
October 2, 2007 6:29:39 PM

As someone said, downclock the card a little, maybe its a worse chip then ATI thought and sint even capable of these speeds.
October 2, 2007 6:30:58 PM

try it, xp is still much more setable
October 2, 2007 6:37:41 PM

As you probably already know >=( I have virtually the same PSU, 50 watts more, works FINE! IT WORKS PHINE!
October 2, 2007 6:46:44 PM

Hatman said:
As someone said, downclock the card a little, maybe its a worse chip then ATI thought and sint even capable of these speeds.

I'll give it a go and see if it improves things, but I'm not holding out allot of hope. I'm starting to regret not buying the 8800GTS instead :( 

October 2, 2007 9:00:05 PM

I'd test it with Windows XP, but the card might just be broken. If it's still under warranty you could RMA it.
October 3, 2007 2:56:31 PM

Enabling Catalyst AI then moving the slider to advanced seems to have improved performance.
a c 110 U Graphics card
October 3, 2007 3:44:19 PM

I am gonna say RMA while you can.....also if you bought it locally you can straight exchange it :) 

Cat AI is optimizations and well you should be ok with standard...
October 3, 2007 3:51:32 PM

A 2900 Pro should be performing a lot better than you say, it could be a bad card if it's still performing badly.
October 4, 2007 12:25:06 AM

An issue I tell people who buy ATi cards is this: The thermal paste use don the cards soemtimes doesn't melt and allow proper cooling for about a week. I would check those temps, note what they are, and see what others are getting.

And don't regret your purchase of the HD2900 PRo over an 8800GTs. for all you know, the 8800GTS could be having the same problems and you might be saying you'd regret purchasing that instead of the HD2900 PRO. In the grand scheme of things though, it did force you to buy a new PSU, which may sound bad, but hey, at least you won't have to upgrade later on for quite some time. Try to stay optimistic. :D 
!