Sign in with
Your question

Help with Selecting Components

Last response: in Systems
September 12, 2007 9:18:11 PM

This is going to be the first computer that I have built for myself. So, this time I want to make sure I'm getting the best bang for my buck. BG info: I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I like being able to play games at good quality.(Generally: 30+ FPS, 1280x1024, High Settings)

Link to Newegg wish list
Important Components:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.33GHz
GPU: XFX GeForce 8600GT 256MB
Mobo: EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI
Cooler: ZEROtherm BTF90 92mm Silent UFO (w/ Arctic Silver 5)
Ram: OCZ Gold 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

Any input is greatly appreciated, Thanks!

More about : selecting components

September 12, 2007 9:34:59 PM

er - 1280 x 1024 at high settings -- yout going to have to rethink you GPU, try the 8800 GTS 320 minimum GTS 640 would better but 320 good enough for now.

The rest really won't matter
September 12, 2007 10:38:21 PM

To do what you want, you'll need a decent card, not a 8600GT. Try the 8800GTS 320MB.
Related resources
September 12, 2007 10:47:20 PM

Ill third that...

The rest of your comments look ok though...

Do you need the 680i mobo if you arent going SLI... P35 or the new X38 would be a better chocie
September 12, 2007 11:14:29 PM

4th'ed.

The pc doesn't need that cooler at stock. If you want quietness, get it. The case is weird:

September 12, 2007 11:45:41 PM

If you aren't going SLI, like people have said, go with the p35 motherboard. With new cards around the corner, I wouldn't go with SLI. Just save up for one of the newer cards. Plus at your Res, you don't need high end cards :) .

If you can, get a Q6600 CPU.

If you have questions, let me know :) . msg me on aim or yahoo at anytime. Maximus9102.
September 13, 2007 12:33:07 AM

The only reason that I was going to go with the sli mobo was so that I could get another of the same card later when I needed it for a lot less than a new card. And as far as the cooler I plan to (learn how to) overclock with this setup since it is supposed to be quite easy (I thought that I had said this in the first post, guess I forgot). I don't think that I will be going with the quad core, I'm already at the top of my budget with the 8800. But, I think that it will still be quite an improvement over my current desktop (1.5GHz P4, 512MB RAM, and an unknown ATI 64MB GPU)

EDIT: I like the case because it is small but still has good airflow and is relatively quiet. (according to reviews) Plus I really like LIAN-LI, the past 2 builds that I did for friends both used them and I had really good luck.

Also does anyone know anything about how well the cooler, uh cools? The reviewers seem to like it, but I didn't see any talking specifically about OC'ing.
September 13, 2007 12:52:47 AM

If you like, I suggest getting an X1950PRo and saving up for a new gen card. SLI is really a hassle and there is no need for it. I think you'll have better luck putting that money into a brand new card.

If you aren't a major gamer, however, the 8800 GTS should last you a while. But that's your choice. The P35 is native 1333FSB as well, so its better for the new Core 2 Duos and it also supports the new 45nm processors.

As for coolers it depends on how much you want to try to OC. If you want to do a lot, go for a thermalright of scythe. If you aren't OCing too much, maybe a Thermaltake, I had one and it was really nice.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That looks like a good budget one. People seem to have good luck with it.
September 13, 2007 1:36:56 AM

I do like the price with those changes a lot better. I was thinking about the : ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 or if the DDR3 would make a vast improvement perhaps the deluxe version, but then again that would be spending more money just to spend more money on RAM. So I think that I would stick with the non-deluxe.
Would the x1950Pro be able to what I want? (30+ FPS, 1280x1024, High Settings) Or at least close to it? and just to make sure: SAPPHIRE 100196L Radeon X1950PRO 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 is what I'm looking at. Sorry, never really looked at ATI much, I just have always been nVidia, just because...
September 13, 2007 1:55:38 AM

Well that would depend on the games you play. For most games the X1950Pro would do what you want and save you some money for future upgrades.

It really depends on how long you want to keep your system. If you want to keep it for like 3-4 years, get the deluxe, since prices on the DDR3 ram will start going down when more and more of it gets used and manufactured, so you can upgrade to it later on. If you want it keep the system for a little less, get the non deluxe and save some money for the future :) .
September 13, 2007 2:13:20 AM

Preciesly...

If you plan to overclock nab a quadcore. If you don't plan to a e6750 will be fine thx to it's higher clock speed. Also it really depends on your usages. Future computing will take a turn for multi threaded applications so it's up to you on which is important. Video editing/encoding application, 3d modeling, and many top tier programs are multi threaded. Crysis is also going to be multi threaded. If this rig is too last you 3-6 years then you might want to nab a quad core. If you plan to upgrade within 1-2 years a 6750 should be fine....But it depends if you want to OC...OC I would say Q6600 for sure.

Graphics wise a x1950 pro has great bang for the buck. But if you really want to play new games on much higher settings you're going to have to nab yourself a 8800 GTS 320mb minimum. The x1950 pro is a great card but with the newer games coming out you won't be able to game on the highest settings. I'd trade my current x700 pro for a x1950 pro anyday...But it really depends on which games you're going to play.

If you are really planning to overclock far I would suggest getting a Tuniq Tower 120 or a Thermalright Ultra120 Extreme....Great coolers if you plan to push your hardware far...Also Arctic silver 5 paste.

Even though I love OCZ I'm not sure how well the OCZ gold overclocks...you might want to look into some Crucial Ballistix or alternatives...I'm running an older rig atm though so others can give you better advice on memory...I'm still on a 3.2 prescott unfortunately...I research quite a bit but not sure on motherboard and memory choices...But micron chips seem to be the most desired atm...
September 13, 2007 2:36:07 AM

That is about where I was. I think I will save the $90(+the cost of DDR3) for now and then when the prices come down I'll get the latest and greatest for less. I don't think the graphics will be a problem, I don't usually play the latest games and a lot of it will be HL2 engine games, that my laptop can handle (mostly, funny story it plays HL2 and GoldenEye Source just fine, but can't play CS:S, something to do with the skybox and the menus, but whatever)
As far as cooling, I think I'll stick with the ZEROtherm. I'm not trying to set any OC'ing records or anything like that. This is basically me learning how to overclock. Along with that I think I'll wait and stick with this CPU. I'll get a 45nm Quad-Core after they come out and then come down in price.
I'll look into the ram thing. Also does anyone know where the list of compatible memory is for this board? I checked the web site and didn't see anything.
!