Overclocking HELP please!

Hey guys, this is my first post and in doing so would like to shed some background on myself for the community. I am currently attending college and am spending my spare time building pc's and gaming. I have currently built plenty of pc's including my own, but am only now starting to embark into the world of overclocking.

Currently i have built this system:

Thermaltake armor series case
Asus P5N32-E Sli mobo (680i lga775)
Intel dual core quad Q6600 processor 2.4ghz (currently Oc'd to 3.0ghz)
2x2gb (4gb) Kingston DDR2 800mhz HyperX Ram (running @ 800mhz)
GeForce 8800ultra (768mb)
250gb 7200rpm Hd
Zalman 9700 cpu cooler
680w PSU
Windows Vista 32bit Basic OEM

I then began to read up and do my hw on Overclocking as i was planning to embark on that path. Already knowing a good amount about Bios i touched up my knowledge and semi-confidently began to OC.

I disabled all the speedstep, spread spectrum, options etc.. and kept my Pci-E setting respectably to 100.

I then kept all my voltage options, and timing settings to auto since they usually over estimate anyways, which wont cause a problem until i decide to tune them down to save on heat etc...

This was going well, so i entered into the FSB options and started to increase my CPu bus all the way to approx 1245 which gave me a solid and stable OC to 2.8ghz with ram speed at 800mhz.

I then decided to venture above this speed but ran into a wall. I tried everything from changing voltages to timings etc.. I spent HOURS to say the least. Eventually i roamed the forums and heard that this mobo had issues Ocing, and thought this was my max -.-.

Discouraged i took a drastic change and decided to try 1333 and 800mhz ram, unfortunately it didn't work. But for some reason i decided to attempt 1334 at 800mhz, after hearing about some issues getting to 3.0ghz, and it worked perfectly. I ran stress tests etc.. and have been using it Since.

This struck me as odd, but i rode my luck and decided to keep it like this. Now i want to continue to 3.2ghz, but am having problems with bsod errors, and actually ran into an error message on startup that said, "The procedure entry point RackMouseEvent could not be located in the dynamic link library user32.dll", then would give me a bsod. I even tried lowering my ram speed from 800mhz thinking it was limiting the overclocking but nothing worked.

I am currently stuck at 1334mhz and ram speed of 800mhz, looking to make it to an even 3.2!

Im not looking for remarks saying "why are you ocing a quad core proc." "or be happy with 3.0ghz" thankyou, and any help on this situation would be wonderful, i will appreciate any and all comments.

Sincerely, Doug.
6 answers Last reply
More about overclocking please
  1. 1) 2x2gb (4gb) Kingston DDR2 800mhz HyperX Ram (running @ 800mhz)
    WHY?? Near Crucial, Super Talent, OCZ even Kingmax?? This memory can't overclock as other!!!
    2) WHY Zalman 9700 it's awful cooler!!! Big typ,Sonic tower...are better!
    3)Finally your problem is mainboard, everybody complain on taht chipset!
  2. The biggest limitation is going to be that chipset. It runs into FSB holes. As in.. 350-399 MHz FSB might not boot, but 349 and 400 will do just fine (examples).

Best thing to do is just keep playing with settings, you're on the right track. Eliminating the RAM from the equation by running it below rated speed is a good idea.
  3. Whats wrong with the kingston hyperx? its good quality ram. And idk where u heard about he zalman, but this cooler does an awesome job. Huge Copper heatsink and fins. how could u go wrong.
  4. And that sonic tower is alluminum, if you did your research, or payed attention in science class you would know that copper is WAY better for cooling. Lol, OCZ, oh man have had two many DOA issues with them >.< no ty
  5. I heard a lot of bad things about this mobo having holes, but its more than 30 days old and you cant call ASUS complaining about bad overclocking issues. What should i do? I want a new mobo but bought this for 200$. Should I suck it up and stick with 3.0ghz or try to get this thing sold on like Ebay or something =/. Also any motherboard ideas would be helpful in my search, for overclocking a quad q6600, with 2 Pci-E sli slots (for future), high fsb support, 8gb ram support, etc... TY
  6. coveted said:
    I heard a lot of bad things about this mobo having holes, but its more than 30 days old and you cant call ASUS complaining about bad overclocking issues. What should i do? I want a new mobo but bought this for 200$. Should I suck it up and stick with 3.0ghz or try to get this thing sold on like Ebay or something =/. Also any motherboard ideas would be helpful in my search, for overclocking a quad q6600, with 2 Pci-E sli slots (for future), high fsb support, 8gb ram support, etc... TY

SLI limits you to nVidia chipsets. 2x PCIe 16 is X38 only... Good X38s are $200+. I'd be happy with 3.0 GHz.
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking