hammerfall4ever

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
Like I see everyone who plan to buy CPU cooler buys Zalman which is bad for cverclockers, or something like that...
Zalman is popular because his coolers for graphic card which are good but on CPUs cooling space he fail, for many different things, one of them is his design who don't leads warm so good, and fan is very weak.
One of many good CPU coolers is TT Sonic Tower.It is passive cooler who has option to build in 120mm fan, Sonic Tower (with fan) results can compare with water cooling.
TT Big Thyphoon is also very good cooler,he is composed from two parts: 120mm fan and passive cooler. Ther are two version of Big Typ: VX and 120, VX has potentiometer and worse fan(louder),120 has better fan but he doesn't have potentiometer.
And GeminII is good cooler, GeminII is passive but you can put on it two 120mm fans which makes him very powerful, but his very big and heavy.
Hear some links where you can see some results of CPU coolers:
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/400/1/
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=578
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=519

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
It's funny that you trash Zalman (which is a great dual core overclocker, btw) but make no mention of the "kings" of Air cooling such as the Ultima 90 and the Ultra 120 eXtreme. If you didn't notice in your last link the Zalman 9700LED beat all the other coolers. It did the same thing in the second test even besting the Tuniq Tower.

GeminiII was not meatn to be passive for overclocking. Don't compare a Zalman for OCing versus a GeminiII for stock usage.

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
my favorite is that he calls all of them......"he"

Anyways the best id the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme.......once I get my RAM back......and working....I'm getting one of these with a Ultra Kaze fan.......

Hey cnumartyr.....how did the Ultra Kaze perform compared to other fans???

Also I've seen the IFX-14 on Thermalright's website........it's really big....haven't seen price though

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

The 2000 RPM model was not that loud. I have the 3000 RPM model in it now and it's noisy. A Slip Stream 80 CFM and the Ultra Kaze 2000 RPM (88 CFM) models did just fine and will run it at 65C in my room at 3.6 GHz. The 3000 RPM model and the Cooljag Everflow 110 CFM model push temps down about another 2-4C.

It's a trade off of noise versus performance. Noise doesn't bother me as long as it's a constant, I can't stand it ramping up and down.

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Same.....My Antec 900 is sort of loud at max so I guess I'll do the 3000 rpm model.....I turn off the computer when not in use so I could care less about the noise

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Like I see everyone who plan to buy CPU cooler buys Zalman which is bad for cverclockers, or something like that...
Zalman is popular because his coolers for graphic card which are good but on CPUs cooling space he fail, for many different things, one of them is his design who don't leads warm so good, and fan is very weak.
One of many good CPU coolers is TT Sonic Tower.It is passive cooler who has option to build in 120mm fan, Sonic Tower (with fan) results can compare with water cooling.
TT Big Thyphoon is also very good cooler,he is composed from two parts: 120mm fan and passive cooler. Ther are two version of Big Typ: VX and 120, VX has potentiometer and worse fan(louder),120 has better fan but he doesn't have potentiometer.
And GeminII is good cooler, GeminII is passive but you can put on it two 120mm fans which makes him very powerful, but his very big and heavy.

...?

Failboat1-796840.jpg

Need I say more?

hammerfall4ever

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
Listen you right I didn't mentioned thermalright Ultra 120- eXtreme because its built almost same as TT Sonic Tower but it is so expensive that it is out our range for that mony you can get water cooling(I didn't mention Ninja which is even better then 120-eXtreme and more cheaper).
Well I have express wrong Zalman is solid cooler but his ratio performance/price is awful, for lower price (of one Zalman 9700LED) you can get better cooler: Scythe Ninja, Sonic Tower, Scythe Infinity, Big Typ..

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

Benchmark 1

Benchmark 2

Point to some Benchmarks rather than making crazy claims. If you notice in the second test the Zalman beats out the Ninja unless you buy a different fan for the Ninja. Big Typhoon is a joke on quad cores.

And if you can get watercooling for the same cost as a Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme it probably won't perform as well! A similar performing water setup costs about 3 times as much. According to most reviews I've found the Sonic Tower is average, mid-range performer. It has 3 heat pipes (2 risers per heat pipe) and doesn't have a ton of surface area. The Ultra 120X has 6 heat pipes (2 risers per pipe) and has a lot more surface area to disperse the heat.

Ultra 120 @ $65

H20-120 Compact @ $140

The 120 Compact performs almost as well as an Ultra 120. They are about the same performance.

In the future, please post Benchmarks or Reviews along with your claims so that they have a shread of legitimacy behind them. At the moment you come off as a TT employee just trying to spread the word for free.

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Yeah.....where do you get your info.

If you can find me a $65 water cooler I'll say your right about everything.
Stop coming up with crap, if you want the best get the TR 120 exteme

crompers

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
i have zalman 9500 cooler and he has been very good to me, better than cheapo water cooling kit that leak all over new motherboard

i like zalman he nice guy