New build giving nonsense data

tempanon

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007
Hi all -

Not sure where else to turn and have checked this (and several other) boards. I just completed a new build, all stock settings:

E6850 3Ghz
GA-P35-DS3P Motherboard
4 MB RAM
8800 GTS 640MB
Corsair HX520W PSU
Vista Home Premium 64-bit
WD 500GB SATA II drive
180GB IDE drive
(Vista is fully updated, latest drivers, BIOS updated)

My problem is that any diagnostic software shows data that doesn't make sense, specifically, Speedfan, CPU-Z, PC Wizard, and EasyTune 5.

I had one BSOD after running it for 4 days, so started looking for symptoms of what could cause it. EasyTune was showing a spike in CPU temp to 71C under high load, so I tried to find the reason since that seemed too high with all stock. That's when data stopped making sense. EasyTune shows wildly variable fan speeds. The CPU Fan and one exhaust fan are on the MB - the other 2 case fans are off of molex connectors. However, I'm not sure which data to believe at this point since I'm getting the following nonsense:
1) EasyTune only shows data for the CPU fan (though all fans are blowing)
2) CPU-Z shows vCore of 1.136V, though Speedvan shows vCore1 of 1.14V and vCore2 of 1.89V
3) Speedfan shows 12V rail voltages of 1.09V (+12V rail) and -16.64V (-12V rail)
4) Speedfan shows a fan speed of 675,000 RPM, PC Wizard has 16463RPM, and EasyTune is all over the place.
5) EasyTune and Speedfan agree on a CPU temperature of around 40-45 idle (around 30C for the cores themselves on Speedfan) and spiking to 70C under load from super_pi. (PC Wizard shows a constant 189C temperature)

My first thought was an improperly seated CPU fan (using the stock Intel Fan), but now I'm not sure what data to believe since all the other data is so clearly not getting reported properly.

Key questions:
1) Given my hardware, is there a particular utility that should provide more reliable data?
2) Are there any other utilities that will read out the rail voltages? (BIOS only lists them as "OK")
3) Am I likely correct on the CPU fan seating problem? (was planning on re-seating it with some Arctic Silver)
4) Any other advice?

Thanks!

akhilles

Splendid
1) Unfortunately, there's no 100% accuracy in software sensors. Also, if you run 2 or more sensor programs at the same time, it may introduce conflicts or even inaccuracy.

2) You're right. The bios just says ok. Speedfan & some others do read out the rail voltages. Again, not 100% accurate.

http://www.bjorn3d.com/vimage.php?ver=2&folder=motherboards/Gigabyte%20GA-P35-DS3P&image=BIOS6.jpg

3) Maybe you should close all but one sensor program?

4) If nothing works, reseat the cpu. Not too much AS5. The current "best" application would be a very thin line across the cpu. I use this myself. Works quite well.