Sign in with
Your question

Connect 3 PC's via switch to WiFi Access Point to WiFi

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 2, 2009 8:50:54 PM

Hi.

I have 3 PC's connected to an unmanaged 24 port 10/100 ethernet switch (local brand called mecer in South Africa).
I also have a dlink DWL2100AP access point connected via the lan to the switch. I would like to know how to receive a wireless signal through the access point and distribute via the lan it is connected to. The reason being I would like to connect all the pcs to the WiFi internet connection. Is this possible?

All PCs can access the dlink manager.

Regards

Itai
February 3, 2009 4:44:52 AM

I might be misunderstanding but...

You equip your PCs with wireless capability, disconnect their wired connections, connect to your DLink AP, enable wireless encryption, and good to go.

Buy a wireless PCI adapter for each of your PCs (in case of Desktop) and/or PCMCIA cards in case of notebooks.
February 3, 2009 9:43:25 AM

No ... I want the PC's to connect to each other via lan. I want them to all get the internet connection through the wireless access point. I have a wireless access point and a 24 port switch is there a way?
Related resources
February 3, 2009 10:16:23 PM

Yes, there is a way but not with DWL2100AP. The main reason being you can't custom-configure DWL2100AP.

Take one of the PC or get an extra PC, install wireless PCI card in it, install Ethernet card, install Linux, configure wireless card so that it can access Internet.

Hook up the rest of PC's to LAN switch, one connection from the switch goes to Ethernet card on Linux box, configure DHCP server listening that Ethernet interface using addressing scheme different from wireless card side, include the same DNS server address as wireless side in DHCP settings, turn on NAT between 2 interfaces (Ethernet and wireless). You are good to go.

If you don't want to do all these work, you can buy a off-the-shelf router that has wireless connection as a WAN link and built-in switch for wired connections. I do not know one but they might exist.
February 3, 2009 11:16:48 PM

Thanks. I'm actually going a similar route ... but not with linux :p  ... Setting up one PC with Windows Small Business Server 2008. That PC will have a USB (or maybe wireless, but most likely USB) internet connection. The other 3 PC's will run off the server PC so that we can also have exchange server, etc, etc.
February 3, 2009 11:58:18 PM

Purchase a work group bridge ... problem solved...
July 28, 2010 6:48:52 AM

eitai2001 said:
Hi.

I have 3 PC's connected to an unmanaged 24 port 10/100 ethernet switch (local brand called mecer in South Africa).
I also have a dlink DWL2100AP access point connected via the lan to the switch. I would like to know how to receive a wireless signal through the access point and distribute via the lan it is connected to. The reason being I would like to connect all the pcs to the WiFi internet connection. Is this possible?

All PCs can access the dlink manager.

Regards

Itai

Hey,I can help you,please click here,

http://registryfix123.com :bounce: 

!