Ati mobility radeon hd 4200

Solution
If you are using a public WiFi, chances are your connection is just slow. I'm sure they don't put the best equipment in there and also don't do a lot of load balancing to make sure everyone has enough bandwidth. If there are walls between you and the WiFi hardware, lots of distance, number of people using the WiFi at the same time, all will knock the speed down till you are running at dial-up speeds.

See if you can find out where the access points are, how many of them there are, and how many people connect to them. Each device on an access point would halve the speeds available to the other devices, it's a shared speed on wireless.
Need your full system specs, model/brand/cpu/ram/ what type of internet connection do you have, is it only YouTube videos that don't work right? Are you trying to play HD videos, or regular quality? Laptop on wireless? If it is, how far away from the wireless router do you use the laptop? Have you tried this when near the router? Netflix, Hulu, etc... work ok?

actiongirl

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
I will get the full system specs to you later, as I am not at home. But I can tell you that I'm using a Wifi connection through the complex that I live. It's YouTube videos and any clip on the internet that I'd like to view. Thanks for responding back to me.

If you are using a public WiFi, chances are your connection is just slow. I'm sure they don't put the best equipment in there and also don't do a lot of load balancing to make sure everyone has enough bandwidth. If there are walls between you and the WiFi hardware, lots of distance, number of people using the WiFi at the same time, all will knock the speed down till you are running at dial-up speeds.

See if you can find out where the access points are, how many of them there are, and how many people connect to them. Each device on an access point would halve the speeds available to the other devices, it's a shared speed on wireless.

Solution

actiongirl

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011

You're right. I counted fourteen people using WiFi, sometimes it is hard for me to access the service. On my desktop computer I can watch videos easily because I use Comcast's high speed internet service. Your explaination makes sense, I mean its not terribly important if I can't steam videos clearly from my laptop because I have my desktop computer. So much for technology advancement, WiFi is good, but it seems like high speed internet access via a modem is much better when it comes to accessing service.

actiongirl

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011

Here's the full specs of my laptop.

Manufacturer is HP
Model is Presario CQ61 Notebook PC
Processor is AMD Sempron (tm) M120 2.10 GHz
Installed Memory RAM 2.00 GB (1.75 gb usable)
System type 64-bit Operating system
Internet connection is public WiFi

The videos that I try to play can be any ones from any website... Clips from news sites, youtube... I haven't tried Netflix or Hulu.

I hope this helps...

About the WiFi being slow, if you only have a few computers on it, it's just as good as a direct cable connection, mostly. A basic setup is just not made for many users. WiFi is not as simple a protocol as the wired connection, it needs to add more error correction, and each device on the same node divides the bandwidth by half that is available to the others. So if you have a 54mb connection, which in real world is about 45mb, you add a second PC, you are at 24mb, another you are at 12 or so, and so on. When you have 10 computers on, you are getting maybe 1mb or 2, plus the lag due to the interference and distance between the computers and the access point.

actiongirl

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011

I also forgot to mention that I use the same WiFi service on my Ipod touch, to get onto Satellite radio. This may explain why either the news or the music I listen to buffers alot, or I lose the data connection and have to log-in again. I appreciate all of your helpful information... I may contact you again from time to time with questions in the future.