Socket A CPU Upgrade

Hey everyone,

I am needing to upgrade a few components on my comp. and was looking for some advice. I am already upgrading my 512mb of memory up to 2GB of DIMM 2700 333 MHz RAM. I am also running the m/b I put in when I build the comp. which is a Gigabyte GA-7VAXP Ultra w/ a Via KT 400 chipset.

I have found where it says I can put up to an "AthlonXP 3000+(Barton,.13u)" processor or a "K7 Sempron 3000+" processor in it.

It has been a while since I have been into this stuff so any comments on these processors or if you know of another I could use that would be better please let me know.

Also, what is the manufactures clock speed of these processors?

Thanks.
13 answers Last reply
More about socket upgrade
  1. alright, if you buy a socket a chip your gonna pay a premium because they don't make them, Im assuming this xp3000 or sempron 3000 are a little north of 100 dollars , also ddr2 memory is cheaper than ddr so your gonna pay a premium for ddr , now if you already have to buy a processor and your upgrading your memory why not do a smart upgrade to a x2 be2350 or pentuim 2140 (about 80 dollars ea.), 2gb dd6 667(about 100 dollar avg), and your only extra cost will be for a new mobo(a 690g(amd) or 650i(intel) will cost you about 80 dollars,), you will have spent about the same amount of money trying to upgrade a antique. Put that thing out to pasture, and put you dollars to work, recon is all about bang for buck, and against waste.
  2. It would probably be best to build a new system then to pour money into aging components TBH. A $40 AM2 athlon 3000+ would beat both cpus easily.

I haven't seen any socket A cpus on the retail market for a while, so you might have to check ebay, btw the Athlon XP 3000+ is faster than the sempron.
  3. If you find an AthlonXP 2500+ (Barton Core) you can overclock it to 3200+ speeds (2.2GHz).
  4. Dude just build a new system. Why not give us a budget of about how much you can spend and we can give you some ideas..........I have an old socket A barton 2500+ in my garage....;-)
  5. Ahh, the good ol' Athlon XP. I got a XP-M 2600+ or 2800+ in my HTPC. It's still chugging away.
  6. I had my 2500+ over clocked to a 3200+.......not sure what I am gonna do with it now....
  7. I have a XP 2000 in it now? Would I even be able to tell a major difference between it and the 3000 or something like a 2500 like caamsa was talking about? Is it worth my time and trouble?

And to answer all of your questions, I probably will build an entire new system in a year or so when I finish college and get some more substantial income.

Thanks.
  8. caamsa said:
    I had my 2500+ over clocked to a 3200+.......not sure what I am gonna do with it now....

Yeah, I know what you mean. I plan on sticking my E6600 in a new HTPC when I upgrade to Penryn next year. But depending on the Nehalem news, I may just wait until that is released before I upgrade my current PC.
  9. ghennis said:
    I have a XP 2000 in it now? Would I even be able to tell a major difference between it and the 3000 or something like a 2500 like caamsa was talking about? Is it worth my time and trouble?

And to answer all of your questions, I probably will build an entire new system in a year or so when I finish college and get some more substantial income.

Thanks.

In short: no.

I have a 2600 as a secondary. Just surf some online shops and look at the prices of new low end CPUs and mainboards and you will see yourself.
  10. It probably cost less to replace the mobo, proc and memory with new parts anyway.

Athlon X2 3800+ $64
    GIGABYTE GA-MA69VM-S2 AM2 AMD 690V Micro ATX $60 - (integrated gfx but has a pci express slot for future upgrade)
    1 GB DDR2 800 RAM ~ $40

vs

Athlon XP 3000+ - $73 (found on ebay)
    2 GB DDR 333 - $110 (newegg)
  11. turboflame said:
    It probably cost less to replace the mobo, proc and memory with new parts anyway.

Athlon X2 3800+ $64
    GIGABYTE GA-MA69VM-S2 AM2 AMD 690V Micro ATX $60 - (integrated gfx but has a pci express slot for future upgrade)
    1 GB DDR2 800 RAM ~ $40

vs

By all respects, Do what Turboflame says!!! I wouldn't hope to think your trying to save a dead horse here. Please do yourself a favor and upgrade to the latest "cheap/budget" system.
  12. turboflame said:
    It probably cost less to replace the mobo, proc and memory with new parts anyway.

Athlon X2 3800+ $64
    1 GB DDR2 800 RAM ~ $40

vs

See that was i was trying to say.
  13. So what was the conclusion?
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Processors