Sign in with
Your question

HELP!! bought EVGA 680i mobo and it wont turn on!!

Last response: in Motherboards
October 6, 2007 3:49:26 AM

Just bought EVGA 680i SE mobo and it wont turn on!! PSU is fine, brand new Ultra X3 600w, tested it w/ power supply tester. 8 pin 12v power is connected, 24 pin power is connected. Blue led on motherboard IS ON. Computer will not turn on, even tried another case because i thought it was a bad power button in my case. Any suggestions??? Thanks you
October 6, 2007 4:31:21 AM

check the little lcd readout on the mobo, what code does it display?
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2007 4:33:11 AM

Just a few ideas:

1. Power hooked to all three locations: main, cpu, video?
2. Short the power switch pins directly with a screwdriver to rule out bad switch or wiring error
3. Only install CPU (plug in cpu fan), 1 stick RAM, video card and monitor. See if that boots. If not try another stick of RAM.
4. Could chassis be shorting to case floor? Standoffs installed?
5. Do you even get a momentary spin of fans? Does the power supply turn on and stay on? Does it power up but just not kick the monitor?

If you are certain the PSU is good then a bad mobo would seem to be indicated. That is if nothing at all happens.
Try starting system with no ram and see if you get error beeps.

Check too if anything happens with no CPU installed.
A typical PSU tester is not a perfect test, it really only tells you some power is working but not necessarily sufficient power. If you have another put it in there before you RMA the motherboard.
Related resources
a c 156 V Motherboard
October 6, 2007 6:25:04 AM

eVGA 680i motherboards have builtin POWER and RESET buttons. As the board is mounted in the case, they are located on the lower edge beside the piezoelectric beeper, below the bottom PCI connector. Check the mobo manual.

I would first try another PSU.
October 6, 2007 9:31:29 PM

computer will not even POWER on, no booting, no lights, no lcd read out, not POWER. Exchanged my board, got a new one, same problem. PSU works fine. no way I could have got two bad boards
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2007 9:50:15 PM

How have you determined that the PSU is fine? A simple PSU tester is not good enough at this stage. PSU would be the likely suspect if 2 boards have failed to start on it.

Of course it could be something else. Try starting up with NOTHING connected to it but CPU - take out RAM and Video card and no drives, nothing. See if the PSU fires up and if you get any error codes/lights.

a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2007 10:10:36 PM

PSU would be suspect based on brand alone. A DOA Ultra is not unheard of. If you have a volt meter, you could at least check the PSU leads to see if there is anything coming out.
October 6, 2007 10:32:31 PM

Sounds like you are not plugging in the CPU 4 pin plug. Slow down and read the directions. If your mother board is 24 pinned and you are only plugging 20 in that could be the problem as well. Did you plug the power on jumper in the right spot?

I think you need to read your directions instead of winging it.

One more thing, is the switch on the back of the psu on? Lol you never know.
October 6, 2007 10:34:15 PM

well im having the same problem with my GA-P35-DS3L right now... the fan on the video card spins. case fans also work but not the one on the heatsink of the CPU(i have a cooler master heatsink cooler and it works in other machines)
October 6, 2007 10:39:05 PM

Like was mentioned before plug the 4 pin CPU connector in. I dont know how many times I seen this question and the answer is always the same.
October 6, 2007 10:39:44 PM

Like was mentioned before plug the 4 pin CPU connector in. I dont know how many times I seen this question and the answer is always the same.

There is one plug for the fan on the hS and one plug 4 pin plug for the CPU.
October 6, 2007 10:55:49 PM

i know im not that dumb dude.... besides i'm taking A+ class and i know most of the things but now i dont know what the heck is going on with my motherboard again
October 6, 2007 11:02:01 PM

boner said:
i know im not that dumb dude.... besides i'm taking A+ class and i know most of the things but now i dont know what the heck is going on with my motherboard again

I never said you were dumb, I just was saying how often this is everyday. It dont hurt to recheck your connections.
Maybe you have the wrong 4pin plugged in. Some psus have 2. One for the 20/24 pin and the other for the cpu 4 pin.

If its not the connections its either a bad psu or you dont have the cpu in or seated right.
October 6, 2007 11:07:40 PM

i did check and recheck and recheck dude but nothing now im guessing that my memory is the one that is bad and the CPU and
October 6, 2007 11:07:53 PM

Okay, from what you said:

4-pin ATX +12V connector from power supply to motherboard (lower left hand corner of the CPU socket)
OR
8-pin EPS +12V connector from power supply to motherboard (again, lower left hand corner of the CPU socket)?

Check.

24-pin connector from the power supply to (usually) the right side of the motherboard?

Check

CPU seated firmly in the socket?

Check.

All sticks of RAM seated firmly in the slots?

Check.

Video Card seated firmly in the slot? (only about 1 mm or less of gold sticking out of the PCI-Express lot)

Check.

Other cards seated firmly in their PCI slots?

Check.

Motherboard's metal standoffs centered on all of the mounting holes? Not using any extra metal standoffs?

Uh...you might want to look at this one. An extra metal standoff may short your motherboard to the case and cause it not to fire up.

Also, you may want to use your power supply with another system to test it out.

...or...you may want to grab another power supply and try it out.
a c 156 V Motherboard
October 6, 2007 11:24:19 PM

OK. It is time for my long Dr. McCoy to Captain Kirk "It's dead, Jim." troubleshooting reply.

This is a general purpose reply. Parenthetical comments for my eVGA 122-CK-NF68 motherboard or your particular situation are in italics.
Assuming the speaker is properly connected to the motherboard, no beep means the POST did not start. A bad video card or bad memory would still generate a beep pattern indicating video or memory problems. (eVGA 680i board has builtin piezo beeper - doesn't need speaker.)

(You should become familiar with the POST codes. Your motherboard manual may list them. If not, google something like "<motherboard part number> POST codes".)

Turn off the computer with the switch on the back of the PSU or unplug it. I prefer to use the switch if present. That way, everything is still grounded through the power cord. Wait a few minutes. While you are waiting, double check all the cable connections. Make sure that the case switches and LED's are connected correctly. Pay close attention to the main power connector to the motherboard. If the computer is completely dead, the case power switch may be bad. Swap it with the reset switch. Turn on the computer. If it still doesn't work, you have to resort to serious troubleshooting. (680i motherboard has builtin POWER and RESET switches. Use those for troubleshooting.

If so, six possibilities:

1. The motherboard is improperly installed in the case, shorting something out. This happens surprisingly often.

2. Bad or inadequate PSU. A working PSU will send a control signal called "PSGood" or something similar to the motherboard. eVGA calls it "PWROK". (According to the 680i mobo manual (pg.18), you can find it on pin 8 of the 24 pin power connector. It should go to 5 volts dc when you turn on the PSU.) The motherboard needs this signal before the CPU can start the boot process. A problem with any output should kill the PSGood signal. Losing the PSGood signal forces a CPU reset. PC's with modern components NEED a good PSU. The forums here contain guides on how to select (by brand and capacity) a good PSU. And even a reputable PSU may be DOA or have other internal problems. All of the outputs can be present, but nothing will happen without PSGood. The CPU will stay reset.

3. A bad drive or video card affecting the PSU.

4. Bad memory.

5. Bad CPU.

6. Bad motherboard.

CAUTION - you need to remove power (ON-OFF switch on back of PSU or unplug it) from the computer each time you install or remove anything. I know this sounds stupid, but you'd be surprised ...

Disassemble everything. Breadboard (assemble the components outside the case on an insulated surface) only the PSU, motherboard and speaker, and CPU and HSF. If the problem was in the CPU socketing, reinstalling the CPU should solve it. Now you need a way to turn on the computer. I use wiring, switches, and LED's scavenged from an old case. Turn on the computer. If the fans start spinning, you have a good 12 volt output. Look for any motherboard LED's. If you hear beeps, the computer at least started POSTing and the PSU, motherboard, and CPU are probably good. No beeps means that at least one of the three are bad. At that point, all you can do is test the parts by substitution. I say "probably good" here because an inadequate PSU could pass this test and fail later when it's more heavily loaded.

Beeps now should indicate memory problems. (With no memory installed, an eVGA 680i mobo will generate a series of long single beeps.) Install the memory. No beeps probably means that you have a shorted memory chip. Dual channel motherboards can operate with only a single memory module installed. Install each one separately and test. Sometimes motherboards do not properly set the memory operating voltage. That is a more complex problem than the simple "It won't start" problem. ("Simple" is not the same as "easy".)

With the memory installed, if you hear beeps, that should indicate that the POST detected video problems. (With no video card installed, a 680i will generate a series of one long and three short beeps.) Install the video card, plug in any necessary aux power cables, and plug in the monitor. Turn on the computer. No beeps now means that the video card is shorting out the PSU. Otherwise, at this point you should see something on the monitor if the video card is good.

(At this point, if there are no problems, a 680i mobo will successfully POST (a single short beep) and the LED display will show "7F". The monitor will indicate a boot failure.)

Turn off the PSU and plug in a keyboard. Turn on computer. Try to enter the BIOS to set date and time and verify the amount of memory present. If you can do this, it means that all the expensive parts are probably good.
Start plugging in the rest of the components one at a time and test. No beep, and you have found the problem.

If everything works, it probably means that something was improperly installed in the case. Reassemble in the case and test. If you are lucky, everything works.

I always breadboard a new build. I pretty much reserve the fourth port of my KVM switch for system testing.
October 6, 2007 11:48:46 PM

I think there is a good chance you got at least one bad stick of memory. I just did a build that wouldn't boot at all when a DOA stick was in there. If you have 2 sticks, try each one separately, if you only have one stick see if you can borrow a good stick to try.
a c 156 V Motherboard
October 6, 2007 11:49:04 PM

boner, you were posting while I was reediting (again) my troubleshooting reply. And I'm still not done. I need to go back and emphasize all the extra 12 volt power cabling that a modern PC needs. I didn't put that in because I figure anyone smart enough to build his own computer will RTFM. OTOH, I forgot the 6 pin VGA connector once.

I work in Saudi Arabia where my house is known as the Elephant Graveyard of Computers. I strip and salvage to build giveaway systems. The first time - well once - several years ago that I assembled parts in a box and it didn't work, I became a proponent of breadboarding. Like I said above, I always breadboard a new build.

!