Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Nehalem
  • Intel
  • Windows XP
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
September 19, 2007 2:06:23 AM

Our second favorite rag, Fudzilla has pics of Nehalem running 16 threads at IDF. The details aren't stated but the chip is able to run XP.

More about : idf intel shows nehalem

September 19, 2007 5:33:33 AM

Baron the details are not stated? You must work at AMD I suspect?

details (The baron thanks C/net:

"The Nehalem demonstration featured a system with two quad-core processors; each processing core can handle two independent instruction sequences called threads, and the demo showed all 16 threads at work on various tasks. The processor was the very first incarnation of Nehalem--the "A0" version--built for the first time three weeks ago, Gelsinger said.

"What you saw today was incredible health," he boasted during a meeting with reporters after the speech. "It really is pretty spectacular, and we're excited by the progress."

Nehalem brings major changes not just to the processor but also to the way in which it communicates with memory and other processors, a technology formerly called CSI, which variously stood for Common System Interconnect or Interface, and now branded as QuickPath Interconnect, or QPI. QuickPath reproduces a technique that rival Advanced Micro Devices used for years to market share against Intel and secure a solid position in all four major server makers' product lines.

The Nehalem processors demonstrated Tuesday each had four cores on a single slice of silicon, the approach AMD uses with its new Barcelona member of the Opteron processor family. In 2009, Intel will sell Nehalem processors with eight cores on a single slice of silicon. "

ok baron there is the details!

Intel out flanks amd again! By using increased on die memory or cache!

Intel reports memory bandwidth will triple even with a "untrue" quad core - AMD only reponce is thats simply amazing! (ok amd did not say that)

The true quad core my get buried by the untrue core only to be left in the dust by the hyperthreading octo-cores in 2009.

AMD's best hope at this point is having bin laden bodies fly a plane in to the 32nm fab shop giving AMD more lead time!

I would not rush out and by anything other then a q6600 at this point.
September 19, 2007 5:39:27 AM

baron you might want to change your avatar here ya go!
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 19, 2007 6:27:16 AM

Oh crikey, the ultimate fanboy dual going on here. Intel vs AMD, who will win?
September 19, 2007 7:17:15 AM

randomizer said:

Amtel of coarse! lol

Best,

3Ball
a b à CPUs
September 19, 2007 7:32:09 AM

:lol: 
September 19, 2007 11:23:00 AM

dragonsprayer said:
Baron the details are not stated? You must work at AMD I suspect?

details (The baron thanks C/net:

"The Nehalem demonstration featured a system with two quad-core processors; each processing core can handle two independent instruction sequences called threads, and the demo showed all 16 threads at work on various tasks. The processor was the very first incarnation of Nehalem--the "A0" version--built for the first time three weeks ago, Gelsinger said.

"What you saw today was incredible health," he boasted during a meeting with reporters after the speech. "It really is pretty spectacular, and we're excited by the progress."

Nehalem brings major changes not just to the processor but also to the way in which it communicates with memory and other processors, a technology formerly called CSI, which variously stood for Common System Interconnect or Interface, and now branded as QuickPath Interconnect, or QPI. QuickPath reproduces a technique that rival Advanced Micro Devices used for years to market share against Intel and secure a solid position in all four major server makers' product lines.

The Nehalem processors demonstrated Tuesday each had four cores on a single slice of silicon, the approach AMD uses with its new Barcelona member of the Opteron processor family. In 2009, Intel will sell Nehalem processors with eight cores on a single slice of silicon. "

ok baron there is the details!

Intel out flanks amd again! By using increased on die memory or cache!

Intel reports memory bandwidth will triple even with a "untrue" quad core - AMD only reponce is thats simply amazing! (ok amd did not say that)

The true quad core my get buried by the untrue core only to be left in the dust by the hyperthreading octo-cores in 2009.

AMD's best hope at this point is having bin laden bodies fly a plane in to the 32nm fab shop giving AMD more lead time!

I would not rush out and by anything other then a q6600 at this point.

Details means things like Clockspeed of CPUs, Clockspeed of CSI, etc. Two chips is not details.
a c 102 à CPUs
September 19, 2007 5:56:37 PM

randomizer said:

Well, if you look above, you also have Linux vs. Windows as well :D 

I actually think the picture is funny, but it would have been funnier if the box was blue, for obvious reasons...
September 19, 2007 7:11:50 PM

BaronMatrix said:
Details means things like Clockspeed of CPUs, Clockspeed of CSI, etc. Two chips is not details.

yet, a Barcelona running a task manager was a detail to you..... :sarcastic:  :sarcastic: 
September 19, 2007 9:14:49 PM

yomamafor1 said:
yet, a Barcelona running a task manager was a detail to you..... :sarcastic:  :sarcastic: 

They did say the clockspeed. If you look at the pic, Intel is not getting scaling across all cores, yet AMD did.
September 19, 2007 9:31:01 PM

Intel can not post the clock speed or the EU will pee in their panties and cry foul!!!!

i would guess based on the past info, the clock speed is the same - with a a0 chip i am sure clock speed is not the first priority - this demo is for 2009. Look for clock speeds in early 08.
September 19, 2007 9:35:45 PM

BaronMatrix said:
They did say the clockspeed. If you look at the pic, Intel is not getting scaling across all cores, yet AMD did.

I think this discrepancy is because there are only 8 cores. The other 8 are virtual (Hyperthreads).
September 19, 2007 10:32:02 PM

BaronMatrix said:

Actually, no. When AMD did the famous "task manager" demo, it was on a 4S server, with a huge task manager on the screen.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36083

Even Charlie was a little disappointed that no specification or clockspeed regarding the server will be given.

So, keep spinning, BM :lol:  :lol: 
September 19, 2007 10:54:54 PM

yomamafor1 said:
Actually, no. When AMD did the famous "task manager" demo, it was on a 4S server, with a huge task manager on the screen.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36083

Even Charlie was a little disappointed that no specification or clockspeed regarding the server will be given.

So, keep spinning, BM :lol:  :lol: 

So if Intel does it, it's OK, but if AMD does it they're screwed? I am only trying to prove your bias. I couldn't care less until Phenom.
a b à CPUs
September 19, 2007 11:37:30 PM

Nehalem certainly looks impressive but I'm skeptical about Intel bringing back Hyperthreading. I might actually start buying Intel procs again, specifically Nehalem, because they are finally dumping the northbridge and adopting Hypertransport, er, I mean Quickpath. It's still hurry up and wait until 2H 08 tho.

September 20, 2007 12:40:37 AM

BaronMatrix said:
So if Intel does it, it's OK, but if AMD does it they're screwed? I am only trying to prove your bias. I couldn't care less until Phenom.

I normally do not take time out of my day to argue with you baron as plenty of people do that for me, but basically to answer your rhetorical question yes. It is OK if Intel does it because they are not and will not every be in a situation where they are screwed or are going to go under. They do not NEED a competitive product right now and AMD does. I am not saying that AMD is dead or anything like that, but YOU of all people must understand that AMD needs a competitive product because of their current financial situation. Also, AMD lives off of its loyal fan base and word of mouth with a good reputation because they do not advertise like Intel does. The community could hate Intel all they wanted, but Intel will still make money through its business contacts and the general public that see there name everywhere. Constant delays and falsifying claims of performance of its chips and showing misleading things like the one we are talking about hurt the image of AMD and image is all they have. So once again YES, it is OK if Intel does it and NO it is not OK if AMD does it...they cant afford it. They are what some may call victims of their own success. IMO! Also, you as well as many other know that this is coming from a person who is not an Intel fanboy. I have owned several AMD systems over the past few years because they were the fastest. If phenom pulls something out of its a** then I will have one of those...we will see! There is no bias in my statement, though there may be in the persons whom I am defending...regardless its still does not negate the truth behind such comments.

Best,

3Ball
September 20, 2007 12:46:24 AM

chunkymonster said:
Nehalem certainly looks impressive but I'm skeptical about Intel bringing back Hyperthreading. I might actually start buying Intel procs again, specifically Nehalem, because they are finally dumping the northbridge and adopting Hypertransport, er, I mean Quickpath. It's still hurry up and wait until 2H 08 tho.

Hyperthreading was a great idea, but it was implemented on and obvious terrible arch. My bet is that it will be much better coming from the newer Intel we have today as compared to the old Intel we used to have that gave us the P4. As for the Quickpath. I am glad that they are taking this route now as we all new they finally would, but the fact that they havent had it hasnt stopped them from taking the performance crown and having the best processors on the market, so I am just curious. If you were going to build a new system right now or whenever it may be and Intel was the obvious faster solution would you not still go with it, or do you just love the IMC? Im just curious because it almost seemed like you would be buying based on the arch design you think should be the best instead of what is actually performing the best? I just like to know other peoples opinions on things if you are wandering why I ask. Thanks!

Best,

3Ball
September 20, 2007 1:04:13 AM

amd does advertise as proof this email came today:

If you have images disabled or have trouble viewing this message, please visit
http://amd-member.com/campaigns/black/

Dare to feel your heart pound, your pulse race, and your breath catch in your throat? To open yourself up for a jolt of sheer adrenaline that just might eat you alive? To bring home a beast that’s leaping and snarling on the end of its leash?

Like Mother Nature, AMD has a dark side — and on September 25, 2007
it will be revealed to the world.

So what it really comes down to is, do you dare?

Advanced Micro Devices, Inc., One AMD Place, P.O. Box 3453, Sunnyvale, California 94088-3453 USA
AMD Homepage | © Copyright 2007 | Privacy | Trademark Info

This message is intended for rothrock4fun@juno.com. If you do not wish to receive future emails, please unsubscribe.

tiger direct sold my name to amd and they spam me with this crap! who's doing the false advertising?

come on dare?

dare what? another bad marketing mistake like the foot:

intels foot on the barce core!

ouch!
September 20, 2007 1:21:24 AM

dragonspra yer,

lol that foot one is pretty funny. Im not sure if you were getting at me with the advertisement comment, but what I meant when I was explaining to BM that they live through word of mouth and a loyal community is that they arent on TV or the internet near as much as Intel. Intel frequently will make an appearance at the end of many commercials such as some strange IBM server commercials and such. Im not saying that Intel's advertising is a bad thing...if fact I believe AMD should do more. Some people believe that AMD is better and more humble because they dont do it as much, but the fact of the matter is...if you are a company and you want your product to sell well then you advertise for it. Its as easy as that!

Best,

3Ball
September 20, 2007 1:28:58 AM

3Ball said:
I normally do not take time out of my day to argue with you baron as plenty of people do that for me, but basically to answer your rhetorical question yes. It is OK if Intel does it because they are not and will not every be in a situation where they are screwed or are going to go under. They do not NEED a competitive product right now and AMD does. I am not saying that AMD is dead or anything like that, but YOU of all people must understand that AMD needs a competitive product because of their current financial situation. Also, AMD lives off of its loyal fan base and word of mouth with a good reputation because they do not advertise like Intel does. The community could hate Intel all they wanted, but Intel will still make money through its business contacts and the general public that see there name everywhere. Constant delays and falsifying claims of performance of its chips and showing misleading things like the one we are talking about hurt the image of AMD and image is all they have. So once again YES, it is OK if Intel does it and NO it is not OK if AMD does it...they cant afford it. They are what some may call victims of their own success. IMO! Also, you as well as many other know that this is coming from a person who is not an Intel fanboy. I have owned several AMD systems over the past few years because they were the fastest. If phenom pulls something out of its a** then I will have one of those...we will see! There is no bias in my statement, though there may be in the persons whom I am defending...regardless its still does not negate the truth behind such comments.

Best,

3Ball

Maybe you shouldn't have bothered. Perhaps the concept o the paragraph escapes you. No flame but I had to stop reading at

It is OK if Intel does it because they are not and will not every be in a situation where they are screwed or are going to go under.

Maybe it was the "every" instead of "ever." Sounds like a strange bias against working families to me.
September 20, 2007 2:13:05 AM

Yes it is ok if intel does it...

Why? Because they are a year ahead of schedule. AMD didn't release a thing even when the product was weeks away. Except the crap old FPRATE SPEC benchmark.

Let's put it this way. If nehalem launches this time next year. Let's see who's demoed more out of AMD and Intel (Comparing AMD's demonstrations of Barcelona of this time last year).
September 20, 2007 2:50:27 AM

BaronMatrix said:
Maybe you shouldn't have bothered. Perhaps the concept o the paragraph escapes you. No flame but I had to stop reading at

It is OK if Intel does it because they are not and will not every be in a situation where they are screwed or are going to go under.

Maybe it was the "every" instead of "ever." Sounds like a strange bias against working families to me.

Yes Baron, combat what I said by not reading it and then by attacking my lack of imperfect writing ability. I apologize for not wanting to proof read my forum posts! Instead of a strange bias against working families, I like to look at its as more of a bias against people who don't seem to be able to see past their own personal bias and accept the fact that it is possible that their fave company isn't always right or the best in the industry. I don't know...maybe thats just me!

Best,

3Ball
September 20, 2007 3:43:58 AM

i agree with 3ball
intel isn't going anywhere ever unless the world explodes
i don't want to see intel win over amd. all i am saying is that AMD needs to get a move on or they won't make it much longer.

@BaronMatrix
you have no valid point when you don't read other's post (3balls)
and you have no room to speak about spelling mistakes

@3ball
nice symbol
September 20, 2007 4:03:07 AM

raptorxt said:
i agree with 3ball
i don't want to see intel win over amd. all i am saying is that AMD needs to get a move on or they won't make it much longer.

@BaronMatrix

@3ball
nice symbol

lol, thx man I am having a hard time waiting for UT3! :pt1cable: 

Best,

3Ball
September 20, 2007 5:04:59 AM

i am still pissed about amd!

i used to build crossfire and intel systems now i have build crappy nvidia systems - i hate nvidia (only due to them banning intel from sli - i still have my sli ready 975x mobo's) - i don't mind amd, i just like picking on them during their hurting phase. worst case is samsung or IBM buys them.

back amd - amd really messed up ati, the feds should have never allowed it.

the eu, what a piece of smelly brown stuff - all they do is fine American companies to transfer case from the USA to the eu - amd and ati is like eggs and chicken or cheese and peanut butter or fish and red wine

they do not go

---

ok back to the subject - wow is intel looking smart. onbard mem control in the back ground, 2 kinds of quad cores

-----------

amd - wow are they stunbling this 2ghz launch is a fiasco - 2ghz? omg what is it a celron killer or what?
September 20, 2007 2:37:59 PM

We've been over that, though dragonsprayer. If anyone actually buys AMD (or merges, etc.) Intel can completely legally pull the x86 license and that new company cannot produce x86 chips. This is why IBM does AMD's research for them, without actually being an official "merger" or "buyout". If AMD is using external fabs (Chartered, etc.) and their research is being done by IBM, what exactly does AMD do?
September 20, 2007 5:11:18 PM

K,

I have to agree somewhat with the Baron...

I know I checked and the earth did not stop... Not sure if Hell froze over as I have not been there.

Demo'ing a box showing 16 threads is one thing but providing actual benchmarks is another.

I am glad they demo'd and gave everyone a heads up but this is nothing more than market speak at this time.

This is identical to the AMD demos showing Barcy at 3.0ghz. It means nothing until we get our hands on them ourselves.

I will NEVER back ANY demo that just shows it operating windows and the performance tab.

Good that they have them but that is all it is. Marketing at its worst.
September 20, 2007 5:26:48 PM

BaronMatrix said:

One sec, let me get out my BabbleFish Translator...

Translating from Bullshit to English:

BaronMatrix said:
You're right and I'm wrong, but I can't handle that because I'm a "DEV" who promotes AMD on Taxpayer's dime while I'm supposed to be programming. I'm not adult enough to handle someone respectfully disagreeing with me. If you need me I'll be over at Sharikooks site stroking his ego and agreeing with everything he says. I love Barcelona because it's 40% faster, I'm sure I'll find at least one benchmark, right? Perhaps a memory benchmark, that'll do the trick!
September 20, 2007 5:36:55 PM

Now as far as the scailing across all cores comment well that I will have to disagree on :) 

Barcy did huh?

You kill me sometimes Baron. If you truly do work in the software industry then you would probably not make comments like this as fact.

So yeah you are right this is NOT a valid demo of anything.

But to speculate anything based upon this demo is pretty short sighted.

In fact it is JUST AS short sighted as speculating anything from AMD showing number of cores in use while running Windows task manager.
September 20, 2007 5:58:32 PM

raptorxt said:
i agree with 3ball

@BaronMatrix

@3ball
nice symbol

Make what much longer? They never made any money before Opteron. Nowadays, every major OEM has several Barcelona server planned. For 2347 to be at Newegg a little more than a week after the launch says it wasn't a paper launch and the rising price means that it is in demand.

Now that means that the 90nm chips would have to be 2X the size of K10 for them to not save money as 300mm wafers give 2X the space as the 200mm ones Opteron is currently made on.

Even with this supposed 30% yield - I doubt it's that bad - they will still save money on manufacturing. Even JP Morgan raised their rating after Barcelona launched. Of course they will have to aggressively ramp clock speed to get back to the $2500 level for 4P CPUs, but only in volume not in clock. SInce there are 2.5GHz K10s around and 3GHz Phenoms, I think they'll start to make money back from the server market.

I mean the usual suspects are guaranteed to upgrade to K10 - MS, Google, ILM, Cray, Sun and their customers - especially since both Harpertown and Nehalem need new chipsets other than the CLoverton-supporting ones. And FBDIMMs are not the green darling that ECC is for AMD so the power-conscious data center will choose AMD. Again.

It looks brighter than any of you will try to understand.
September 20, 2007 6:03:48 PM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
One sec, let me get out my BabbleFish Translator...

Translating from Bullshit to English:

I have never agreed with Sharikou. He's an idiot for starting that BK nonsense over there. The one thing you can say about him is that he got his name in international websites. And no I don't remember which ones.

At any rate I respect people who respect me. The fact that you have a "translator" says you're just like Jack. Looking for people to laugh and joke with while Intel laughs at you. Unless of course they give you free CPUs for insulting people who like AMDs products and business model.
September 20, 2007 6:17:16 PM

ches111 said:
Now as far as the scailing across all cores comment well that I will have to disagree on :) 

Barcy did huh?

You kill me sometimes Baron. If you truly do work in the software industry then you would probably not make comments like this as fact.

So yeah you are right this is NOT a valid demo of anything.

But to speculate anything based upon this demo is pretty short sighted.

In fact it is JUST AS short sighted as speculating anything from AMD showing number of cores in use while running Windows task manager.

I was just being funny. I did think it was interesting that no one saw any wrong in that demo. Demos are just what they are. Demos. I have no illusions about how hard it is to make a CPU. If people are going to crap on AMD I'm going to crap on Intel - or at least the people who crap on AMD. I keep telling you I hope Intel and AMD stay within a few % of each other from now on. And so you all remember:

ALL HAIL THE DUOPOLY!!!
September 20, 2007 7:55:03 PM

Problem is Baron...

You full heartedly defended the task manager demo from AMD.

Now you are dogging the same from Intel.

In difference to you I dogged both as they are pretty much meaningless other than the fact that they have working/bootable prototypes of the chips..
September 20, 2007 8:43:23 PM

ches111 said:
Problem is Baron...

You full heartedly defended the task manager demo from AMD.

Now you are dogging the same from Intel.

In difference to you I dogged both as they are pretty much meaningless other than the fact that they have working/bootable prototypes of the chips..

That's because BaronFUDrix is a die-hard AMD fanboy second to only Sharikou.
September 20, 2007 8:48:01 PM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
That's because BaronFUDrix is a die-hard AMD fanboy second to only Sharikou.

Nah, 3rd, behind Sharikou and Scientia.
September 20, 2007 9:58:43 PM

The difference between the demos is that AMD refused to admit they were behind, and presented their demo with the intent of people believing they were further ahead in development than they really were. That is, they had a chip running Task Manager when they should have been at the Engineering Sample stage.

Intel, on the other hand, is just showing that they're ahead of schedule - not inferring that they are almost ready to release.

But, yes, you are correct - "Demos are just what they are. Demos." Nothing should be believed 100% until it's released and tested by third parties.
September 20, 2007 10:34:02 PM

BaronMatrix said:

My bias... :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Another question for you, can you please prove I have a bias based on my posts?

The difference is that Intel is showing a pre-production chip roughly a year before its due date, when AMD showed theirs roughly 3 months before their "supposedly" launch date.

So, put it in your words, I'm only trying to prove your bias.
September 20, 2007 11:34:56 PM

BaronMatrix said:
For 2347 to be at Newegg a little more than a week after the launch says it wasn't a paper launch and the rising price means that it is in demand.

That's speculation. High demand could mean low availability too. Given AMDs history i would look that way first.
September 21, 2007 12:56:15 AM

I think we are getting of the subject here:

this demo by intel shows me:

1) shows, that new systems in year will be far superior and making huge jumps in perfoamce once again. lets wait
2) that intel products offer better compatiblity and performance while amd keeps changing sockets new p35 mobo's with ddr3 are out now

add that too:
3) pci-x 2.0 and ddr3 will be added to new chipsets and the amd's hd 2900xt with dx10 drivers will compete with the 8800 ultra
4) x38 is coming with dual 16x slots combined with a q6600 go 3.4ghz air cooled systems are cake and far superior what ever amd releases when amd finally gets around to it

for you IT guys loyal to amd - yes you do have a great low power quad solution. For the low end consumer amd dual core chips compete well with intel.

As far as bread and butter systems in $1500 and up the qx6600 and new 6x50's are far superior to amd products - and you be able to upgrade.

iFor me, I was going to build a quad core system with a E chip for myself again i will wait since software is so fare behind. Bottom line is the triple bandwidth makes me hold again.
a c 102 à CPUs
September 21, 2007 3:25:01 AM

NMDante said:
Nah, 3rd, behind Sharikou and Scientia.

I'd say Sharikou, 9inch, and all of MadModMike's alter egos are the worst ones to post here far and away, bar none. Nobody else comes close (at least out of The Basement, that is.)
September 21, 2007 4:47:42 AM

MU_Engineer said:
I'd say Sharikou, 9inch, and all of MadModMike's alter egos are the worst ones to post here far and away, bar none. Nobody else comes close (at least out of The Basement, that is.)

True. Very true.
I still think the king is Sharikou. The guy is living in a world, all his own.
September 21, 2007 6:03:47 AM

BaronMatrix said:
I have never agreed with Sharikou. He's an idiot for starting that BK nonsense over there. The one thing you can say about him is that he got his name in international websites. And no I don't remember which ones.

But you whole-heartedly agreed with Scientia, which in fact, still a fanboy. At least he has half a brain, while Sharidouche has none.

[b said:
At any rate I respect people who respect me.
]
At any rate I respect people who respect me.
[/b]
But if you don't respect others from the get go, do you think others will respect you?

The fact that you have a "translator" says you're just like Jack. Looking for people to laugh and joke with while Intel laughs at you. Unless of course they give you free CPUs for insulting people who like AMDs products and business model. said:

The fact that you have a "translator" says you're just like Jack. Looking for people to laugh and joke with while Intel laughs at you. Unless of course they give you free CPUs for insulting people who like AMDs products and business model.

Actually, take a look around and see who they're laughing at. Maybe after realizing that you may be able to see the reality.
!