Floppy Start Up Issue

jetshipjumbo

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
Hello,

I have an issue with a Dell Dimension 4700 where when the computer is first started a black screen pops up saying that the floppydrive/disket was not found. I went into the bios setup and changed the boot order. In changing the boot order I even discarded the floppy drive as an option as this computer does not have one. The order I have now is 1.Hard Drive 2. CD-Rom.

Any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

'Dude, you've got a Dell!'

Have you thought of bothering them for an answer?

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

'Dude, you've got a Dell!'

Have you thought of bothering them for an answer?

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006

Gee, why not try READING the message you quoted. "Floppy not found" means, as you said, that there is no floppy drive installed, yet the bios is looking for a floppy. By removing the floppy from Bios the problem is solved. The system probably "halts on all errors" during bootup. This is not something unique to Dells but ALL systems will tell you the floppy drive is missing - if it looks for one and it's not there.

It would be better to set CDrom as first boot, so you can boot from the CD for tests and reinstall.

MAgrippa

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Did you go into bios and set your "A" drive to none or disabled? ( if you have that choice....... Honestly get another PC ( build your own ) Too many proprietary issues ( NOTE: UPGRADES ) with Dells, HP's, and ... The list goes on and on........

jetshipjumbo

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
Hey, I just wanted to say thank you to croc and bustedsony for the posts the other day. It's amazying that some jerks just can't keep their mouths shut. People come to forums to help one another. If you don't want to help someone, fine, keep your mouths shut. You don't need to be a jerks and flame people because you think you're all high and mighty.

Not my PC, helping out a friend, and good luck with the ladies gentlemen!

A big thanks to MAgrippa for giving a real constructive answer to my post and remaining respectful.

By the way, problem resolved. Not boot order/list issue either.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Ok, if I am a jerk for giving you good advice, then so be it. I at least didn't suggest you RTFM, as I was reasonably convinced that reading is not your strong suit. But I at least thought that you might be able to handle a freecall to Dell's help desk, where your question would have probably been handled in less than 30 minutes. Of course, I can only go on the few times that I've had to deal with their customer service here in AUS.

Polite time over.... STFU, A-hole.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006

Hey, what did I say? I suggested taking the message literally, in that it said no floppy was installed, thus removing it from Bios was the solution, this being precisely what MAgrippa also said, but I said it first. I highlighted READING the message as that message was the self-evident solution, I'm sorry if it sounded condescending, my apologies. Also I gave more information than MAgrippa in explaining WHY it generated that message. And NAgrippa yelled at you about having a crummy system that needed upgrading, I didn't suggest any such thing.

I was also responding to Croc, he WAS a twit suggesting it was all related to being a Dell; I said that it was nothing to do with being a Dell.

Gee! Know your friends... :sweat: