Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

is it worth lapping ur CPU?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
September 19, 2007 4:58:28 AM

I have q6600 go stepping cpu, i lapped my thermalright 120 extreme heatsink My idle is around 30 C , load 47 C

Is it worth it lapping the cpu?Its kinda risky from my aspect of the view, if something goes wrong lapping it ur f@k, also its going to void my 3 year warranty :pt1cable:  .. what you guys think?

More about : worth lapping cpu

September 19, 2007 5:06:33 AM

I wouldn't do it, I think the performance gains will be to minute and like you said risk voiding your warranty. Temps your getting is pretty good. Is your CPU overclocked?

A better investment would be in better case ventilation.
September 19, 2007 5:11:11 AM

no!

you loose the warranty and who cares if it runs a few degrees cooler!

thats just my opinion

lap the cpu cooler not the cpu
Related resources
September 19, 2007 5:19:09 AM

no i haven't overclock my cpu yet Maybe after 3 year I'm start overclocking my q6600 but no need for now though.
September 19, 2007 5:33:24 AM

In a OEM CPU that you won't sell, it could be. But in a 3 year warranty retail CPU is madness. The gain in temps is not more than a couple degrees.
September 19, 2007 7:43:58 AM

I lapped my CPU below and it bought me about 9c drop in temps.
Of course the QX6700 run very hot and so it was worth it to lap my cpu.
However your temps are extremely good for the Q6600..the previous B3 stepping ran nearly 10c hotter so it's not worth it for you to lap it.
September 19, 2007 11:40:47 PM

If you ever plan to resell your CPU, don't lap it.
September 20, 2007 1:11:36 AM

dude! are u crazy!

ok your going to lap the cpu but you will not overclock?

do you realize a qx6800 is just an overclocked overpriced q6600?

overclocking is your best friend - laping is what dogs do!

I overclock every computer i sell - thats what i sell - performance - how do u get it??? by overclocking not by lapping!

by the way i offer a 3 warrany on top of the the standard 3 year intel warranty.

oc your system, or go buy a hp or a emachine!


amd dares you to try there stuff:



I dare not try a amd the speed my blow me over - or the wait time may turn me grey. i am so bad and such the IFB!
September 20, 2007 2:04:08 AM

My passenger car's tire plate says to inflate the tires (Eagle LSA 235/55R17's) to 30 PSI. At 70 miles per hour steady speed, flat road my gas mileage is 33 miles per gallon. If I over-inflate my tires to 35 PSI my gas mileage improves to 34 mpg. Of course over-inflation is a relative term because those tires can handle a lot more than 35 PSI.

Now everybody (meaning all those experts) says that you should ignore the manufacturer's recommendations and inflate the tires to max to improve gas mileage and handling etc.

What they forgot to tell you is over-inflating (air pressure relative to the weight load of the vehicle) also causes uneven tire wear. 30 PSI was not a number just dreamed up by GM for my car, rather it was a number that computed the load capacity of the tires, the sidewall strength of the tires, the loaded weight of the car etc. Same tires on a different GM car have different PSI recommendations.

At 30 PSI a set of tires will last 40,000 miles. Good performance for a high performance tire. At 35 PSI the tires are shot in less than 20,000 miles. Oops. And at $185 per tire... Hmmmmm

Do the math. 1 mpg in gas savings over over 40,000 miles at 34mpg @$2.75 per gallon.... 1176 gallons of gas versus 1212 gallons = 36 total gallons in savings x 2.75 = $99 savings in fuel while consuming One set of tires ($740).

Yep over-inflating is soooo wise.


How does relate to your lapping question?

Think about it.

Lapping is going to gain you what? At what cost?

Could you just add a $10 case fan and improve the air circulation and lower the air temp and achieve the same effect?

Maybe a better application of thermal paste will achieve the desired effect.

How about a new cooler?

$10 here, $20 there, versus screwing up $300 just to gain a few points on the epenis scale. Makes as much sense as me over-inflating my tires.
September 20, 2007 7:46:32 AM

dragonsprayer said:
dude! are u crazy!

ok your going to lap the cpu but you will not overclock?

do you realize a qx6800 is just an overclocked overpriced q6600?

overclocking is your best friend - laping is what dogs do!

I overclock every computer i sell - thats what i sell - performance - how do u get it??? by overclocking not by lapping!

by the way i offer a 3 warrany on top of the the standard 3 year intel warranty.

oc your system, or go buy a hp or a emachine!



Do you even know what lapping is? Lapping your CPU allows the temps to drop even further which allows you to overclock more.
In the ops case there's no point in lapping his cpu because his decrease in temps wouldn't be worth it.
September 20, 2007 8:57:04 AM

I had a set of BFGoodrich Comp T/A ZR 245/45ZR-17 tires on my 1997 Mustang Cobra. Replacement cost, at a discount, was about $230/tire. I don't know what the tread wear rating was and they were run at the pressure recommended for that car. I got about 10,000 miles out of them before they were whipped. Of course I also averaged about ten miles per gallon. Ah, the good old days.
September 20, 2007 10:13:46 AM

If your a guy that lives to OC then yes by all means do it. If you have the time and know how it will bring down your load temps 2-9c, but ask yourself is 300-600MHz worth it to you? I will milk my CPU for everything it has to offer even though my lifespan is being cut short, I upgrade every 18 months so I knock off a few years of life big deal.

If you decide to lap it do both your HSF & CPU. A good surface to use for lapping is a piece of tempurd glass
September 20, 2007 11:15:22 AM

StevieD said:
My passenger car's tire plate says to inflate the tires (Eagle LSA 235/55R17's) to 30 PSI. At 70 miles per hour steady speed, flat road my gas mileage is 33 miles per gallon. If I over-inflate my tires to 35 PSI my gas mileage improves to 34 mpg. Of course over-inflation is a relative term because those tires can handle a lot more than 35 PSI.


Like all Car vs. Computer analogies, yours is fundamentally flawed.

Lapping in and of itself, if done correctly, causes no damage to the CPU and lowers temps, meaning better longevity. Your argument is that over-inflating tyres gets you one advantage (improved MPG) whilst delivering a downside (increased wear).
To apply the same analogy with lapping a CPU it would be that if you get over inflating wrong, your tyres burst straight away, but if you get it right you get improved MPG AND your tyres last LONGER.
a c 123 à CPUs
September 20, 2007 11:52:43 AM

I wouldn't do it. The potential gain isn't worth the risk. If you want lower temps, there are other, safer things to try first. You have a good HSF. Is there a fan on it, and good airflow through your case?
September 20, 2007 12:04:48 PM

I guess the OP missed the post from the guy who destroyed a good CPU with a failed attempt at lapping. The risks FAR outweigh the benefits... the only exception being if you're just doing it for the experience on a REALLY old CPU.
September 20, 2007 8:33:54 PM

andybird123 said:
Like all Car vs. Computer analogies, yours is fundamentally flawed.

Lapping in and of itself, if done correctly, causes no damage to the CPU and lowers temps, meaning better longevity. Your argument is that over-inflating tyres gets you one advantage (improved MPG) whilst delivering a downside (increased wear).
To apply the same analogy with lapping a CPU it would be that if you get over inflating wrong, your tyres burst straight away, but if you get it right you get improved MPG AND your tyres last LONGER.
I was going to say that, but I preferred to reminisce.
a b à CPUs
September 20, 2007 9:20:47 PM

The degree of temp improvement from lapping the CPU seems to vary a lot. I am not a lapper so I will pose the question; is this because some heat spreaders are flatter than others, and if so he might check the flatness of his CPU with a razor blade to see if he is even a candidate for lapping? Just asking.

Personally, if I were to consider lapping I would do it a few times with an OLD CPU first, until I was sure I had the hang of it.

But if the OP has no plans to OC lapping would seem to be madness. Why OH why would you?
September 22, 2007 12:38:11 AM

Lapping the CPU is a wise decision from a enthusiasts pov, as previously stated it's good for about 5-10C drop in temperature.
There's no such thing as a CPU that runs too cool.
The old analogy of lowering your cars transmission fluid temp by 10degrees fahrenheit doubles the life of the transmission is true, each and every 10degree drop in fluid temp doubles the life again.......
Ok, enough with the old analogies, CPU's are very similar to car transmissions, the cooler it runs the longer it's gonna last.
If your not confident in your abilities or think you may screw it up thru ignorance or inexperience then don't do it.

Folding@Home
September 22, 2007 12:43:37 AM

notherdude said:
The degree of temp improvement from lapping the CPU seems to vary a lot. I am not a lapper so I will pose the question; is this because some heat spreaders are flatter than others, and if so he might check the flatness of his CPU with a razor blade to see if he is even a candidate for lapping? Just asking.

Personally, if I were to consider lapping I would do it a few times with an OLD CPU first, until I was sure I had the hang of it.

But if the OP has no plans to OC lapping would seem to be madness. Why OH why would you?

(in a nutshell)
By lapping the CPU you allow it to dissipate heat much quicker, because there is less material between the core and the heatsink thermal transfer takes place much quicker and the CPU runs cooler

Folding@Home
September 22, 2007 4:15:04 AM

first tires

what the tire reads is the max - the setting depends on the vehical.

a truck with 35psi tires runs best around 25psi - or you get a very bumpy ride

i light weight sports car runs best near max for handling
September 22, 2007 4:16:58 AM

2ND

dragonsprayer said:
no!

you loose the warranty and who cares if it runs a few degrees cooler!

thats just my opinion

lap the cpu cooler not the cpu


mario2008 said:
no i haven't overclock my cpu yet Maybe after 3 year I'm start overclocking my q6600 but no need for now though.




MARIO THE TREAD AURHOR

ASKED IF HE SHOULD LAP HIS CPU - BUT IF YOU READ HIS SECOND POST HE SAYS HE IS NOt GOING TO OC FOR 3 YR3 - therefore there is absolutely no reason to lap the cpu

lapping is only if you want to try to squeeze 3% out of a already too high oc!

i build systems that last years - key is the sweet spot


lapping does little for your bottom line
a b à CPUs
September 22, 2007 5:06:18 AM

Non OC CPUs simply do not fail, certainly not from heat and certainly not in a CPUs effective lifetime of a few years at best. If the odd one does I feel quite certain it is rare indeed. At least if this happened to your retail CPU you would be covered by warranty, unless of course you had lapped.

For the life of me reccomending lapping for a non-overclocker and a beginner at that is madness. Madness I say. :p 

For a serious overclocker the situation is of course different.
September 22, 2007 5:12:50 AM

no risk=no reward
but you must weigh the risks as most of the above posts mention.
long story short, add a case fan or a better CPU HSF with good thermal paste, and avoid, voiding the warranty.
!