boner

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
ok gigabyte just RMAed back my motherboard yesterday and i tested it before putting all things together... i put one ram stick and the video card and it started good... then when i put it in the case with all the drives and the other memory stick and another cpu heat sink(bigger heavier) it did not want to POST.. and the fan of the CPU does not want to run for 30 seconds and also when i press on this thing stays on for about 30 seconds then it goes off and then it goes on again and i have to wait 5 seconds for the cpu fan to run... :whistle:

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
It's your memory. The extra stick you added must be bad. Try removing it and see if it starts. I have the same motherboard and the CPU fan does turn on after the system fans.

vertigo2

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
I also have this motherboard, and I noticed the CPU fan would come on 4 seconds after I turned the system on.

I flashed the BIOS to newest (F5), and all was well, then I swapped power supplies. Now, the CPU fan (which is attached to the CPU fan header) turns on immediately, but dies after 5-6 seconds, leaving me with just a heatsink on my CPU, and a useless fan.

I have since relocated the CPU fan cable to SYS_FAN_1 header, which is fine, but only powers the fan to spin at about 750rpm, instead of 1800.

Are you saying that a simple CMOS reset cured your issue?

vertigo2

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
I did reset the CMOS after I flashed to the F5 BIOS.

Oddly enough, my CPU fan issue only started after I replaced the 400w Fortron with a 550w Antec NeoHE power supply.

Perhaps I should reset it again, just to be sure?

Don't judge one thread as GOD. There are many of others that have this board and don't have issues. Yes there are a few of these out there, but I'm sure there other mobo's that have similar issues. Most of the issues end up being user related (not always though), so don't judge it right off the bat. I'm not defending Gigabyte on this, but just wanted to point out that 1 thread doesn't constitute a major problem.

halcyon

Splendid
You're unquestionably correct. However, I've just RMA'd a Gigabyte GA-P965-DS3 because of not too disimilar issues. New Egg, being the 'Egg they are, promptly gave me a full refund...even after 10 months. I've had good luck with Asus (I know some have not) so I'll take this all as a lesson and stick with what works for me. I settled on the Asus P5KC P35, and while it may not be the best I'm feeling more confident about it...especially since its for my 8-year-old Squirt. Hopefully, she'll be playing Lost Planet and Crysis in no time.

As for Gigabyte? Its 2007, going on 2008, it may be time they lost the mal-placed CMOS clearing jumpers. Anyways. Sheesh.

:bounce:

Couldn't agree with you more. Just wanted to make a point about posts. Not that yours is bad, but I've been seeing alot of similar issues and alot of people get impressions about a particular product and make judgements on it. I have several different mobo brands that I've used over the years and haven't had any major issues, except for my first build on a Chaintech mobo (anyone know what happened to them?). And if Gigabytes, still got those pain in the a$$ jumpers, than they definately need to sh$t can them!!

halcyon

Splendid
Maybe it costs Gigabyte a lot less to use the jumpers as opposed to a more contemporary solution. ...wouldn't want them to sacrifice any profit or anything. The P965-DS3 was the 2nd Gigabyte board in less than a year to go belly up on me. I can't imagine what I'm doing so differently on the Gigabyte boards than I do on my Asus boards. Fortunately for me, there is, indeed, Asus.

vertigo2

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
Clearing the CMOS did nothing for my problem.

The CPU fan header on my DS3L is shot, no doubt about it. Gigabyte suggested I RMA the board.

I would, but I won't have a use for that fan header once my Ultima-90 and Scythe S-Flex SFF21F fan get here.

Otherwise, it's been pretty good, except for the "press power twice to power me on!" thing that it likes to do.

rhaezor

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007
I had a weird fan issue with this motherboard also. Turns out there is a fan setting that will actually turn your fan off if the cpu isn't "hot enough." I am at work so I can't state what exactly this setting is, but I disabled it and my fan stayed on since then :)

simlev

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
Yeah, the setting is "CPU Smart Fan Control". It scared me too when I saw the fan stop after a couple of seconds, but then I learned it is because it gets turned off when not needed.

kaeota

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
ooh, so thats what that does? i have a foxconn board (ach! never again *is ashamed*) and i have something similar... that explains those fan stops! thanks for that!