best drive combo for dvd backup?

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
i finally broke down and decided to backup my dvd collection. obviously backing up dvds consumes massive amounts of storage. so i was wondering what is my best bet to fix this problem?

i was thinking maybe 2 1tb drives in raid, which should be more than enough. at least for a few years.
or maybe 4 500gb in raid

im really not worried about speed, but more security as i dont want to re-rip everything again

if it helps, my ultimate goal is to turn my current system into an htpc, which all my media available at a click of a button.

thanks for any suggestions

The value of raid-1 for protecting data is that you can recover from a hard drive failure quickly. Fortunately hard drives do not fail often. Raid-1 does not protect you from other types of losses such as viruses, software errors, operator error, or fire...etc. For that, you need EXTERNAL backup. If you have external backup, and can afford some recovery time, then you don't need raid-1.

I think I would look at a network attached storage uniit to hold the backup files and forget raid on the pc. On whatever schedule you want, backup the new files to the NAS.

TRENDING THREADS