romeup

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
I'm considering upgrading to a Mac mini Intel 2Ghz Core 2 duo. It comes with an Intel GMA 950 graphics. Does this graphics card have real built in 3D rendering capabilities? Enough to meet the new Photoshop CS3 extended 3D hardware rendering requirements?

Has anybody tested this?

Rom

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Based on this I would say yes. Would you be better off with a beefier GPU? Probably.

System requirements and languages

Note: Adobe® Photoshop® CS3 and Photoshop CS3 Extended have the same system requirements.

MacintoshPowerPC® G4 or G5 or multicore Intel processor
Mac OS X v.10.4.8
512MB of RAM
64MB of video RAM
2GB of available hard-disk space (additional free space required during installation)
1,024x768 monitor resolution with 16-bit video card
DVD-ROM drive
QuickTime 7 software required for multimedia features
Internet or phone connection required for product activation
Broadband Internet connection required for Adobe Stock Photos* and other services

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005

Well, it was a C2D system... so I wasn't going to knock it for that... but the GMA 950 upgrade... yes, that's worth a laugh.

sailer

Splendid

Mac people can be like that. My older brother upraded his Mac to 4 mb of video memory a couple years back and thought it was a big deal. I told him that I was running 128 mb of memory in my video card and he stopped talking. Now he doesn't mention it anymore, except that he is still running the 4 mb.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006

So if you told him there were 768Mb on a GTX and you could have two in SLI for 1.5Gb, he would tell you where a liar and there was no such thing

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004

Well he could call him a liar and that there was no such thing, since SLI setups do not add up memory (i.e. GTX + GTX is not 1536MB of V Ram), You have two GTXs on SLI running on "only" 768MB of total VRam (one card's ram modules only).

Anyway, macs are "fine" (not good) for people who like to watch a dvd, browse the web, check emails, and simple office apps (Word, excel, etc...). However for some "REAL" apps you'd be better off buying a REAL PC with better hardware. Simply put, with apple (Not only macs, but all their products) you don't pay for performance, you pay for the looks.

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Not that I'm an expert, but I think they make some high end video editing software that is well regarded. They are also used a decent bit in some professional niches usually involving some form of creative design (audio, image, video).

-mcg

sailer

Splendid

No, he wouldn't call me a liar. My brother and I get along pretty good. He started his computer life with an Apple 2E and I started with a Commodore 64. I migrated to an IBM clone and he went with Macs. Its always been a friendly thing, but he's a bit in the stone age when it comes to computers. Then again, for what little he uses it, he doesn't need the most powerful thing around. Computerwise, his biggest failing was buying into the idea that Macs were so much better than PCs despite all evidence to the contrary. Now, I think Macs are just a habit to him.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
And I can't stand you **** retarded people talking about Mac that don't even ****' own one -- go away and hump Bill Gates or Steve Ballmer's leg and shut the **** up.

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005

This a very well thought-out post and provides much insight into the neverending PC vs. Mac debate.

human_error

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006

Wow, that really put the above posters in their place didn't it?

I used my gf's mac for a week last year just to try it out, and she (who had always owned mac's) used my pc. You know what happened? She had no problems, crashes or anything while using my pc for the week, but on the 3rd day of using her mac i encountered a crash that needed me to turn off the power as the mac wouldn't respond, and when it started back up her i-tunes library had been "forgotten" along with other random settings. It was one of the new mac books with an intel dual core in it - not quite the flawless machines the hype machine makes them out to be is it?

I hate you fanbois who have to resort to swearing and random insults as soon as pc users prove that pc's are not as buggy and crashy as apple portray them and also show mac's to be the less-than-perfect machines that they are. Why don't you go out and buy some more move overpriced apple products? I'm sure that will calm you down.

**edit for typo**

blashyrkh

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
well, face it ppl. At least with Macs, you have style. Have you seen the movie "Wild Hogs"? That scene with the mac, I believe sums it up.

runswindows95

Distinguished
To the OP:
The Intel GMA 950 isn't designed for any 3D work really. It's great for 2d work, playing a DVD, and that's about it really. Since you're interested in a Mac Mini, I would suggest getting the 2GB of RAM with it. An actual GPU would be nice, but it's not an option with the Mini.

To V8VENOM:

If you will read, we find it funny how someone is considering an integrated card an upgrade when in reality it's a downgrade. That's what most of us were commenting until your "intelligent" response. Also, considering this is a PC/Hardware forum, what do you expect? I for one like building my computer with the hardware I selected which you can't do with Mac.