Trouble with 8800gts

richardscott

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Hi this is my first post, im haveing trouble with my OC because i can run all the stabilty programs fine and it passes but at soon as i play a game it will crash after 10 mins usuwally with a bsod.

im runnning a q6600 @ 3.37 375fsb and 1.4 volts when its under full load the temps are below 50
on a asus p5n-e with the north bride voltage on 1.46 and giel 2gb 6400 at 750 mhz.

when i clock down to say 2.9ghz then the gfx card can run fine ive searched through the forums and found nothing like this. its wierd any sujestions?.

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
By stability programs, you mean prime95, orthos, etc?

If it crashes right when you start gaming, chances are their is not enough power to run everything. What's your psu? Probably likely that when a game start up, and the graphics card starts to run at full power, it ends up bsod'ing. Or your OC is just not stable, and you think it is...

If you're running orthos, make sure you run 2 instances, with 2 cpu's dedicated to each orthos.

If you could give a little more info, it'd help.

richardscott

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
erm my psu is 650w and yea you could be right but you would think it would crash straight away and not 10 mins into the game i was running everest which uses all your cpu no matter if you have 2 or 4 cores my pci-e is locked to 100 and cannot change the other one anyeway. erm as far as info what do you need ? ive lowered my core to 3.34ghz and ran everest on stabilty test for 4 hours while i was at the pub lol. im just going to test 3dmark now if it crashes ill post back.

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
ehh...I haven't had a new rig for a while, and haven't oc'ed since I got this 3.2 prescott, but I doubt everest is good for stress testing, download Orthos...And run two instances, with task manager setting each application to access only two cores, while the other orthos accesses the other two.

650 watt isn't enough info, even if it's 650 watt, a crappy psu is still a crappy psu...Brand/model?...I'm praying it's not a rosewill..I want to slap people when I hear those words.

richardscott

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
lol i downloaded orthos and realised its a version of prime95 but without the extras erm ive done prime 95 4 of em its not the cpu as ive stated its only when the gfx card is stressed but what you say about the psu is helpful if it might be that my m8 has a modular sli capeable one i can knick for a few mins.

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
atrix = tier 5...

tier 5 = garbage

I'd recommend getting a new psu. chances are your running out of power on 3d boot...which causes the system to crash. PSU's are the most important factor in a system, it's not uncommon to see a cheap quality psu die and take a computer with it. I would recommend getting a new one...How much do you have to work with if you can nab a new one?

Also, how does the computer fair when your not oc'ed?...do games freeze?...The psu has a combined 32 amps on the 12 rails....But it's still a very low quality psu...very bad stability/components.

Just so you can understand the differences, here..

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088

richardscott

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
erm well in jan when my student loan comes through i should have about 300 to spend but i want some other stuff first erm if i do buy a new psu id probally have about 50 to spend on it mabee more. the thing is when its not OC'd games will run fine, when it is oc'd its only after about ten mins into the game when it crashes, it could be a bad stick of ram i dunno. thasnks anyway ill look into getting a new psu.

richardscott

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
upon further inspection i found out that i had overvolted my ram when i was trying to hit 3.6ghz a few days ago and ran mem test recently and found out that one of my sticks is **** so am spending 400 in jan to upgrade to some decent corsair and a good psu. thanks kamrooz

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
NP...

But check your memory at default speed to test if it is having errors. If it's only having errors when you're oc'ed. It's the stress on overclocking the memory cause your memory to error.

Ram is very sensitive to voltage/timings/speed. All three are a key factor in overclocking, to tighten timings, you need to test them via memtest, if it fails, you can try to give it some extra voltage to see if it can handle it. Speed is an issue if you run them over spec, and it begins to fail. You might need to increase the voltage, or decrease the timings, they all play a very important roll.

Roll back to default motherboard spec, run memtest see if it errors. If it doesn't, then you know your ram is fine, it's your OC. This time, re-oc, either loosen the timings, or increase the voltage slightly, and run memtest. Make sure you check for our memory manufacturers recommended voltage. You don't want to go too crazy high over it. If it turns out that memtest runs without errors, you're good to go.

What's the easiest way to overclock?...Trying to find the sweet spot of your cpu takes some time. But when you do plan to OC, always loosen up your memory timings to allow a lot of room. This will allow you to find the maximum OC of your CPU without worring about errors/bsod's caused by ram issues. After you find your CPU sweet spot, test your ram at it's default timings and voltage, if it's stable via memtest, you can attempt to tighten the timings more for extra performance. It will make this a lot easier on tweaking for optimum performance in the fastest route possible. So yea, it's pretty simple...Loosen the ram timings, run at factory spec voltage, OC your cpu to your hearts content, once you get your CPU stable, start adjusting the voltages/timings of your ram to get them as tight and low as possible. It will require a large load of memtest testing. But VERY much worth the benefits.

How do you think these Asus AI overclocker and other brands do their automatic oc's?..they just oc the cpu, increase the volts, and lower the timings to the point where it will in no way affect the system. It gives you an OC, but not the best possible oc you can get.

But keep in mind, a cruddy cpu can also cause issues when OC'ing....What model number is your memory? check via cpu-z or on the sticks (the sticker), I'll tell you if your sticks are good or not. Even 50 dollars sticks atm offer a great performance on OC'ing, DDR2 is EXTREMELY cheap right now, you can get Micron D9GMH chips in the 50-75 dollar market, best chips you can nab for OC'ing, so don't think your ram is bad right off the bat, geil uses D9GMH in some modules, if you can give me the model number, I can tell you what IC's they use and eliminate the need to buy new memory, afterall, they have lifetime warranties, if they are bad, you can just rma them for new sticks.