huggy bear

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2007
Several weeks ago I saw a thread on this forum where someone was giving tips, suggestions and info on pitfalls specifically with regard to building in the Antec 900 case. I am inexperienced at self-building and I would really like to find this thread again as it could be invaluable in helping me avoid mistakes.

I've tried searching but without success, anyone remember this thread?

Cheers!

G

Don't be rude man, rtfp he said he's been searching without success and is looking for help finding it so he doesn't have to post another thread looking for advice.

Additionally I just built a new computer with the Nine Hundred case and it was a breeze. I had some pre build jitters before I just dove into it. I actually opened the case up, got out all the hardware and was overwhelmed for a minute, then just started putting things together. It went together with ease.

The one thing that confused me was the lack of a speaker and power led to plug into the mobo. The power led isn't a big deal as there are so many case fans that light up that work well as a power led. I had no problems with the build so I guess I didn't need a speaker to hear the post beep either.

Other than that the case worked great for the build. There really isn't too much to it and you shouldn't really need any pointers, the mobo anchors were also already installed on the case, which was nice as well.

Gryphyn

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
I recently built my new machine using a 900, and it went together like a charm. When you get your case, lay everything out on a surface where you have plenty of room and mentally plan the steps you want to go through to put everything together.

The biggest problem with this case is cable management. Many people have cut holes in the back plate to run cables through, but I would warn against that for your first time. Get yourself a role of blue painter's tape to use to hold cables out of the way temporarily while you're putting things in. You can purchase some small zip-ties and adhesive zip-tie mounts at a store like Home Depot (look in the electrical section), and use these to route your cabling where you want it.

I decided not to cut holes on this first build, and routed most of my cabling in the space between the motherboard and the drive cages in front, using the zip-tie mounts to bundle the cables up and keep them out of the airflow path as much as possible. You can also zip-tie some drive power cables to the front side of the hard drive cage where they won't show when the cover is put on.

Overall it is a great case. The airflow is spectacular, enough so that I have all the fans on low and it provides plenty of cool air for my overclocked components and is almost silent. Yeah, no Power LED or speaker. I miss the beep, but as deuce said, the fans are all the power LED you'll need.

My system: S939 Opteron 170 @ 2.7Ghz stock voltage w/ Tuniq tower, 2Gigs Corsair XMS DDR400 @ DDR450 stock voltage, EVGA 8800GTS640 Superclocked.

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
My most recent build was with this case, and I love it! The only thing is, I wish it had a tool-less disign and dust filters like on the Antec Twelve Hundred. http://www.matbe.com/actualites/16203/antec-twelve-hundred-computex-watercooling/

Other than that, no complaints really.

tuksonrider

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
I have 2 Antec 900 cases. By far, my favorite case. Roomy, good airflow design, and QUIET!

My only gripe, as other mentioned, lack of speaker. Not a huge problem as they are dirt cheap, but should be included. For a system builder, it's nice to be able to hear beep codes.

huggy bear

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2007
yesterday I was so desperate, I looked on youtube for videos on building this case, I know how sad is that!

The strangest video was of this guy was supposed to do an A-Z of building this case but who took 40 minutes and 4 videos just to open packet after component packet, explaining what each did in great detail ( I didn't actually watch it all, I just skipped through it). Then after all that he said that he said that he couldn't film the actual building of it because it was too hard to do. I thought that was funny!