Overclocking and DDR3 memory timing concerns.

mcgeezer

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
Hi everyone,

I've finally got delivered my new computer the other day and I've had a good play around with it along with getting used to Vista.

I've read about 6 times now the very helpful guide to Overclocking Quad core CPU's however the guide relates to a system with DDR2 memory while my system has DDR3 memory loaded.

First of all, the only changes I've made in the BIOS is to increase the FSB up to 333Mhz, the system is currently running through a Prime95 test that I'm going to leave running during the night.

Here's some shots of my setup.

core_1.jpg

cpuz_1.jpg

cpuz_2.jpg

cpuz_3.jpg

cpuz_4.jpg

cpuz_5.jpg

prime95_1.jpg

spfan_1.jpg

I'm planning on trimming the CPU Vcore down from it's current setting on auto as per the guide, but my actual question is to do with the Memory timings.

Most of the optimized DDR2 timings are along the 4-4-4-12 range, where my DDR3 timings are like 7-7-7-20, should I be looking to lower these right down or are these correct for DDR3? Also, I'm assuming my core temperatures are OK as they are well below 65c under load from the screen shots.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

McGeezer

Actually, 7-7-7-20 is pretty good for DDR3. You could try to bring them down a little bit, and you may get lucky. But I don't believe you should expect to get anywhere near good DDR2 timings.