Sign in with
Your question

8800GTX and 8800Ultra SLI Question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 2, 2007 7:00:53 PM

I was wondering if anyone knew wether or not a 8800GTX and 8800Ultra can be SLI'd together. They will also be different brand cards. I am thinking I may just try it here a little while but was wondering if anyone had any success trying this? Obviously the 8800Ultra would scale it's performance down to the 8800GTX.

For those who pose the question as to why anyone would do this..... The reason is simple, I have an 8800GTX and a friend has an 8800Ultra. The Ultra is basically an overclocked GTX, they are the same family GPU just higher clock speeds. Nvidia states you can SLI a factory overclocked card with a non overclocked card and it will scale down, but when I replace my video card in the near future (Assuming the new line of cards do come out) my friend may be interested in taking my card for SLI for the right price.

Sorry for the long post, just wondering if anyone has tried this yet. I don't have a real easy way to just try it until he brings his machine over again. Thanks in advance.
October 2, 2007 7:11:41 PM

Im not sure if you can SLI different brands
October 2, 2007 7:12:48 PM

hmm... its a good question, but I suspect (don't quote me) that it won't work
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2007 8:05:04 PM

Here are the examples Nvidia gives on their website:

* EVGA GeForce 6600 with a BFG GeForce 6600 GT = WOULD NOT WORK (different GPU)
* ASUS GeForce 7800 GTX 512 with an MSI GeForce 7800 GTX 256 = WOULD NOT WORK (different GPU)
* Leadtek GeForce 7800 GT with a PNY GeForce 7800 GT = WOULD WORK (Same GPUs)

October 2, 2007 8:07:07 PM

Basically different clocks higher voltage better cooler and better memory chips found on ultra.

But id still say no, because the drivers will see them both as 2 different cards.
October 2, 2007 8:11:56 PM

you can SLI different brands AS LONG as the cards are equal (i.e. eVGA 8800GTS 640 with XFX 8800GTS 640) and as far as your second question is concerned, I'd say that technically is possible if you (or your friend) are willing to flash your cards to another BIOS (either he flashes his Ultra down to a GTX BIOS, or you flash your GTX to an Ultra BIOS).

I believe that it would be the only way to get it working, because despite being physically the same card, the different BIOS would most likely perceive them to be completely completely different cards (As far as the system is concerned.)
October 2, 2007 8:22:43 PM

Thank you for the info so far. I think I may try it anyways. Just need to see if the two of us can get together any time soon so I can post the results!
October 2, 2007 8:56:30 PM

The only way I would see that working is through some bios flashing or driver hacking. Or if nVidia decides to support a feature like this. (Hybrid SLI)
!