Gigabyte P35 DS4 Rev2.0 + XMS 4x1GB 8500C5 Mem Clock Problems

Xer0daze

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
Hey guys. I'm trying to achieve the advertised 1066MHz memory speeds on my Gigabyte P35 DS4 Rev2.0 Using Corsair XMS 4x1GB 8500C5 chips (ver2.1). There are no support forums for Gigabyte, and asktheramguy (Corsair official forums) hasn't been to helpful so far...
Gigabyte has a memory compatibility list
http://www.gigabyte.us/FileList/MemorySupport/motherboard_memory_ga-p35-ds4.pdf
and this specific model of Corsair RAM is listed as compatible PC8500 memory(which is why I bought it). Well, I'm having one hell of a time getting this to work properly.

The board wants to default to 800MHz if I set everything to auto, it runs the memory at 5-5-5-18 (although the specified timings are 5-5-5-15) and it runs it at 1.8v. I have 2 more sticks of this exact ram in another machine and it is known good, so I did some swapping to be sure all 4 sticks were good to go. I'm getting very little help from Corsair, but I've the the memory running at 1066MHz @ 2.114v with the FSB and NB/MCH both clocked up +0.05V. I have tried most voltage settings and I'm losing hair here. Can anyone suggest what settings I should use to achieve 1066MHz STABLE on this Motherboard? Do I need to bring the FSB down? If so, how do I do that? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm running out of time to RMA if this memory doesn't work out for me and I'll be stuck with these errors for life :pt1cable:

More information is posted here:
http://www.asktheramguy.com/v3/showthread.php?p=321729#post321729
at the Corsair forums along with screen shots of the Memtest86+ errors and shots of my bios settings. Please help if you can, thanks in advance!

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Ok i've just been taught basic R.A.M. via crash reading. There is a balance here so I may talk about one when i mean another. If you want the most out of your FSB(CPU maxed) you have to lower the RAM frequency to 800-for you. If you want the maximum out of your RAM you have to work out your FSB to equal your Maximum RAM frequency 1066. I've not used 1066 but i'm gunna guess an say it's 533 reading in CPU-Z.

Tiz easier for me to explain from my system. If my 800 RAM overclocked to 900 maximum (400-450 in CPU-Z) then i would need a FSB overclock of 50 to get the most out of my RAM on a 1:1 ratio. So if your mobo wont go to 1066 you would have to have a FSB o/c of 133+stock to make it run at 1066. Then if you unfuddled that you can sort your ratio's out (mobo specific) to get the 133 down to a realistic number.

P.S that RAM guy is right in saying that 4 stocks will not o/c so well.

Really sorry if this is muddled as i've only just gotten back from night shift :wahoo: and i was chrimbo shopping at eight yesterday morning.