Using raid with just one program - possible?

omaha

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
Hi, i have 2 drives, and wish to have increased speed with a database that hogs drive usage with a certain program (pokertracker)

I have an a8n sli deluxe mobo, and wish to set up a raid 0 to get extra speed.

However, i want everything else to just function as normal, ie no raid.

Is it possible to get just this program to raid all of its database stuff, and have everything else as is?

Sorry if this is a retardo question, i am an almost total noob at this!

hcforde

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
A8n-SLI is a nice ASUS board but a little dated. I have 2 of them but they are in my reserve box. I assume you do NOT want to put any money into your solution and just use what you have. If I recall the SATA ports have RAID but the IDE ports do not. therefore the first thing is are your drives SATA? You need at least 2 drives for RAID. If you RAID them (RAID0 for speed) everything on thoses drives will be in a raid configuration. Why is that a bad thing? If you need redundancy(RAID1) you still need 2 drives. With this board and 2 drives it is a mutually exclusive proposition.

Intel has what is called MATRIX RAID where you can use just 2 drives and get RAID0 & RAID1. You have to use a MB with an INTEL chipset (North Bridge)ICH7R and higher I believe.

SHORT ANSWER - With the present board you will need 3 drives to do what you want. 1 drive for the OS and other programs and THE 2 drives FOR the program you want RAIDED.