My music suddently dissapered!?

albenza

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2007
Hi guys,

I hope that once again I can get some expert help from you guys now that I somehow "lost" all the data on one of my partitions. :(

The problem:
I got an 80gb Seagate ATA disk about 5 years old. It's split into two partitions, one 29GB and one 45GB. The 45GB partition is filled up with nothing but .mp3 files, but when I go to the root it's empty, no files or folders, nothing.
Windows tells me that it's Total size is 45.2GB and I got 1.40GB free space... So where is my music?!

I had both Windows and Norton partition magic scan it for errors but all I get is that it works fine. I also tried reinstalling Windows without result.

Where do I go from here?

btw. I'm using XP PRO SP2

raptorxt

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
you shouldn't be posting here if you can't spell suddenly
what the **** is "suddently"
that is ridiculous man

if you tried reinstalling windows then i am thinking that your data is gone
to reinstall windows you have to format aka delete everything on the drives
i guess there may be a way to reinstall windows without formating but i am unfamiliar with it then

this is why i network all of my data from computer to computer
so i dont have to deal with **** like this

Mando1351

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
thats just rude man the guy is posting because he wants his music... no need to be a royal d*** about it...

Anyway...follow what chookman wrote and if that doesn't work. Make sure you didn't hide the folder within the drive.

albenza

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2007
@chookman: I just finished the chkdsk with no errors, in fact it confirms that I got 9869 files on the disk, 1.4GB free space and 0 bad sectors.

@raptorxt: LOL! Who are you to decide where I should post my questions? I believe I know what format means and in case you didn't get it... I got more than one partition on this disk, so formatting the primary partition would do no harm to the partition where my music is stored. (In fact my C drive is on another harddisk which is also split in two partitions) well.. enough typing wasted on you. FYI: I'm just going to ignore your immature attitude through out this thread so don't even bother...

@Mando: I didn't hide the folder.. LOL! what do you guys take me for? a total noob? Ok, I know you had to point that one out since it would be lame to sit here and try all sorts of things if this was the reason, but I got the "show hidden files and folders" in folder option enabled constantly.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the boot/root sector or something of this particular partition - or would it be both partitions then? (I'm just speculating here but I recall I had a problem like this once)

------------

/EDIT: Problem solved.. you where on the right track with the hidden folder idea Mando - shows that windows somehow has mistaken the folder with my music in it, for a folder with system files. Once I unchecked the "Hide protected operating system files" option, it showed up. ;)

Thanks for your time chookman and Mando.