How do I know whether my motherboard or CPU are faulty?

(Sorry if this isn't in the right section, I didn't know where to post, please move it where it belongs)

Hello everyone,

I'm having lots of problems with my PC.

- When I'm in Windows XP, the PC restarts by itself for no reason, and it restarts more often when I'm playing AoE.
- When trying to install Fedora or OpenSUSE(even XP), the PC would lock up. A lot.

Here are the specs of my PC:

P4 3.0 GHz with HT
Soltek Mobo
ATI Radeon 9200 SE (tried switching with my GeForce4 MX 4000, same things)
WDC 80 GB HDD <- when the PC restarts, I hear something like a hard disk failure sound (tried switching with a Seagate, still the same, although no wierd sounds with it)

The temperature is usually between 40-45(C) at no load, and between 50-60(C) after using the PC for sometime, or doing heavy work.

I've got the Ultimate BootCD, I ran memtest86+, when I went to sleep, woke up, traveled and came back and there was no problems. I ran that CPU stresstest for 2-3 hours, no errors.

I want to know, how can I find out what is causing these problems? The MoBo can be replaced for free with another one if I find out it has any problem.

Thanks a lot!
5 answers Last reply
More about motherboard faulty
  1. Take a look at this link maybe this might give you some ideas......

Those problems are some times hard to figure out.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_would_your_computer_reboot_itself_every_5_to_10_minutes
  2. Most of these I've read before;
    I've tried replacing every part in my PC other than the MoBo and the CPU.
    I've reapplied thermal paste too.

I also want to know if there is a tool like memtest86+ to test for motherboard faults.

Thank you.
  3. Sounds like you covered all your bases sorry I could not be of more help to you. Keep at it as it is probably some thing fairly simple that is causing the problem.
  4. Have you tried another power supply?
  5. Quote:
    Have you tried another power supply?

Yep. No difference. That was some time ago though, so I'll maybe try again later today(or tomorrow)

Quote:
    I know you listed your temps but are you using a program like TAT that logs the temps while you playing the game, thats the only real way to know what the temps are during gameplay.
    Id suspect overheating, or a power supply issue.

Excuse my ignorance, but what's TAT? and yes, I didn't log the temperatures while playing, but I will.. as soon as I know what is TAT :P

Seems you guys are so sure of the power supply, I'll change it now :P

BTW, what should be the 'normal' temps for a P4 3.0 GHz HT?
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Motherboards