Sign in with
Your question

How do I know whether my motherboard or CPU are faulty?

Last response: in CPUs
September 20, 2007 12:01:36 AM

(Sorry if this isn't in the right section, I didn't know where to post, please move it where it belongs)

Hello everyone,

I'm having lots of problems with my PC.

- When I'm in Windows XP, the PC restarts by itself for no reason, and it restarts more often when I'm playing AoE.
- When trying to install Fedora or OpenSUSE(even XP), the PC would lock up. A lot.

Here are the specs of my PC:

P4 3.0 GHz with HT
Soltek Mobo
ATI Radeon 9200 SE (tried switching with my GeForce4 MX 4000, same things)
WDC 80 GB HDD <- when the PC restarts, I hear something like a hard disk failure sound (tried switching with a Seagate, still the same, although no wierd sounds with it)

The temperature is usually between 40-45(C) at no load, and between 50-60(C) after using the PC for sometime, or doing heavy work.

I've got the Ultimate BootCD, I ran memtest86+, when I went to sleep, woke up, traveled and came back and there was no problems. I ran that CPU stresstest for 2-3 hours, no errors.

I want to know, how can I find out what is causing these problems? The MoBo can be replaced for free with another one if I find out it has any problem.

Thanks a lot!

More about : motherboard cpu faulty

September 20, 2007 5:19:45 AM

Most of these I've read before;
I've tried replacing every part in my PC other than the MoBo and the CPU.
I've reapplied thermal paste too.

I also want to know if there is a tool like memtest86+ to test for motherboard faults.

Thank you.
Related resources
September 20, 2007 8:54:54 PM

Sounds like you covered all your bases sorry I could not be of more help to you. Keep at it as it is probably some thing fairly simple that is causing the problem.
September 20, 2007 9:04:28 PM

Have you tried another power supply?
September 20, 2007 9:48:17 PM

Quote:
Have you tried another power supply?

Yep. No difference. That was some time ago though, so I'll maybe try again later today(or tomorrow)

Quote:
I know you listed your temps but are you using a program like TAT that logs the temps while you playing the game, thats the only real way to know what the temps are during gameplay.
Id suspect overheating, or a power supply issue.

Excuse my ignorance, but what's TAT? and yes, I didn't log the temperatures while playing, but I will.. as soon as I know what is TAT :p 

Seems you guys are so sure of the power supply, I'll change it now :p 

BTW, what should be the 'normal' temps for a P4 3.0 GHz HT?
!