Are these temps ok?

medamorg

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I posted this in the new system building section, but now I think I should have posted it here instead.

I recently put together my wifes new system with the following hardware:

E4500
P35-DS3L
2GB Ballistix DDR-800
320 GB 16 MB cache 3.0Gbs WD Hard drive
Antec Earthwatts 500W

Now I have a couple questions. The heatsink that comes with the E4500 is a royal pain in the ass!!! Seriously the worst I have ever dealt with. I bought the retail box version of the processor and it didnt come with any thermal paste although I did see that the heatsink has what I assume is paste that will melt into place once its powered on and running for a while.

So I get the PC together and boot it up. Running a 2.2 Ghz under prime 95 load I am seeing temps of 51-52C in Coretemp. It idles in the lower 30's when not in use. I thought that was a little high but thought it just needed to burn in a bit so to speak. I let Prime95 run for about 1 hour and temp never went above 53.

I overclocked to 266 FSB for a 29xx Mhz and set the core voltage at 1.325. Everything works fine, but now my CPU is hitting 59-60C and at times goes to 62C and then comes back down. Should I be concerned with those temps or should I just enjoy? I have read where others were in the lower 50's AFTER their overclocks so I don't know if I should be concerned or not. Suggestions, comments?

Thanks for you help in advance. This community is wonderful!

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Every chip is different. Yours might need more voltage or just run hotter.

Check the top of this forum for information on temperatures, it's all laid out for you.