Create Slip Stream Win-xp in CD or only in DVD?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Create a Slip Stream version of Windows XP:
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm

The main page is above - can someone clarify me on No. 4 (I re-type below):

(4) A full version of the Service Pack you want to slip stream. These are large files
and can be download here:
Service Pack 2 (SP2)
Service Pack 1a (SP1a)
Service Pack 1 (SP1 original)
or you can use the file called "XPSP2.EXE" located in the root of the Service Pack 2 CD
if you have one handy.

My questions:

1. Yes, I have Service Pack 2 CD from Microsoft.com, is that all and complete Service
Pack I ever need? I can omit (SP1) and (SP1a) altogether? "XPSP2.EXE" is 266MB big and
Windows-xp Pro is 512MB - no more disk space for (SP1 and SP1a) if this step can
accommodate and burn correctly.

2. If you says I really needs all the above then is (SP1 and SP1a) are the same so I
really need only one - get only (SP1a) or both - which one is correct?

3. If you says get all the above; is it correct to load in this order; (SP1), (SP1a)
then (SP2)?

4. My CD-R has only 700MB of disk space - if I follow No. 3 steps above - will there be
enough space to copy all? Sorry I don't have DVD drive and only CD BUT I'll burn my
Slip Stream CD in another PC which has a CD burner drive.

5. If I miss something - just tell me what is the best way to do a Slip Stream Win-xp.

Thanks!

Napatsfan is right
here is a website with detailed instructions and the download for
Autostreamer....the easiest program to do this with.
peterk

the problem
"<<< R I N O >>>" <Sorry@NoMail.com> wrote in message
> Create a Slip Stream version of Windows XP:
> http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm
>
> The main page is above - can someone clarify me on No. 4 (I re-type
> below):
>
> (4) A full version of the Service Pack you want to slip stream. These are
> large files
> and can be download here:
> Service Pack 2 (SP2)
> Service Pack 1a (SP1a)
> Service Pack 1 (SP1 original)
> or you can use the file called "XPSP2.EXE" located in the root of the
> Service Pack 2 CD
> if you have one handy.
>

> My questions:
>
> 1. Yes, I have Service Pack 2 CD from Microsoft.com, is that all and
> complete Service
> Pack I ever need? I can omit (SP1) and (SP1a) altogether? "XPSP2.EXE" is
> 266MB big and
> Windows-xp Pro is 512MB - no more disk space for (SP1 and SP1a) if this
> step can
> accommodate and burn correctly.
>
> 2. If you says I really needs all the above then is (SP1 and SP1a) are the
> same so I
> really need only one - get only (SP1a) or both - which one is correct?
>
> 3. If you says get all the above; is it correct to load in this order;
> (SP1), (SP1a)
> then (SP2)?
>
> 4. My CD-R has only 700MB of disk space - if I follow No. 3 steps above -
> will there be
> enough space to copy all? Sorry I don't have DVD drive and only CD BUT
> I'll burn my
> Slip Stream CD in another PC which has a CD burner drive.
>
> 5. If I miss something - just tell me what is the best way to do a Slip
> Stream Win-xp.
>
> Thanks!

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Peterk,
Thanks, Yes; Napatsfan website required only SP2 and that is more understood.
--Rino

<<< R I N O >>> wrote:
> Create a Slip Stream version of Windows XP:
> http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm
>
> The main page is above - can someone clarify me on No. 4 (I
> re-type below):
>
> (4) A full version of the Service Pack you want to slip
> stream. These are large files and can be download here:
> Service Pack 2 (SP2)
> Service Pack 1a (SP1a)
> Service Pack 1 (SP1 original)
> or you can use the file called "XPSP2.EXE" located in the
> root of the Service Pack 2 CD if you have one handy.
>

> My questions:
>
> 1. Yes, I have Service Pack 2 CD from Microsoft.com, is that
> all and complete Service Pack I ever need? I can omit (SP1)
> and (SP1a) altogether? "XPSP2.EXE" is 266MB big and
> Windows-xp Pro is 512MB - no more disk space for (SP1 and
> SP1a) if this step can accommodate and burn correctly.
>
> 2. If you says I really needs all the above then is (SP1 and
> SP1a) are the same so I really need only one - get only
> (SP1a) or both - which one is correct?
>
> 3. If you says get all the above; is it correct to load in
> this order; (SP1), (SP1a) then (SP2)?
>
> 4. My CD-R has only 700MB of disk space - if I follow No. 3
> steps above - will there be enough space to copy all? Sorry
> I don't have DVD drive and only CD BUT I'll burn my Slip
> Stream CD in another PC which has a CD burner drive.
>
> 5. If I miss something - just tell me what is the best way
> to do a Slip Stream Win-xp.
>
> Thanks!

1, 2 and 3. SP2 is cumulative. It includes all previous
updates. You don't need to worry about SP1 or SP1a. You've got
all you need right on that SP2 CD.

4. When you slipstream SP2 into your original XP CD a
significant number of files are updated (as in replaced). The
updated files will easily fit on one CD.

5. Here's another article that may clear up some of the
confusion:

http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_autostreamer/using_autostreamer.html

Good luck

Nepatsfan

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Nepatsfan,
Thanks, it's really make me understand better now. Regards! --Rino

"Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
<<< R I N O >>> wrote:
> Create a Slip Stream version of Windows XP:
> http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm
>
> The main page is above - can someone clarify me on No. 4 (I
> re-type below):
>
> (4) A full version of the Service Pack you want to slip
> stream. These are large files and can be download here:
> Service Pack 2 (SP2)
> Service Pack 1a (SP1a)
> Service Pack 1 (SP1 original)
> or you can use the file called "XPSP2.EXE" located in the
> root of the Service Pack 2 CD if you have one handy.
>

> My questions:
>
> 1. Yes, I have Service Pack 2 CD from Microsoft.com, is that
> all and complete Service Pack I ever need? I can omit (SP1)
> and (SP1a) altogether? "XPSP2.EXE" is 266MB big and
> Windows-xp Pro is 512MB - no more disk space for (SP1 and
> SP1a) if this step can accommodate and burn correctly.
>
> 2. If you says I really needs all the above then is (SP1 and
> SP1a) are the same so I really need only one - get only
> (SP1a) or both - which one is correct?
>
> 3. If you says get all the above; is it correct to load in
> this order; (SP1), (SP1a) then (SP2)?
>
> 4. My CD-R has only 700MB of disk space - if I follow No. 3
> steps above - will there be enough space to copy all? Sorry
> I don't have DVD drive and only CD BUT I'll burn my Slip
> Stream CD in another PC which has a CD burner drive.
>
> 5. If I miss something - just tell me what is the best way
> to do a Slip Stream Win-xp.
>
> Thanks!

1, 2 and 3. SP2 is cumulative. It includes all previous
updates. You don't need to worry about SP1 or SP1a. You've got
all you need right on that SP2 CD.

4. When you slipstream SP2 into your original XP CD a
significant number of files are updated (as in replaced). The
updated files will easily fit on one CD.

5. Here's another article that may clear up some of the
confusion:

http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_autostreamer/using_autostreamer.html

Good luck

Nepatsfan

You're welcome.

Nepatsfan

<<< R I N O >>> wrote:
> Nepatsfan,
> Thanks, it's really make me understand better now. Regards!
> --Rino
>

> "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
> <<< R I N O >>> wrote:
>> Create a Slip Stream version of Windows XP:
>> http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm
>>
>> The main page is above - can someone clarify me on No. 4 (I
>> re-type below):
>>
>> (4) A full version of the Service Pack you want to slip
>> stream. These are large files and can be download here:
>> Service Pack 2 (SP2)
>> Service Pack 1a (SP1a)
>> Service Pack 1 (SP1 original)
>> or you can use the file called "XPSP2.EXE" located in the
>> root of the Service Pack 2 CD if you have one handy.
>>

>> My questions:
>>
>> 1. Yes, I have Service Pack 2 CD from Microsoft.com, is that
>> all and complete Service Pack I ever need? I can omit (SP1)
>> and (SP1a) altogether? "XPSP2.EXE" is 266MB big and
>> Windows-xp Pro is 512MB - no more disk space for (SP1 and
>> SP1a) if this step can accommodate and burn correctly.
>>
>> 2. If you says I really needs all the above then is (SP1 and
>> SP1a) are the same so I really need only one - get only
>> (SP1a) or both - which one is correct?
>>
>> 3. If you says get all the above; is it correct to load in
>> this order; (SP1), (SP1a) then (SP2)?
>>
>> 4. My CD-R has only 700MB of disk space - if I follow No. 3
>> steps above - will there be enough space to copy all? Sorry
>> I don't have DVD drive and only CD BUT I'll burn my Slip
>> Stream CD in another PC which has a CD burner drive.
>>
>> 5. If I miss something - just tell me what is the best way
>> to do a Slip Stream Win-xp.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> 1, 2 and 3. SP2 is cumulative. It includes all previous
> updates. You don't need to worry about SP1 or SP1a. You've
> got
> all you need right on that SP2 CD.
>
> 4. When you slipstream SP2 into your original XP CD a
> significant number of files are updated (as in replaced). The
> updated files will easily fit on one CD.
>
> 5. Here's another article that may clear up some of the
> confusion:
>
> http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_autostreamer/using_autostreamer.html
>
> Good luck
>
> Nepatsfan

You only need to slipstream Windows XP and SP2. The slipstream process will
combine the new additions of SP2 into Windows XP. All the information will
fit onto a standard CD.
For further details on slipstreaming visit my website
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org Click the Win XP Faq button and take a look
at question 83

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org

"<<< R I N O >>>" <Sorry@NoMail.com> wrote in message
> Create a Slip Stream version of Windows XP:
> http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm
>
> The main page is above - can someone clarify me on No. 4 (I re-type
> below):
>
> (4) A full version of the Service Pack you want to slip stream. These are
> large files
> and can be download here:
> Service Pack 2 (SP2)
> Service Pack 1a (SP1a)
> Service Pack 1 (SP1 original)
> or you can use the file called "XPSP2.EXE" located in the root of the
> Service Pack 2 CD
> if you have one handy.
>

> My questions:
>
> 1. Yes, I have Service Pack 2 CD from Microsoft.com, is that all and
> complete Service
> Pack I ever need? I can omit (SP1) and (SP1a) altogether? "XPSP2.EXE" is
> 266MB big and
> Windows-xp Pro is 512MB - no more disk space for (SP1 and SP1a) if this
> step can
> accommodate and burn correctly.
>
> 2. If you says I really needs all the above then is (SP1 and SP1a) are the
> same so I
> really need only one - get only (SP1a) or both - which one is correct?
>
> 3. If you says get all the above; is it correct to load in this order;
> (SP1), (SP1a)
> then (SP2)?
>
> 4. My CD-R has only 700MB of disk space - if I follow No. 3 steps above -
> will there be
> enough space to copy all? Sorry I don't have DVD drive and only CD BUT
> I'll burn my
> Slip Stream CD in another PC which has a CD burner drive.
>
> 5. If I miss something - just tell me what is the best way to do a Slip
> Stream Win-xp.
>
> Thanks!

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Awesome! John,
Your: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_create_a_slipstream_cd.htm is the best
written procedure and easy to understand.

Comment to improve and make it more complete on the topic of;
3) Copy the Service Pack 2 to a folder.

a) Some guy cannot find their SP2 which were already auto install in PC.
b) Some guy find it is impossible to download SP2 because their serial # says invalid.
c) Some lucky guy have their SP2 CD handy - copy only the 'XPSP2.EXE' file to folder -
Correct?
d) Is it better and possible to download SP2 to a folder?

Lucky me I have letter (c). Thanks for showing us your 'better' procedure.

Regards,
Rino

"John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
You only need to slipstream Windows XP and SP2. The slipstream process will
combine the new additions of SP2 into Windows XP. All the information will
fit onto a standard CD.
For further details on slipstreaming visit my website
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org Click the Win XP Faq button and take a look
at question 83

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org

"<<< R I N O >>>" <Sorry@NoMail.com> wrote in message
> Create a Slip Stream version of Windows XP:
> http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm
>
> The main page is above - can someone clarify me on No. 4 (I re-type
> below):
>
> (4) A full version of the Service Pack you want to slip stream. These are
> large files
> and can be download here:
> Service Pack 2 (SP2)
> Service Pack 1a (SP1a)
> Service Pack 1 (SP1 original)
> or you can use the file called "XPSP2.EXE" located in the root of the
> Service Pack 2 CD
> if you have one handy.
>

> My questions:
>
> 1. Yes, I have Service Pack 2 CD from Microsoft.com, is that all and
> complete Service
> Pack I ever need? I can omit (SP1) and (SP1a) altogether? "XPSP2.EXE" is
> 266MB big and
> Windows-xp Pro is 512MB - no more disk space for (SP1 and SP1a) if this
> step can
> accommodate and burn correctly.
>
> 2. If you says I really needs all the above then is (SP1 and SP1a) are the
> same so I
> really need only one - get only (SP1a) or both - which one is correct?
>
> 3. If you says get all the above; is it correct to load in this order;
> (SP1), (SP1a)
> then (SP2)?
>
> 4. My CD-R has only 700MB of disk space - if I follow No. 3 steps above -
> will there be
> enough space to copy all? Sorry I don't have DVD drive and only CD BUT
> I'll burn my
> Slip Stream CD in another PC which has a CD burner drive.
>
> 5. If I miss something - just tell me what is the best way to do a Slip
> Stream Win-xp.
>
> Thanks!

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Thanks! Shernan,
I'll study your procedure and I've downloaded 'nLite' - they should include a link.

Regards,
Rino

<<< R I N O >>> wrote:
<snip>

Go here:
http://unattended.msfn.org/

Their different steps and areas will take you beyond what most people need.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Well that certainly impressed you:)

Actually you can download the whole SP2 package from Microsoft directly to a
folder. Luckily you have a hard copy, but the principle is the same.

But you do have some valid points which i will look into as soon as i have
more time.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

> [...]
>> Windows-xp Pro is 512MB - no more disk space for (SP1 and SP1a) if this
>> step can
>> accommodate and burn correctly.
>>
>> 2. If you says I really needs all the above then is (SP1 and SP1a) are
>> the
>> same so I
>> really need only one - get only (SP1a) or both - which one is correct?
>>
>> 3. If you says get all the above; is it correct to load in this order;
>> (SP1), (SP1a)
>> then (SP2)?
>>
>> 4. My CD-R has only 700MB of disk space - if I follow No. 3 steps above -
>> will there be
>> enough space to copy all? Sorry I don't have DVD drive and only CD BUT
>> I'll burn my
>> Slip Stream CD in another PC which has a CD burner drive.
>>
>> 5. If I miss something - just tell me what is the best way to do a Slip

I attempted this twice some months ago and the final CD wouldn't boot for me
either time. I may be missing a step and will try again. However, I read on
one of the sites that a "full" version of WinXP was required. Does this
mean my WinXp upgrade CD can't be slipstreamed? I don't want to try again
if this is the case.

"Gene Hora" <ams34@san.rr.com> wrote in message
>I attempted this twice some months ago and the final CD wouldn't boot for
>me either time. I may be missing a step and will try again. However, I
>read on one of the sites that a "full" version of WinXP was required. Does
>this mean my WinXp upgrade CD can't be slipstreamed? I don't want to try
>again if this is the case.

Upgrade CDs can be slipstreamed. If your original upgrade CD boots but
your slipstreamed copy doesn't, yes, you are missing a step, most likely
extracting and copying the boot image.

Not all CD burning software supports making bootable CDs. Be sure yours
does, if it doesn't you will need something else.

Some more details here:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp1_cd.htm

HTH
-pk

"Patrick Keenan" <test@dev.null> wrote in message

> "Gene Hora" <ams34@san.rr.com> wrote in message
>>I attempted this twice some months ago and the final CD wouldn't boot for
>>me either time. I may be missing a step and will try again. However, I
>>read on one of the sites that a "full" version of WinXP was required.
>>Does this mean my WinXp upgrade CD can't be slipstreamed? I don't want to
>>try again if this is the case.
>
> Upgrade CDs can be slipstreamed. If your original upgrade CD boots but
> your slipstreamed copy doesn't, yes, you are missing a step, most likely
> extracting and copying the boot image.
>
> Not all CD burning software supports making bootable CDs. Be sure yours
> does, if it doesn't you will need something else.
>
> Some more details here:
>
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp1_cd.htm
>
> HTH
> -pk

Thanks for the response and additional hyperlink. I'll give it another
"careful" try.

> "Patrick Keenan" <test@dev.null> wrote in message
>>
>> "Gene Hora" <ams34@san.rr.com> wrote in message
>>>I attempted this twice some months ago and the final CD wouldn't boot for
>>>me either time. I may be missing a step and will try again. However, I
>>>read on one of the sites that a "full" version of WinXP was required.
>>>Does this mean my WinXp upgrade CD can't be slipstreamed? I don't want
>>>to try again if this is the case.
>>
>> Upgrade CDs can be slipstreamed. If your original upgrade CD boots but
>> your slipstreamed copy doesn't, yes, you are missing a step, most likely
>> extracting and copying the boot image.
>>
>> Not all CD burning software supports making bootable CDs. Be sure yours
>> does, if it doesn't you will need something else.
>>
>> Some more details here:
>>
>> http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp1_cd.htm
>>
>> HTH
>> -pk
>
> Thanks for the response and additional hyperlink. I'll give it another
> "careful" try.

You're welcome. Be sure to check in the CD burning software for how it
handles creating bootable CDs - again, not all packages do this.

-pk

> "Gene Hora" <ams34@san.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Patrick Keenan" <test@dev.null> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Gene Hora" <ams34@san.rr.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Upgrade CDs can be slipstreamed. If your original upgrade CD boots but
>>> your slipstreamed copy doesn't, yes, you are missing a step, most likely
>>> extracting and copying the boot image.
>>>
>>> Not all CD burning software supports making bootable CDs. Be sure
>>> yours does, if it doesn't you will need something else.
>>>
>>> Some more details here:
>>>
>>> http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp1_cd.htm
>>>
>>> HTH
>>> -pk
>>
>> Thanks for the response and additional hyperlink. I'll give it another
>> "careful" try.
>
> You're welcome. Be sure to check in the CD burning software for how it
> handles creating bootable CDs - again, not all packages do this.
>
> -pk

Well, what do you know... this time it worked! The info on this thread was a
tremendous help, even though I'm not the OP. Thanks to all.

TRENDING THREADS