Sign in with
Your question

Asus 8800GTS320MB Crashes in 3D

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 3, 2007 10:20:16 AM

My 6 month old Asus 8800GTS 320MB has been over 2 weeks now crashing each time i start to play games!!
every 3D game i play it will freeze the computer with out the BSOD and give me this annoying high pitched noise from my speakers...
I can do everything but play games! watch HD movies... decode vids.. Photoshop, 3dMax everything normal except for games!
Ive Tried Almost everything!! Reinstalling Drivers... removing drivers with Driver Cleaner and installing the latest drivers but with no luck...
It even crashes in HEXIC On Windows Live Messenger game!
man its soo pissing... :fou:  :fou:  :fou: 
Whats the Use of a high End card if it wont do any 3d without crashing!
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2007 12:21:01 PM

Does it crash IN the game? or before it starts? Whats your temps like? Your psu? I see youre ocing, it possibly could be a power issue, or a heat issue IF the game at least starts. Have you checked all your connections? Cleaned your case/card?
October 3, 2007 12:22:36 PM

Man, to me this sounds like a power related problem. What is you PSU? brand and watt? Have you tried resiting the card and making sure the 6-pin is fastened properly? Also, are you overclocking the card? If so, then maybe your pushing the PSU a bit more than it can handle so drop back to stock.
Related resources
October 3, 2007 12:43:54 PM

Post your full system specs and bios and driver versions and the games you are playing. That would a big help.

It could be many things but it could be more likely a driver issue.
October 3, 2007 12:44:45 PM

Also what does your BSOD say?
October 4, 2007 12:30:25 AM

It usually Crashes in game..
it varies on when it crashes, sometimes it crashes 30 secs from starting a game or usually about 5-10 mins of playing.. the lost i ever got out with out crashing was 35 mins max...

Im running on a HEC 580W PSU
it has 18A on its 12V rail so that is sufficent.

Full Specs:
CPU: Core2Duo E6300 @ 2.8ghz 1.35V
RAM: 2x 1 GB Corsair DDR2-800 (Dual-Channel)
MOBO: Asus P5N-E SLI (Nvidia 650i SLI)
GPU: Asus Nvidia 8800GTS 320MB
HDD: Seagate 320GB 7200.10
PSU: HEC 580W Truepower ATX
Sound Card : Creative Audigy

The CPU OC has been going fine for the past 5 months with no problems what so ever.
MY 8800GTS is on Stock Clocks... ive only OCed it Once to bench 3dmark06 but that was over 3 months ago...

Im now using the latest 163.71 WHQL certified drivers...
I was using 163.69 BETA when this occured...
Reverting back to my old driver 162.15 Doesnt help
I tried almost every game i got and it still crashes
Game I've Tried:
Test Drive:Unlimited
Battlefield 2
Warcraft III
Supreme Commander
CS
CS:S
QuakeWars Demo
Rollercoaster Tycoon
NFS: Carbon
And random MSN games..
They all crash after a certain period of times

October 4, 2007 12:35:40 AM

Who lied to you and told you that PSU is enough? I'm amazed that the computer is even booting...
October 4, 2007 12:51:42 AM

580W should be more than enough...
October 4, 2007 12:56:50 AM

Wattage is one of the least important things on a PSU, on top of that that PSU seems to be able to push only 20A Peak on it's combined 12V rails according to the HEC website, and that's laughable for a 500W unit to say the least, since even some 400W FSP PSUs are able to output more than that constantly.
October 4, 2007 1:29:28 AM

PSU is crap Id say you have stressed it and now it is starting to fail.
October 4, 2007 1:29:56 AM

It sounds like a PSU issue.You may have enough wattage,but you do NOT have enough amps coming from it.Look around for a 550-600watt psu with 30amps on the 12volt rails combined for continuous use.Although your current PSU powered things ok for awhile,it is unable to perform under such loads for a long period of time.Simply put,your PSU is crapping out.Goodluck.

Dahak

M2N32 SLI-DELUXE MB
AM2 X2 5600+ STOCK
THERMALTAKE TP 850WATT PSU
EVGA 7950 GX2
SMILIDON RAIDMAX CASE
2 GIGS DDR2-800
1-250GIG SATA2 HD
1-320GIG SATA2 HD
DVD COMBO DRIVE
ACER 22IN WS LCD
WINXP MC EDITION
October 4, 2007 2:45:36 AM

It doesn't work like that, it's the combined output (Most likely watts) on the 12V rails you divide by 12 and that's what you have. Your PSU label states 240W on the 12V rails, that's 20A.
October 4, 2007 4:58:22 AM

Hmm this is weird...
i just resitted my GPU and swapped the 6pin PCI-E power slot with the other 1..
it seems to be working fine in 3d games now.... Weird...
I just finished a 2½ game of supreme commander ...:S
November 10, 2007 11:13:10 PM

Just a message to people EMP and idiots just like him who always think it's the PSU. The only person lying is the manufacturers of the PSU's. People like EMP are their bread and butter. I've seen no less than 4 different articles this month where people hammer on the original poster, telling him to buy a new PSU only to have it end with him/her finding out the problem WAS NOT THE PSU! They always insist the OP is the idiot and he should know that you need 800 watts or more.

Ever notice that none of these BIG talkers ever show up at the end to confess what a fool they were? No, that's because they were wrong and can't handle it. 90% of the people giving out advise on PSU' are spoiled 14 year old mentalities where daddy buys them any psu they like, yet they don't know what they are talking about, yet think they do. Or they are simply suckers helping a growing psu industry. They also act like it's no problem to just pop out and buy a new one in a flash, yet insist they are so definitely right. That's because they don't have anything to lose by spewing out bull advise.

November 11, 2007 12:02:39 AM

I have to admit I almost posted to tell the OP that he needed a new PSU, but that was after I read his post saying that he only had 18A on the 12V rail. 18A is certainly not sufficient for his setup, especially if he is overclocking. Then come to find out he has 2 rails :??: 

In response to jzjz, I mostly agree with you. There is almost never any need for a 700W+ PSU. However, there is a big difference between a 450W Corsair and a 450W DYNAPOWER.

Quality (rail stability, efficiency, jitter, cooling) is far more important than quantity (Watts).
November 24, 2007 9:35:38 AM

My system:
Intel Core 2 Duo e6300 @ 2.8ghz , 400mhz x 7
4x Adata ddr2 800mhz memory
Xfx Geforce 8800GTS 320mb
Gigabyte GA-650i-SLI-DS4
Hiper HPU 580W power supply

I got the exact problem as you did, how did you fix it, my problem is so i get the same crash and then the pitchsing sound and picture stays in my monitor, but when i dont overclock my CPU then theres no crash, but i want to overclock it to 2.8ghz ... And as your problem, it only happens in GAMES ....
a b U Graphics card
November 24, 2007 10:45:52 AM

First of all, gaming is one of, if not the single most demanding thing you can ask of your rig. Have you checked your temps? Could be a fan/cooler.
November 24, 2007 11:04:10 AM

jzjz said:
Just a message to people EMP and idiots just like him who always think it's the PSU. The only person lying is the manufacturers of the PSU's. People like EMP are their bread and butter. I've seen no less than 4 different articles this month where people hammer on the original poster, telling him to buy a new PSU only to have it end with him/her finding out the problem WAS NOT THE PSU! They always insist the OP is the idiot and he should know that you need 800 watts or more.

Ever notice that none of these BIG talkers ever show up at the end to confess what a fool they were? No, that's because they were wrong and can't handle it. 90% of the people giving out advise on PSU' are spoiled 14 year old mentalities where daddy buys them any psu they like, yet they don't know what they are talking about, yet think they do. Or they are simply suckers helping a growing psu industry. They also act like it's no problem to just pop out and buy a new one in a flash, yet insist they are so definitely right. That's because they don't have anything to lose by spewing out bull advise.

I happen to be a 39 yr old computer technician.And I do not care to be refered to as a 14 yr old spoilt daddys boy.I happen to build custom gaming machines for a side living.The OPs power supply is NOT considered adequit for the system he is currently running.All he did by changing the 6 pin power connector was switch it over to the other rail.But sooner or later,he will come up with the same issue,especially considering he likes to overclock.Minimal power requirements for the 8800gts 320 is 26amps on a 12 volt rail,not 20 or 18.And it must be at least 400watts.Keep in mind these are the minimum power requirements.If I were the OP,I would buy a 520-600watt PSU with a current rating of 30amps on the 12volt rail.
a b U Graphics card
November 24, 2007 11:13:35 AM

Im running 18 amps each rail, 29 for the 12 volt rail, and Im barely getting by. I have a opty 185 at stock, a 320gts, 1 HD, and barely anything else. Im starting to agree with the psu question, especially after seeing this post : My system:
Gigabyte GA-650i-SLI-DS4

I got the exact problem as you did, how did you fix it, my problem is so i get the same crash and then the pitchsing sound and picture stays in my monitor, but when i dont overclock my CPU then theres no crash, but i want to overclock it to 2.8ghz ... And as your problem, it only happens in GAMES ....
Notice the psu. Hmmm.....
November 24, 2007 12:12:47 PM

I was running a OpTY-170 at 2.8 with a 8800GTS and I was useing a Antec Trupower-2 dual rail 550 power supply and I never had any trouble until I upgraded to a new C2D6600 and an 4Gig of DDR-2 Cruciall Balistic 800 ram. All this on a ASUS P5K-E/WIFI MB. And I was having trouble Over clocking my Quad core My Video card was ok as long as I didn't Over clock. Also I couldest get much of a Oc on my Quad either so when I took the advise of a few dif people I went ahead and bought a 700wat GameXstream with 4 12volt rail's and my Over clock started working out.

I think the real problem is the day's you could buy a cheep case and expect the power supply to work ok are long gone. I agree that not every problem are caused by a week PSU but with all the power hungry part's that we are putting in our box's its putting a strain on thing's. Also heat is the major offender in my opinion most people that are building these game boxes are useing there old boxes that arnt designed to have the air flow that is needed to keep these cpu's cool. And over clocking just make's this worse causing more heat. The best way to test this is to pull the side of the case off and put a 110 volt fan blowing into it, If the problem's go away well there you go. Lac of power is a major problem but excessive heat build causes more problem's to Ocer's and Gamer's than anything else in my opinion.

I also think the PSU mfger's are putting it to us in general because they have us over a barrel, alot of us try to buy our part's for the next build as well as this one. I spent over 125 on my current psu and I hope it's good enough for my next build to. BA

November 24, 2007 5:27:34 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Im running 18 amps each rail, 29 for the 12 volt rail, and Im barely getting by. I have a opty 185 at stock, a 320gts, 1 HD, and barely anything else. Im starting to agree with the psu question, especially after seeing this post : My system:
Gigabyte GA-650i-SLI-DS4

Notice the psu. Hmmm.....

I had the problem when i used 8600gts too so it cannot be the psu or can it? It has 12V rail 20A and the second 12V rail is 18A.
And the 8600GTS didnt require the pci-e power cable...
All same problem when overclocking crash ... then i upgraded to 8800gts and crash again while overclocking ....
Although i can push the cpu to 3.2ghz and still stable at windows but not in games, i get the crash, and sound repeating...
November 27, 2007 10:44:28 AM

But what kind of psu do you reccomend is
OCZ 600W STEALTH/ XSTREAM Psu good, i looked it has 4x 18Amps rails but as one guy said 8800gts needs 30A on 12v rail ...
And btw, my psu has 12v1 20Amps and 12v2 18amps, and hiper is a "high performance group" not a crap like codegen ...
And how could you explain that, when i had 8600gts then the same thing happened... (note 8600gts didnt had the 6pin pci-e connector)
December 3, 2007 1:53:59 PM

Now i replaced my psu to Chieftech 550W still same thing happens.
!