Sign in with
Your question

Help on Intel Quad purchase... any more 65nm parts coming?

Last response: in CPUs
September 20, 2007 12:24:09 AM

Hi everyone,

Haven't been on in a while. My questions:

1) Will Quad 6600 or 6800 to come down in price (when will that be)
2) Will their be a Quad 6400 / 4300 equivilent part(s) coming out?

I built a e4300 (placeholder for quad) system on a Gigabyte DS3 r.3. This board can support a 1333 FSB, but am I correct that it will not support Penryn?

Trying to weigh my options. Is intel going to even walk down the prices on the 65nm compatible quads... or just expire them?

I have a specific software program (Adobe Lightroom) that absolute HATES an overclock... so I need high stock speed. This is for business, so stability is a must.

Thanks!
September 20, 2007 5:44:19 AM

ok

this is very important!

ALL CHIPS ARE THE SAME! what does this mean?

they only change the multiplier - there is a sweet spot both in voltage and speed for all chips.

in the case of C2D chips of the new type its 3.4-3.6ghz and 1.42-1.46v

this goes for all chips quad and duo's

buy the q6600 g0 it is very underpriced and as an intel stock holder i would be not so happy that this chip is not $500 to $600

the quad is much more repsonisve when teamed with 2 raptors in raid and third drive for apps.

bare in mind that P4's sweet spot was 1.45v too and amd runs best around that if you push it hard. if a p4 and c2d run at the same voltage and are the around the same speed do see how little difference there is? that is due to the resistance of the material to electrons leaking.

how do you find this spot? its a place where temps do not rise much and speed will not increase much - or if you lower the speed the temps stay the same.

September 20, 2007 8:54:29 AM

1) Will Quad 6600 or 6800 to come down in price (when will that be)

In November the penryn QC extreme will be released. So the current QX6850/6800 is going to be replaced, so there should be some deals around for the old parts. But the more mainstream Q6700 is going to be around, filling that price point, until Q1 time when its penryn replacement will be launched.

2) Will their be a Quad 6400 / 4300 equivilent part(s) coming out?

I don't think so. Q6600 is the lowest priced Intel QC around, wouldn't hold back on your purchase in the hope a lower sku is released.

3) I built a e4300 (placeholder for quad) system on a Gigabyte DS3 r.3. This board can support a 1333 FSB, but am I correct that it will not support Penryn?

The P35's, and G33/G35 will support penryn. Older 945/965/975 I don't think so.

Anyway, to sum up- sounds like you're price sensitive here i.e. not going for the very best chip around. So since mainsteam penryn releases won't be until Q1 you have a choice- buy 65nm now, or wait ~4/5 months and buy a penryn for the same price/hunt for a deal on the old 65nm.

Hope that helps...

September 20, 2007 9:14:23 AM

dragonsprayer, you never cease to amaze me. :pt1cable:  :sarcastic: 
September 20, 2007 9:40:04 AM

Unless I read something wrong the Penryn will be release Nov. 12!!!!
September 20, 2007 2:16:23 PM

Yep, Penryn is released nov 12th, but only the extreme QC chip. replacement for the Q6700 and Q6600 (and DC's) will be released Q1, Jan timeframe
September 20, 2007 2:50:52 PM

dragonsprayer said:
ok

this is very important!

ALL CHIPS ARE THE SAME! what does this mean?

they only change the multiplier - there is a sweet spot both in voltage and speed for all chips.

I overclocked the e4300 modestly (2.7ghz)... rock stable in all tests and all programs/games I run... EXCEPT Adobe Lightroom (horrible blue screen crashes when I run CPU intenstive batch processing).

According to Adobe, Lightroom taxes the system in ways that other programs will not and any minor cpu issues will crash it.

So I had to go back to my defaults (1.8ghz... yuck). Works fine again.

Has anybody else experienced programs that seem to dislike stable OC's? Lightroom is a new, and a very buggy program, but I thought programs wouldn't notice or care if a processor was overclocked (correctly). Unfortunetly, this program is crucial for my business.

FYI - it is not memory intenstive, just CPU intensive... so I don't think it is a memory issue.

I hate throwing $$$ down the drain on a Quad 6800 for the 2.9ghz stock... when I can just get a Q6600 and OC it.
September 20, 2007 3:23:45 PM

Actually, at least 6 Penryn XEONS will be released on the 12th.
The cheapest will have a list of under $300 with another jsut abot $300.

There will also be a total of 15 Chips total released sometime in Q4 '07.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Overclocking does not normally cause stability issues.
In your case, you may want to check your memory timings.
Make sure they are set 1:1

Example - Let's say you have DDR2-800 RAM and an E4300.
The BIOS may set the memory to run at 1:2 timing so your RAM is running at full speed.

When you then increase the FSB to speed up your CPU, you are also OCing your RAM. This could easily lead to stability issues.

At 1:1, Even DDR2-667 RAM will take you to 3.0Ghz before it is even mildly OC'd.

------------------------------------------------------------------
No, not all C2D chips are the same.
One key thing to look for is the "STEPPING".
CPUs on a shared stepping will generally be quite close.
However, different steppings could be quite different.

An original E6300 CPU will have quite different results than a 1333FSB C2D in regards to temps and OC ability.

The Q6600 is one example of a C2D that comes in multiple steppings.
Some of the lower end C2Ds come in multiple steppings as well.

!