Sign in with
Your question

Board revision mismatch. Am I eligible for RMA?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Quad
  • Intel
Last response: in Motherboards
October 8, 2007 3:45:27 PM

Hello all members of this community!

I wanted to ask all of you a simple question. I have an Intel DP965LT working for almost a year now. It was running a Core 2 Duo but I wanted to upgrade to a Quad. Problem is, my board revision is -206 and the intel site says that the fully supported Quad is in revision D41694-207 or Later. My warranty has not expired but then again I'm not sure if this kind of things are covered by warranty.

Should I RMA the board to get the new revision? Or am I stuck with this one?

Regards!

More about : board revision mismatch eligible rma

October 8, 2007 4:09:33 PM

The-Darkening said:
Hello all members of this community!

I wanted to ask all of you a simple question. I have an Intel DP965LT working for almost a year now. It was running a Core 2 Duo but I wanted to upgrade to a Quad. Problem is, my board revision is -206 and the intel site says that the fully supported Quad is in revision D41694-207 or Later. My warranty has not expired but then again I'm not sure if this kind of things are covered by warranty.

Should I RMA the board to get the new revision? Or am I stuck with this one?

Regards!

October 8, 2007 4:13:54 PM

pushed the send to quick, sorry for double posts.

You may be able to get an RMA for a newer model if the literature on board or box advertisement claims support for quad core or future quad core upgrade, then that is how they advertised it and they would have to honor it or at least you would have a solid footing for an RMA. Also depending on your morality you could claim you are getting a fatal motherboard beep code and no boot, (look up your beep codes), I have never had to do that but its a thought and your call. There are fishier ways I have heard of but you would have done that by now and not posted here at all.
October 8, 2007 4:32:11 PM

Well, the intel site says that it supports Quad core, but now there is this:

http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.asp...

I suppose I can destroy something to get a RMA but as you clearly notice, I'm not that kind of person. I like this board even with all the problems that I had.

Thankds for your feedback!
a c 435 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
October 8, 2007 5:02:35 PM

I would try selling both the board and cpu on ebay, or posting in this or anandtech's for sale section.
a c 283 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
October 8, 2007 5:48:52 PM

Why don't you call intel customer support and discuss the problem? Let us know how you fare, I have a similar problem.
a b V Motherboard
October 8, 2007 6:59:34 PM

In a nutshell, you're boned. In order to use a quad core, you will need a mobo revision "-207" or later as noted on the support website. And while they do advertise the DP965LT board as supporting quad core, they can easily state that only newer revision offer specific (quad core) processor support. So, in that sense it's not false advertising. Trust me on this, as I had a go around with Asus a few years back on the same issue.

You've only really got two options, 1) haggle with Support and "find" a way to RMA it for a newer revision or, 2) sell it and use the procedes to buy a new mobo.

Either way, good luck!

PS - +1,000,000 bonus points to anyone who can tell the OP why a new board revision was needed to support quad cores. :D 
October 8, 2007 7:43:07 PM

chunkymonster said:

Either way, good luck!

Yes good luck, but my Evga 680i was revision AR, which actually did support quad cores but only up to 3.2Ghz which was obviously already an OC'ed chip. However, Evga advertised the board as having full quad support and specifically an OC'ing motherboard.

When I upgraded to a Q6600 and hit the 3.2Ghz limit they could have said, sorry, but your board revision just isn't compatible with higher OC's, (you should be happy with that). Instead they said, no problem, our newer A1 version is also fully compatible with Quads and will run as fast as you want till your CPU screams uncle. They RMA'ed me a new board at no cost.

If Intel wants to keep your business, they should replace it, if they don't care, then you need to start shopping elsewhere for your boards. Your dollar (yen,euro) talks.
!