Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
Rendering it useless because of intense heat? That's possible. Like taking off the heatsink while running orthos. Other than that, there's probably no other way to fry it cause the cpu will shut off or something.

rootjd

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
Thanks for the input. At about what temperature will it shut off? I'm on a stock fan and want to overclock, but I'm guessing if it gets too hot then it'll shut off or reduce performance. Should I get a better CPU fan?

Yes, they do have thermal throttling and S5 shutdown IF it's enabled in the motherboard. But you can *certainly* fry a CPU by giving it too many volts. 1.365 V is the default Vcore IIRC and I wouldn't go too much above that if you want to run it for very long. More volts <x shorter lifespan. Excess voltage not only causes a bunch of heat but can cause electromigration, where the electrons in the doped substrate get enough energy to move permanently, changing the semiconductive properties of the transistor and ruining the chip. If you want to see this work, feed a P4 Northwood 1.80 volts and run it for a few hours- it might not even take that long to die. 1.75 volts was the SNDS (Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome) voltage where electromigration was known to happen. That was 0.20 volts above the stock Vcore IIRC.

If you fry it by overclocking, the Intel rep will at best be nice and tell you that overclocking voids the warranty and can fry a chip like what you did. They could also be nasty and tell you that YOU broke it and it's YOUR problem and stop tying up the phone lines for other people who didn't break their parts on purpose.

I don't overclock because my desktop is basically a production machine- it has to be alive, kicking, and stable for me to do my work, but if I did, I'd not give it more than 5% or so more than the stock Vcore, preferably just getting as high up on the stock Vcore as I could. I also intend to run my parts for many years, so even a mild overvolt could take it out before I would otherwise replace it. You may or may not be in the same situation.