Computer boots to black screen and mouse cursor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krovonrock

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
So, my problem seems to be one that many others have had, yet there seem to be a variety of solutions, so I'm asking y'all today what I should begin to try in order to fix the problem.

The problem is:

-Computer boots up
-Shows green Windows loading bar
-Goes to black screen, and all I can see is the mouse cursor.

I can not ctrl+alt+dlt, and when I try "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" or any kind of safe mode, it will not work, and goes to the same black screen. I have tried the "Last Known Good Configuration", but this has not worked either.

So my question is, is there anything special I can do to fix this? Or should I do what some have suggested and do a clean restart from the Vista disc? If so, should I somehow backup my files, will it wipe my settings?

I'd appreciate your feedback!

P.S. As some context, what started all of this is when I believe my graphics card failed. At first I could actually load Vista, but the screen was all fragmented and such. Then is just wouldn't loud at all. I have a new card now, and there are no longer the red lines or anything indicating a hardware malfunction, so now all it is, is the black screen.

I also read through a thread on this forum, with no definitive answer: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/747332.htm

Solution
i would try to do an OS repair first.
Boot to your installation disk, and after selecting language click on repair (bottom left corner). Select your OS, and let it try and find whats wrong.
you may have 2 do it a few times as Windows only attempts 2 fix one thing @ a time

arges86

Distinguished
i would try to do an OS repair first.
Boot to your installation disk, and after selecting language click on repair (bottom left corner). Select your OS, and let it try and find whats wrong.
you may have 2 do it a few times as Windows only attempts 2 fix one thing @ a time

Solution

Krovonrock

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
I cannot scan my system with any anti-virus software as I can not access Vista, even through Safe Mode. The farthest I can get is the Vista loading bar, then the screen is black. I'm going to go ahead and try the OS Repair.

Krovonrock

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
Well Gentlemen (and ladies, if present), I have successfully fixed the problem! I booted from the OS disc, did a startup repair (which didn't find anything), but then did a system restore from a point far earlier than when the problem presented itself, and voila! It started right up.

After some driver updates and disabling Windows Defender, everything was up and running smooth as silk. Thanks for the advice guys!

Cheers

miketyson

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
A possible origin of this problem (windows 7 starts with black screen and mouse visible and moving but no menus, desktop etc. and no CTRL+ALT+DEL action) is if some system files have wrong permissions.
The reason because this happen is unknown (maybe a virus or an anti-virus side effect ?) and in order to resolve you should take off the HD and reset the files permission for the Windows, Users and Program folders (and files) using another computer running Windows 7.
The quick way is to assign full control to Everyone but this is obviously unsafe, better to check every directory and compare with a working system to establish the best settings.

rubram

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012

Hey, I have the exact same issue with my computer and will try the same to fix it, however, I do have a question the original software disk include 3 disk (start recovery disk, operating system recovery disk and applications and drivers recovery) then a have a 4th disk that I created right after initial installation called rescue and recovery, which one of these should I use?
And also will I loose data from my computer ??

I really appreciate your advise

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.