Measuring CPU Temperature using a Windows Program

Last response: in Overclocking
December 13, 2007 11:51:33 PM

i have a Noctua NH-U12 on an E6850. it runs very
cool at stock, barely warm.

how do i measure temperature besides gluing a
thermocouple to the edge of the CPU ?
December 14, 2007 4:15:52 AM

Programs like coretemp and speedfan. Go google it, you can't miss it.
December 14, 2007 11:37:28 AM

Your PC already has temp sensors inside - so you can follow Evilonigiri's advice and get one of those programs. They both work very well and I believe that the newest version of speedfan has the correct temperature offsets already in place.

You could also check your BIOS during your bootup to see what an idle temp at stock settings would be. Can't help you if you want to see a load temp though. :p 
Related resources
December 14, 2007 11:38:50 AM

rgeist554 said:
Your PC already has temp sensors inside - so you can follow Evilonigiri's advice and get one of those programs. They both work very well and I believe that the newest version of speedfan has the correct temperature offsets already in place.

You could also check your BIOS during your bootup to see what an idle temp at stock settings would be. Can't help you if you want to see a load temp though. :p 

The Beta version of SpeedFan does. I don't know about a release version (my beta hasn't expired so I don't check the site til it does).
December 14, 2007 12:26:17 PM

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.
December 16, 2007 1:24:44 AM

Using Coretemp .95 or Speedfan 4.34 beta XX will give you accurate temperatures, even with quad-core processors. Any previous versions could be inaccurate, due to the different CPU cores that have been released.
July 8, 2008 7:57:38 AM

Windows block applications access hardware resource. If you want to detect CPU temperature, you must write a driver to access monitor chip and a application to communicate driver.
The web site contains source code of hardware monitor.
http://temperature.myweb.hinet.net/index_en.htm
!