Sign in with
Your question

How much thermal paste is too much / too little?

Last response: in CPUs
September 20, 2007 6:11:54 AM

I went to reseat my processor and switch out my heatsink, and when I went to re-install everything, I wasn't sure how much thermal paste to use. I did one line down the middle of the processor. Is that too little?

More about : thermal paste

September 20, 2007 7:41:25 AM

Depends on what thermal paste you use and what processor you have.
If it's a quad-core and artic silver 5 you used, the one line in the middle is grand.
September 20, 2007 8:04:49 AM

try both cases ... little and alot and see what difference in temps are..

with my TR120 ultra a bit more as5 helped by about 6 degrees
Related resources
September 20, 2007 8:19:15 AM

You just need very little. Usually less is better.
September 20, 2007 12:27:55 PM

don't forget to lap the new heatsink
September 20, 2007 1:03:42 PM

Thanks everybody, I do have a q6600, so I think I'll try and add a little more grease and see what happens.

cyberjock said:
/sigh

USE THE SEARCH FEATURE!

There's 4!!!! posts on tomshardware.com asking about damn heatsink cooler glue! Why is nobody looking before asking!?

This is the only kind of message I've ever seen you post, ever. Everything we've ever wanted to know is probably archived somewhere on this site. You wining about the reposts all the time, doesn't make me even think twice about searching for an old post.

If someone was someone was posed with the option to ask someone something and get the answer easily without searching compared to researching it, they would obviously just ask, and you want to know the best part. I wouldnt mind telling them once, twice, or a hundred times if I knew the answer they were looking for. My point is, some people like to help out other people, makes them feel good, so if nobody ever posted here, and all the information was found by searching, I don't think it would be a very "happening" community.

Quit spamming the boards with your complaining.
a c 172 à CPUs
September 20, 2007 1:09:27 PM

I am in the process of changing my HSF to an TR Ultra120 Ext. The base on mine definitely was not flat. I hand lapped to 1500 grit on plate glass.

Comment about Uncle Dave's advice: Check the base of the heatsink first. If it is flat, there's no need to do anything.

I did some experimenting with AS5 and the heatsink pressed onto the glass. Looking from underneath, I was able to see how different patterns of application spread under pressure. Based on that, I have decided to divide the CPU surface into four quadrants and apply a barleycorn sized dab in the center of each quadrant.
September 20, 2007 1:28:48 PM

Frankenstyle said:
Thanks everybody, I do have a q6600, so I think I'll try and add a little more grease and see what happens.

This is the only kind of message I've ever seen you post, ever. Everything we've ever wanted to know is probably archived somewhere on this site. You wining about the reposts all the time, doesn't make me even think twice about searching for an old post.

If someone was someone was posed with the option to ask someone something and get the answer easily without searching compared to researching it, they would obviously just ask, and you want to know the best part. I wouldnt mind telling them once, twice, or a hundred times if I knew the answer they were looking for. My point is, some people like to help out other people, makes them feel good, so if nobody ever posted here, and all the information was found by searching, I don't think it would be a very "happening" community.

I have to agree with cyberjock and disagree with you...
If everybody spent some time researching then we wouldn't have to answer the same questions over and over and over again.

Maybe you are happy being a parrot...
Or maybe your skills are so weak that all you can do is answer the same questions over and over and over again.

If people did some research... then perhaps the questions we would be answering would be new ones, with new ideas.

So I guess we are both spamming the board because your post... as well as mine has nothing to do with the OP's question

My 2¢
September 20, 2007 2:26:57 PM

Well put yourself in some of these poster's shoes. They're frustrated. They've just spent a lot of money trying to learn to put together their new system. It's not working as they expected it. So when they being to search for information, they are already frustrated. And when you're frustrated, its harder to stop and read through every post you see on the search here or google trying to find the answers. So people give up and ask.

I've done it, many people have. That being said I wish the boards weren't flooded with so many repeat posts, but give them a little slack.

That being said, Frankenstyle, I've seen you post in at least three different threads asking about this. All I know about applying AS5 is what I learned on their website. Typically, lesser is better. One small line across the middle. A lot of these people read most of the boards, there's no need to post the same question in so many threads. Also, if someone is giving you good information in a thread, shoot them a PM, maybe they'll get on IM or something to help you out.
September 20, 2007 2:27:28 PM

MadHacker said:
So I guess we are both spamming the board because your post... as well as mine has nothing to do with the OP's question

My 2¢

The original poster's question was mine, and it topic would have stayed true to the question had cyberjock not lent us his 2¢.

I don't mind answering the same questions over as long as there is someone to ask it. If you prefer to answer more difficult questions be my guest, don't waste our time by complaining, just chuckle to yourself and say, "looky there, that question again, there's no need to click on that hyperlink because I already know the answer." Then you can move on and we will all be very happy.

By the way for those of us on the topic of heatsinks and thermal jelly. It appears that even if you simply put a thin line down the middle, the whole thing will spread out when you install everything, so it probably doesn't matter that much, but it's still probably a good idea to do it the way the manufacturers say, they have mo money to do the research that we can gather from our observations.

Case Closed
September 20, 2007 2:37:06 PM

well since your are the original poster and since this case is closed then you won't mind me hijacking this thread...

why didn't you just use the search feature... that is what it is there for...
enquiring minds want to know...
September 20, 2007 2:54:01 PM

Seems the problem is a forum can be either
1) enthusiast talk with new thinking/discussion always providing new info
OR
2) help newer users with their 'easily found through a search' type of problem. stuff thats already been talked bout and rehashed, well documented info

this forum tries to be both. theres your friction. just my 2cents
September 20, 2007 3:19:55 PM

slyck said:
Seems the problem is a forum can be either
1) enthusiast talk with new thinking/discussion always providing new info
OR
2) help newer users with their 'easily found through a search' type of problem. stuff thats already been talked bout and rehashed, well documented info

this forum tries to be both. theres your friction. just my 2cents

well what happened to the enthusiast talk...
I use to see it a lot here...
I guess all the posts about is this a good video card.. or rate my system nubee stuff just taken over...
unless someone puts their foot down and tells people to use the search feature... it is there for a reason...
all the good posters that had good ideas... will get pushed away... that is what i would like to see not happen.

how many new thinking/discussion threads have you seen pop up in the last week??? month?
heck of a lot less then what there was last year...
but I guess the mods don't care... all they want is the posts...
more posts get made... more people to see their advertising... more money he company makes...
sad :cry: 
September 20, 2007 3:21:37 PM

You know what. I agree with that 100%. The majority of posts anymore and all rate my new rig and first time build questions. And it is getting redundant to the point that the boards are almost not worth checking anymore.
September 20, 2007 3:55:25 PM

One option would be that when everyone asks a question that is already been answered 100 times over is just to POLITLY remind them to use the search feature. Cyberjock had it right.. and got dumped on...
perhaps a little bit of tact would have been beneficial... but I have never been good at tact either.

Frankenstyle apparently doesn't care that these dumb redundant post are driving the enthusiast chat away...

September 20, 2007 3:56:46 PM

MadHacker said:
well what happened to the enthusiast talk...
I use to see it a lot here...
I guess all the posts about is this a good video card.. or rate my system nubee stuff just taken over...
unless someone puts their foot down and tells people to use the search feature... it is there for a reason...
all the good posters that had good ideas... will get pushed away... that is what i would like to see not happen.

how many new thinking/discussion threads have you seen pop up in the last week??? month?
heck of a lot less then what there was last year...
but I guess the mods don't care... all they want is the posts...
more posts get made... more people to see their advertising... more money he company makes...
sad :cry: 

Everyone worth their salt went to a better place to "talk shop", all that are left here are noobs with a few (and I mean few) who actually know what they are doing.
September 20, 2007 4:15:13 PM

I have been reading TomsHardware for almost 10 years.. and been reading this forum for about 3...
I'd rather see the noobs get reminded of the search feature and TOLD to use then see this forum completely go to $h!t.

I have been on a few forums where every time you start a new thread it has a pop up to remind you to use the search feature.
I thought it was annoying... but seeing how the noobs NEED to be reminded of this feature to stop these annoying threads.
but I guess I'm just talking out of my a$$ because the mods will probably treat me like $h!t and ban me for complaining...
September 20, 2007 4:25:25 PM

If this is such a noob forum, what are you doing here. Apparently you don't like it, so go somewhere else to cry about it. There is still insightful chatter here, not necessarily this thread, so I beg the question, why have you come here? You can't "politely" remind someone that something has been asked by barging in and criticizing them for asking a question, even if it has been asked a million times before.

There is a whole section dedicated to new system builds, if you don't like that kind of stuff I recommend you stick to a different area.

I have gone back and looked at other posts about this topic, using the search function I might add. Oh how I missed it the first time, I must be blind. None of the topics that I read answered all of my questions, and in more cases than not, the latest post on the topic had been weeks ago. I don't know about you, but I don't hunt through the mass postings I've made in the past to see if anything new or relevant has popped up since.

It seems to me that if you don't like a topic, you can move to the next one. I'm pretty sure you weren't dumped on this topic and can never leave, so if you don't have any real input go find a new topic.

Not every question is going to have a cool scientific background, or overly technical answer, and that's life, so take the good with the bad, and keep your personal problems to yourself.
September 20, 2007 4:53:04 PM

Frankenstyle said:
If this is such a noob forum, what are you doing here.

It wasn't always... guessed you missed that in the previous posts.
Frankenstyle said:
Apparently you don't like it, so go somewhere else to cry about it.

your right I dont like it... but unlike you who would prefer to cry about something...
I'd like to try to improve it.
Frankenstyle said:
There is still insightful chatter here, not necessarily this thread, so I beg the question, why have you come here?

I agree there is still some insightful chatter here. but not as much as it use to be.
Frankenstyle said:
You can't "politely" remind someone that something has been asked by barging in and criticizing them for asking a question, even if it has been asked a million times before.

Why not? and I didn't barge in here. Cyberjock did. and then you dumped on him.
I thought he was right but just lacked tact. but decided to defend him.

You say I can't "politely" remind someone to use teh search feature... how else will noobs learn to use it?

If you have a better idea I am open to it...

Frankenstyle said:
There is a whole section dedicated to new system builds, if you don't like that kind of stuff I recommend you stick to a different area.

I just look at latest posts on tomshardware main page. I don't go digging into the forums much unless i'm searching for something.

Frankenstyle said:
I have gone back and looked at other posts about this topic, using the search function I might add. Oh how I missed it the first time, I must be blind. None of the topics that I read answered all of my questions, and in more cases than not, the latest post on the topic had been weeks ago.

because a post was made a month ago or even a year ago doesn't make the post useless. Noob questions have been answered over a year ago... and in most cases the asnwer is just as valid then as it is now.

Frankenstyle said:
I don't know about you, but I don't hunt through the mass postings I've made in the past to see if anything new or relevant has popped up since.

try "Enable the mail notification of this thread" so I get notified when someone posts in a thread that i have posted in.. No hunting needed.

Frankenstyle said:
It seems to me that if you don't like a topic, you can move to the next one.

i was just glancing at the posts... it isn't the topic that I found anoying, it was the way you treated cyberjock.

Frankenstyle said:
I'm pretty sure you weren't dumped on this topic and can never leave, so if you don't have any real input go find a new topic.

nope I do leave. but the emails i get remind me that someone has posted and i read them.

Frankenstyle said:
Not every question is going to have a cool scientific background, or overly technical answer, and that's life, so take the good with the bad, and keep your personal problems to yourself.

well aparently I'm not the only one with this "personal problem" how many people does there have to be to have teh same problem before it isn't personal any more.
Cyberjock as well as deuce271? don't think that is personal anymore.

If all this discussion leads to one more noob using the search feature, then this whole discussion was worth it...
If you dont feel that way... well there isn't anything keeping you in this thread. as you did say earlier that this was a cosed case.
September 20, 2007 5:27:41 PM

OMG don't use a line of greese. WTF. Evenly distrubute it with you finder, make sure it is all covered evenly, the mount the heatsink/fan. If you use to much, it will heat up and turn to liquid and it will get into the socket on the motherboard which will break your MB, and likely fry your CPU.

Less is better, run off is Game Over.
September 20, 2007 5:30:20 PM

people, please stop it! Frank use the search button before asking if it doesn’t satisfy you, then ask, also google it. If People are seeing the same redundant question, just don’t go into the thread. Why are people arguing about this? And seriously, if people are getting mad about the same question needs to get a life, and see some sunlight for a change.
September 20, 2007 6:01:28 PM

wrath64 said:
people, please stop it! Frank use the search button before asking if it doesn’t satisfy you, then ask, also google it. If People are seeing the same redundant question, just don’t go into the thread. Why are people arguing about this? And seriously, if people are getting mad about the same question needs to get a life, and see some sunlight for a change.

who is mad...
I just said it was anoying...
who is arguing?
I'm just discussing it...
September 20, 2007 9:59:33 PM

MadHacker; I guess it is time to let go. No one should waste this much time on a futile thread. There's just no point to it.

So please stop feeding troll-noobs here, or I'll have to unsubscribe from this sad thread:) 
September 20, 2007 10:32:15 PM

Ya the maturity level here is mighty low. I don't think the board needs tighter moderating, I guess I just wish it was comprised of a more respectful and benign group.

I clicked on this thread actually hoping for a picture. I just replaced the stock cooler on my Q6600 with a Tuniq Tower. Yes I read the directions. The problem with directions is that they are words which can be taken to mean different things. One man's thin line is another's giant blob. Also I've read that for quad cores two lines of TIM should be used. Obviously there is still room for discussion and illustration on this subject.

Perhaps there should be a section of the forum specifically for the gnarled old salts the have been here for years so that they are not relegated to patrolling the rest of the forum and allow those with both experience and patience to answer the noob questions. Just an idear.

September 20, 2007 11:13:46 PM

Quote:
WHAT DO THE DIRECTIONS SAY? :pt1cable:  :hello: 

First time Ill ever say this to MrsBytch , Amen :lol: 
September 21, 2007 3:22:31 AM

I have seen two renditions from two different paste makers on how to apply it.

1. One line that goes accross the middle of the two cores. This can be achieved with a horizontal line across the middle of the processor if the pin-less corner is on the southwest corner.

2. Again with the pin-less corner on the southwest corner, use two vertical lines at about 1/3 and 2/3 the way across so...

(Overly large cross section of a processor...)
| L L |
| i i |
| n n |
| e e |
|... |
|... |
|<--- pin-less corner |

I have to agree, the technical writers who create the directions on most of these parts use words that make sense to them and not necessarily everyone else. It is still a great idea to read them, but clarification may still be needed on some of the more jargon heavy portions.
September 21, 2007 7:17:04 AM

Thermal Interface Material ( TIM ) is not as good a thermal conductor as metal on metal.
Too much TIM will prevent metal on metal contact.
Having said that, it is important to note that the intel "core" processors are known to have a rather sever concavity to the heat spreader.
Moving a straight edge over the top of the IHS may give an idea of the degree of concavity to your particular chip, and where aplication would be optimal.
Generally, a paper thin layer applied to each mating surface will work well, if in doubt.
Once the hsf has been secured, try to give it a few gentle twists, to work any excess TIM out from between the chip and heat sink. If this yields a lot of TIM, you have used too much.
Remember that many TIMs are electrically conductive, so dont leave excess around the chip.
Good luck.
a b à CPUs
September 21, 2007 8:14:32 AM

That looks very copy/paste :lol: 

Are you guys gonna harass every new member? Sure the same questions get asked over and over, but theres no need to bitch about it. I am not sure about the new forum, but the old one's search function was, for all intents and purposes, non-existent. Hopefully that has changed.

And stop complaining about driving enthusiast chat away, it's gone and it's not coming back. If you want that, go elsewhere. Otherwise stay here and help people in a mature manner rather than just trolling.
September 21, 2007 2:08:29 PM

I think we've got things onder control now.

I knew the intel chips came concave sometimes but I didn't realize they were such a problem. Since this question, I have met my overclocking wants and need but I would still like to cool my set down if at all possible. I have been thinking about lapping, how dangerous is it really? I realize there will be risks like getting whatever my lubricant of choice is on the chip or if for whatever reason it came out warped more than when I started, but generally speaking what are the chances of destroying my chip?

I may have to look elseware for this, but I figued you were all already here.
September 23, 2007 4:30:15 AM

Frankenstyle said:

Newbie's really do suck... still.

@Madhacker - Thanks for understanding. At least I know i'm not going crazy...yet.

@deuce271 - I understand your comment about being frustrated, but if you let 1 out of 10 people 'slack', how many posts of dupes would we get in a day? I don't need to see the same people hash out their SAME problem every time. There's 2 kinds of computer people: those that can build computers, and those that can't. Unfortunately this forum seems to be turning into people that are the latter, but want to be the former, and they don't want to have to work at it to be part of the former. They will RMA the stuff the break, and we all will pay more for our parts to pay for them. Why don't people stick to the stuff they know and when they are on unfamiliar turf find a friend that knows computers to help them. A forum is nowhere near the environment to learn all about building a computer.

Unfortunately the topic doesn't usually tell us the details, and I'll admit I don't post to 90% of threads because if I can type in a few keywords that the original poster provided and find their answer on the most basic level, it's not worth saving them. They are too far gone to save. I also do the same for posts that clearly are posted by someone that has no computer skills and is trying to fix a broken computer. Posts like "My computer beeps when I turn it on. What does it mean and how much will it cost?" Clearly that individual has no computer knowledge and is only trying to fix their computer to save money. Call up your friend down the street and ask him. A forum is nowhere near the tool a non-geek type needs to go to get all the adequate knowledge of how to fix the computer. I wouldn't dare go to a car forum and start off with "I've decided to start building a car, and I don't know what a frame is. Can someone explain to me what a frame is? I got a few frames on the wall in my hallway, can I use one of those?"

What this forum needs is a 'duplicate' subject in the forum for the mods to throw dupes of topics and other useless topics in. I know I'd get a good laugh at reading the poor saps that didn't use the search function. Maybe the comment for this new subject should be "Newbie's that should have used the search function". Just lock their thread and move it there. They'll either get the hint and learn something, or they won't and GTFO of our forum.
a b à CPUs
September 23, 2007 4:47:36 AM

So do trolls :sarcasm:
September 23, 2007 5:26:59 AM

madhacker ,calm down. This is just the internet
September 23, 2007 7:51:43 AM

Lol, I've always wondered how much paste to apply myself. I've just always evenly spread a very thin layer over the whole chip, and gotten good results with that (never heard of doing a line until reading this thread).

But seriously, who cares if the same questions keep getting asked? If we were to only use the search feature for every question, there would be no talk here at all because pretty much everything has been said at one time or another =D
Now obviously if there were 5 threads on the first page about the same thing, that would be silly, but there isn't.
Every time the same question gets asked, new people participate with new ideas on that topic which perhaps were not shared before in the older posts, especially as technologies and methods change.

September 23, 2007 9:04:25 AM

Well, there were 4 threads when I posted complaining about CPU temps and heatsink glue when I go to www.tomshardware.com and looked at the applet to the right. That's why I said there's 4 threads. There shouldn't be 4 threads that are all basically complaining of the same problem.

Q1: How much glue is too much?
A1: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions....

Q2: My CPU is running hot. What did I do wrong?
A2: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions....

Q3: I wanna overclock. What's a good heatsink glue?
A3: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions....

Q4: So are fingerprints bad on the CPU?
A4: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions....

I'm sure everyone catches my drift.... 99% of problems are user error. What's the most common thing for people to screw up? Probably the correct application of glue #1 and #2 installing the f&*($%# thing into the motherboard. Whoever designed those clips for the Intel socket 775 is a moron. It's damn hard. Every time I do it I think I'm gonna break the motherboard. Sure there should be some force, but when the board starts warping that's not cool.

I really do like the whole idea of pushing your heatsink against a pane of glass to see if it spreads out nicely, but even then I still think that the instructions on AS5's site is going to be the best directions because they have the time and money to figure out the best way to apply it.
September 23, 2007 1:17:40 PM

glue??

And I think it's not nice to call all newbies suckers cyber...
September 23, 2007 5:46:30 PM

Cyberjock--

First of all, those threads are not all on the first page of this forum section right?

Second, they are all kinda asking a different question.

I think people here have just lost patience thus the whole board appears to be a much less friendly place. It's not the noobs who shouldn't post, its' the jaded, too experience, too grouchy gandpas who shouldn't be responding because it is human nature to be curious and ask questions.
And like you say, it is very easy to screw it up (putting chips in and applying the correct amount of paste), so yeah THERE SHOULD BE a lot of threads about this! Not everyone uses the same paste, and not every heat sink\mb\chip is the same.

Things I really hate seeing at all these internet forums is-

1- People who correct others' spelling or grammer errors.

2- Wana be moderators who tell people they are posting in the wrong place.

3- Wana be moderators who tell people they shouldn't post at all, rather use a search feature.

4- Wana be moderators who tell other wana be moderators not to get after others for these mistakes.

Opps! I think I am falling into category 4, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! =0
September 23, 2007 5:57:01 PM

They are all different questions, but that guide will pretty much tell you how to do it right. Like I said above, 99% of CPU heat problems will be user error. The other 1% will actually be something wrong. Bent plate or broken pin on the heat sink not allowing for uniformly distributed pressure across the surface area between the heat sink and the heat spreader on the CPU. I don't think I've seen a post yet where someone posted saying OMG my CPU is soooo hot and then replied that it was something broken. Usually if something is broken(broken mounting pin or plate)you won't be able to install the heatsink anyway because there's no room for tolerance when installing them. So yeah, I consider that guide to be practically all inclusive because if you follow this guide as I'd expect any person with 1/2 a brain to do, then it shouldn't be a problem. People shouldn't try to reinvent how to install a CPU/heatsink combo and just go with what is proven. Especially people building their first rig! How can you possibly build your first rig and 'clearly know better than the a manufacturer of the glue'? I can't imagine too many people that would know alot about the thermodynamics of the setup and be building their first computer too.

Do I lack tact on this post? Yeah. Do I care? Not really.
September 23, 2007 6:05:46 PM

this is for the benefit of all the people that have questions about thermal transfer and how to properly setup a heatsink

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/

after reading the entire article then you should post your questions IF you still have any
September 24, 2007 2:01:12 AM

I realize I should have searched the topic, perhaps next time a private message would do the trick instead of making a huge display for all to see.

Not everyone has a geek friend to ask about computers, and most computer information published to the web is out of date. The only good resources on the subject are in forums. New concepts develop everyday. My hope with this topic was to gain more knowledge than if I had read the transcript of an old topic. Im not saying I should have expected to get everything I need to know on the subject from you folks, but I had hoped to learn something new, unfortunately not the case. I apologize to all of you godly computer techies for wasting your time, but maybe next time you will go about your business a little less rudely.

Don't blame me because of the lack of new and innovative ideas on this topic. Doctors don't always get brain surgeries, they have to deal with runny noses too.

As for cyberjock, you cant compare building a car with building a computer, its just not the same, I didn't make it that way, it just is.
September 24, 2007 5:01:42 AM

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.........
the forum is here to answer your questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Without people like you and others to ask these questions there would be no need for people like me and others to answer them.
I hang out a lot in general homebuilt and get a little irritated with all the new system builds looking for approval when all of them are basically the same, it's times like that when i take a deep breath and see where i can help.
don't let the actions of a individual help form the opinion of the forum in general, there are some really great people here at THG that are always willing to help...........
Is there anything else i can help you with?
September 24, 2007 5:21:19 PM

Frankenstyle said:
I realize I should have searched the topic, perhaps next time a private message would do the trick instead of making a huge display for all to see.

You totally don't get the point of a 'forum' do you? The 2 reasons are:

1. So that many people can see your problem and perhaps provide a solution. More eyes on the same problem increases the chance of it being solved easily.
2. It's so that many people can learn from the mistake of one.

Crazy thought, I know, but it's true! If we all took your advice, I'd get 50 PMs a day instead of 50 posts in a forum. #2 clearly isn't on your mind at all. First you post in a forum without using the search. Then you tell me that you cold have learned the lesson with a PM. #2 has NO value to you whatsoever. If you would have searched, you would have learned from the mistakes of others. If I had sent you a PM, nobody would have learned from your mistake. It would appear that you only intend to troll on this forum. You want people to give so you can take, but not the opposite.

You want to know what else is pretty ironic. I'd bet money that you first found this website from a search engine. I'm SURE you use google.com or some other search engine. So I laugh when someone tries to tell me that 'perhaps I should have searched the topic'. Anyone in their right mind would think of that before posting. Whether they choose to do it or not is a differenet problem. Your question wasn't overly complex or difficult to answer. There was no special 'keywords and tricky phrases' that made searching for your question impossible. You just want to get YOUR questions answered and you don't care if anyone else learns anything. :non: 
September 24, 2007 5:42:20 PM

Quote from cyberjock--
"You just want to get YOUR questions answered and you don't care if anyone else learns anything."

LOL! What the hell?

Sorry man, but I totally disagree. This isn't sesame street, we are not all here to enlighten each other in some majestic way. People are here to get questions answered, and why should it matter if no others learn?

So we should only ask questions that will teach everyone something? That is the purpose of a forum? lol?

Blah, the more you try to explain your position the more I shake my head in confusion! But I think I know what is going on here...
You veteran toms hardware forum members, think that this is YOUR forum, but it isn't, so stop acting like you own the d@mn thing, sit back and enjoy the ride! You can't control the public, so why bother? =D
September 24, 2007 7:54:34 PM

I am seriously baffled by some peoples inability to be civil to one another. Does anyone honestly think that a polite reply is somehow less effective at directing someone to the search feature than a rude one?

Speaking from past experience of having run a successful game related forum I know that seeing some of the same posts come up again can be frustrating but I don't believe that is really justification to give someone a hard time for what was more than likely an honest mistake. Sure if he continues to repeatedly clutter the forum then a slap can be necessary. But otherwise a quick note that the search feature should be the first port of call and/or a point in the direction of any available answers is by far the better option in my eyes. Who knows keep it up and you may wake up one day feeling like a nicer person inside.

Alternatively you can continue your method but I would wager that given human nature you are just going to be met with more confrontation like you found here and that doesn't really make a whole lot of sense for someone apparently wishing there was less clutter in the forum.

Anyway sorry for going off topic. Just my thoughts on the matter.
September 24, 2007 8:55:16 PM

Frankenstyle said:
If someone was someone was posed with the option to ask someone something

lol just out of curiosity can you find the US on this map?

September 25, 2007 2:31:19 AM

cyberjock said:
You totally don't get the point of a 'forum' do you? The 2 reasons are:

1. So that many people can see your problem and perhaps provide a solution. More eyes on the same problem increases the chance of it being solved easily.
2. It's so that many people can learn from the mistake of one.

Crazy thought, I know, but it's true! If we all took your advice, I'd get 50 PMs a day instead of 50 posts in a forum.

I was talking about you, good sir. If you have a problem with me, make it with me, not the entire community. Keep private matters private instead of trying to make a big scene over spilled milk, even if it is spilled on tom's forums.

I apologized and you immediately jump on the chance to have a go at me again. I'm starting to think you just like to be the bully, and you prefer to do it under an alias on a forum. Weather you win or lose an argument, or just keep kicking a dead horse doesn't really matter. I apologized, want me to send you reparations too?

I don't really understand it myself. I've seen other posts you've made that really were interesting, and I'm not counting you out entirely, this has just gotten out of hand, and you don't seem to want to help the situation.

Thank you mad-dog, gamebro, etc.

Quote:
Frankenstyle wrote :
If someone was someone was posed with the option to ask someone something

lol just out of curiosity can you find the US on this map?

You bring out my dumber side, yet you still use 'lol'.
That is pretty bad I have to admit.
September 25, 2007 9:50:53 AM

gamebro said:
Quote from cyberjock--
"You just want to get YOUR questions answered and you don't care if anyone else learns anything."

LOL! What the hell?

Sorry man, but I totally disagree. This isn't sesame street, we are not all here to enlighten each other in some majestic way. People are here to get questions answered, and why should it matter if no others learn?

So we should only ask questions that will teach everyone something? That is the purpose of a forum? lol?

Blah, the more you try to explain your position the more I shake my head in confusion! But I think I know what is going on here...
You veteran toms hardware forum members, think that this is YOUR forum, but it isn't, so stop acting like you own the d@mn thing, sit back and enjoy the ride! You can't control the public, so why bother? =D

Nope. You don't seem to get the point either. It's not about looking for the questions that everyone can learn something from. The questions that I like to have answers for are FAR more sophisticated than I could probably ask in a thread, let alone read the answer to. Others could be happy hearing "You can't plug in the power supply plug backwards. It's keyed to only go in 1 way." It's about asking a question when the forum doesn't provide a sufficient answer after searching(Except where people are too ignorant to use the search feature and instead post a new thread expecting an answer). Then, the answer(hopefully) get put up on the forum. Next month when some other random person happens across the same problem they use the search feature. Lo and behold your question that was originally designed to solve your problem has helped someone else. Your goal was to get your answer, but the goal of the forum is to help everyone. See how you help others? Now... imagine a forum where the same question is hashed out 5000 times. Does seeing the exact same answer 5000 times really help? Nope. Instead you see 5000 different answers, some contradict each other and the poor soul that's looking for the answer only gets even more confused. I'm not saying that nobody should post for fear of being wrong, just that having tons and tons of the same posts only clutters up the forum with the same thing over and over.

Ideally, a forum would slowly accumulate the sum of all knowledge within the scope of that forum. Unfortunately, we're accumulating the sum of the number of people that can possibly post asking the same question over and over.

Forums aren't supposed to provide statistics of "how many people can ask the same question and get the same answer", but "how many people can post thought provoking questions and get answers that solve those problems".

Now, if you don't like the way that data is shared directly with the person starting the thread, and indirectly sharing the knowledge of that thread with anyone else via the wonderful search feature, then forums aren't for you.
September 25, 2007 11:35:04 AM

Oh comeon people; stop wasting your talents for this useless fight and use your energy for something productive; eg helping people here. You can decide freely which questions you'd like to answer is that not so?
!