X1650XT change to 2600XT worth it ?

Ok guys i have a rig that is pretty much at the end of its life it has a Athalon 64 3000+ CPU with 1 Gig of ram and running a X1650XT but this is the thing ....Its AGP yes i know :( .
Im in the middle of specing up a new one but was wondering if it would be worth while putting a 2600XT AGP in it (If i can find one).Dont understand why the rest are out but not the XT? Oh well anyway.
Is it worth swapping the X1650XT for a 2600XT ? The plan is to leave it in the same room as the tv and let the kids/grandkids play games on it and use it for a HTPC in the evenings.
I dont perticually want to get much of a performance hit from doing it though as i may self build so would want to run it for myself for a bit to begin with.
I know its not cutting edge but it does what i want it to do at the min im just worried that it may not if the 2600XT is worse in gaming.
Thanks in advance
Mactronix

Im not looking for more performance just thought that i could use it as a combined HTPC and gaming rig for the kids but if the performance went down then it wouldnt be worth the kids using it to play on thats why i wanted to know how the two cards compared .
If its worth it or not isnt relevant it not like an upgrade but thought i might get a bit of both worlds out of it.
Otherwise its got to either stay as it is and give it to the kids as is. Or it gets a 2400 thrown at it and use it as a dedicated HTPC.
By the way im in the UK and a 2600pro is £50 and a 2400 is £40 so its not like throwing a lot of money at it anyway.
Mactronix

kpo6969

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
Then it would be a good option, sorry to rush to judgement. At least options are still being offered for AGP. Nvidia has some comming up to I believe I saw. Good luck.

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
if you're using it for HTPC than YES, I sat go for it, as that is what the cards were designed to perform at. If you aren't worried about performance in games than go for it. It's cheap, it works, it does what you want. So heck, why not get it? It' snot like it's costing you an arm and a leg. hehe.

here is the HD2600XT's AGP.

http://www.nextag.com/VisionTek-ATI-Radeon-HD-560108122/prices-html

I agree its currently a waste but next year at a much lower price may make it worth the compatibility alone.

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Might be worth it considering how much other computer stuff you want to be purchasing in the near future. The only saving grace I see for the idea is the HTPC aspect for decodes. I've found XTs in the $180 range, but since you're not really looking to game you could probably get away with a Pro like someone else said.

-mcg