Can't save to DVD's

sullys0

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
I am trying to save pics to DVD. I can back-up my movies using different burning tools but I cannot save any pictures (or any file for that matter) to DVD. When I right click and go to the <send to> process it shows my cd-rw drive but not my dvd-rw drive. Also, when I put in a DVD it changes the drive listing from DVD-RAM Drive to CD Drive. I just bought a new drive becuase I thought it was a problem with my older but they both do the same thing. This was an OEM so I didnt get an install disk. I d/l the latest firmware and installed from windows and it said "install successful". Any ideas?

Windows XP SP2
Sony Optiarc DVD RW AD-7190A

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
That's because windows recognizes the blank DVD as a CD, if you install nero or any other DVD burning software and set it to DVD you'll be able to back up photos and files.

PS: When I insert a blank DVD in my DVD-RAM it also reads blank CD, so I'd say it's normal.

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Try downloading a trial of Nero, Roxio, or some other burning suite. I'd recommend a freeware version except that I don't know of any. I've always bought DVD burners that came with free (non-trial) software and have been using the freebies for years.

-mcg

jwbb00

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
If you wanted to use cd's instead, you could use Media Player as your burn software. Otherwise, as previously stated, you will need 3rd party software.

sullys0

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
thanks for the help everyone. i have nero and had tried it but wasn't using the right program. Nero has a program called startsmart that is a launcher for all your storage needs. been working on this on and off for a year and took me 5 minutes to finish it. :lol:

thanks again!@